Louisiana Tech Football UNT Game Press Conference

Harry

Opening Comments:

“Wrapping up our win last week against Louisiana-Lafayette, I was really proud of our team. We talked all week and one of the challenges that we had, was to play that game with confidence. It is very difficult sometimes, when you have not won a lot of games, to have confidence. We asked, do you win and gain confidence, or do you gain confidence and win. For this football team right now, I think that confidence has been built over the last eight months which I think is a testament to Kurt Hester and these layers with how good they want to be and how hard they have worked. I think the confidence they played with Saturday, which I thought was one of the keys to the game, has been built over the past year. I think that is a testament to these players and their leadership.”

On looking forward to the North Texas game:

“We do not look in asking ‘What if we are 2-1 or what if we are 1-2.’ We do not look forward as much as we put our nose to the grind and stone and say ‘What do we have to do to get ready for this game.’ As a head coach you can look forward and say that 2-1 would be nice but we have to make sure that we stay humble and hungry with our battle cry. Then we have to come in here and play a rivalry game with Northwestern State where there is a lot of history with that game. They are going to come in here with their hair on fire, ready to play that game. Then we have to go to Auburn. We play a UTEP team that is strong and playing really well right now. We said we were going to try and get through those first six games, and then we have an open date. At that point we can take a deep breath, look at where we are and look at what kind of football team we can have. If we can find a way to start 2-1, that can show very positive signs of marked improvement.”

On the balance of North Texas:

“I think everyone wants to have balance. When you look at what they do, that is what they do well and that is what they are going to make you stop. They are still going to get in some other formations and spread the quarterback out. Whoever has the chalk last, normally can win, when you start drawing x’s and o’s on the board. They do enough to keep you off balance so you cannot say ‘We just have to stop this play.’ They are going to give you a load of formations. They are huge upfront. They have 360 pounds at guard, 330 pounds at tackle. They are big and physical. They come off the ball. You watch them against Texas and their running back runs it in there, falls forward and it is second and five. They have three running backs, one is a transfer from Purdue. That is against a Texas team that is very talented and has that same type of size and girth. They are going to make us play in a phone booth. That is the type of game that they want. They want to make it a physical game and they do it very well. That is why they are having the success that they are having. They have done a great job with that program and I have great respect for Coach McCarney.

On keeping up with the physicality of North Texas:

“It is still going to be a 60 minute game and I think that would help, but I do not think it is going to change their identity. As this season goes on, they are learning what they can do and they are highlighting those things. I think if you can find a way to get a lead and make them play a little more with the passing game, it certainly would be better than those guys running down hill and coming at you.”

Read more: http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090814aac.html