Matt Davis to SMU

NT03

Well, uh, SMwho might pose as a bigger threat than I was anticipating. SMU signed a 5 star QB out of Arkansas last year. He's started the last few games of the season and was going to be the projected starter for them this season. He's a pocket passer so I hope he gets the start over this guy. Our defense isn't set up too well to defend dual threat guys.

Oh, so he committed to ATM with the thought process of stealing the heisman trophy winners job? Then transfers? Is he eligible this year?

When he committed to A&M Johnny Manziel was an early enrollee, in his first semester at A&M after graduating high school a semester early and Sherman was still their coach. By the time he got to campus Johnny was the co #1 with current UTEP starting qb Jameil Showers. So no, his thought process in his commitment had nothing to do with associating Johnny Manziel and the Heisman trophy.

He should be eligible, since he sat out last year. He was apparently going to go the JUCO route but I don't know where he ended up

• Upvote 2

Well, uh, SMwho might pose as a bigger threat than I was anticipating. SMU signed a 5 star QB out of Arkansas last year. He's started the last few games of the season and was going to be the projected starter for them this season. He's a pocket passer so I hope he gets the start over this guy. Our defense isn't set up too well to defend dual threat guys.

Where was Neal Burcham rated 5 stars? He made the elite 11 finals, so ESPN had to bump him to a 4, but everywhere else he was a 3 or 2 star. But yeah, they seemed pretty committed to him once Gilbert went down.

I agree. I like our defense much better going against a pocket passer than a dual threat.

Edited by BillySee58

Well, all this preseason "team speed" is going to have to step up to the plate in that game if he starts. I don't know if this guy would have came to North Texas, but my bet is out coaching staff didn't even bat man eye at this guy. "Too athletic of a guy to play QB." Or "We need a guy here that can be efficient at handing the ball off, not a potential game-changing superstar."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

Ponyfans discussing whether or not he will even play QB -- he sounds like a great athlete but not a very accurate passer:

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72599&sid=61bfe4a400265f8260ceee4263311dd9

Back when he first committed to A&M I watched his sophomore highlights, since he was injured his junior year, and was very underwhelmed. It was all amazing rushing plays, but nothing of note passing the ball.

Then his senior year he went out and completed just 47.5% of his passes. But yeah, he's a tremendous athlete. Not much to be scared of from his arm.

Back when he first committed to A&M I watched his sophomore highlights, since he was injured his junior year, and was very underwhelmed. It was all amazing rushing plays, but nothing of note passing the ball.

Then his senior year he went out and completed just 47.5% of his passes. But yeah, he's a tremendous athlete. Not much to be scared of from his arm.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/fball/2013-14/players/mattdavispb4x

Yeah, I was digging the internet deep. He won't play QB at SMwho unless Junes Jones is getting ready to change his offense. He will move to WR or S. Whew.

But 2 posts earlier you were ready for the coaching staff to make room for him to come in and be Seneca Wallace.

• Upvote 5

Then why would you quote and reply to what someone wrote...IN THE PAST?!?!?!?!?!

bc when I'm typing this on my phone it is the present to me. When you read it it's the past to me, but your future. My words are your future. I am your future. Hang on to my every word. Then ridicule it if that makes you feel better.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

bc when I'm typing this on my phone it is the present to me. When you read it it's the past to me, but your future. My words are your future. I am your future. Hang on to my every word. Then ridicule it if that makes you feel better.

Coach Gooding - You, sir, are a trip (and don't take that as a compliment, because it isn't)!

• Upvote 1