Another off-season T-shirt idea

greenjoe

I've read some of the T-shirt idea bandied around here for a while. I'd like to see a shirt that asks for help in the stands. The same idea as "HIT 6" from last season, "HIT 32" in order to try to sell out Apogee for at least the home opener against Southern Meth.

We can all contribute to HIT 32, especially the students.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

The students will do their part in the bigger games. Last year in the "big" games against Rice & UTEP (homecoming) the students were 10-12k deep. That will rival any P5 conference student section. The issue of not being able to sellout isn't on the students. It's on the alums, casual fans, and the little support the town gives. If the town got more involved i.e. Billboards, apparel such as posters & jerseys in bars and restaurants, UNT nights at bars, car decals and flags, etc. then there would be far more interest by the casual fan to get out and watch some games.

Surely there could be enough donations from this board alone to get a billboard up in Denton for the next couple of months. A designed billboard by the folks on GMG and slap it up on I35 somewhere in Denton. No?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Right hand read or left?

"Traditional" - 14"x48" ?

lol I have no idea. I just called the number that was plastered on the billboard. 9k is 9k. I was saying it's something we could look into collectively and if enough folks on this is interested it could be a consideration. It would give GMG a lot of validity.

there is a UNT supporter in Denton that gets billboards at 30% less than retail (calling Lamar and CBS like you did).

School would have serious issues with ANY privatized billboard by GMG going up without consent.

Obviously nothing would be put up without the consent of the university. It's their brand, we'd have to ask to use it. I see that as an easy obstacle to hurdle. The hardest obstacle would be raising money for it. It's just an idea Quoner, people such as yourself is why ideas get drug through the mud and never grow legs.

Places like ATM, UT, LSU, etc. their alum base would and could get a billboard up the next day. We need to elevate our support collectively. Shouldn't really be an excuse in place. Support or get out of the way.

Obviously nothing would be put up without the consent of the university. It's their brand, we'd have to ask to use it. I see that as an easy obstacle to hurdle. The hardest obstacle would be raising money for it. It's just an idea Quoner, people such as yourself is why ideas get drug through the mud and never grow legs.

Places like ATM, UT, LSU, etc. their alum base would and could get a billboard up the next day. We need to elevate our support collectively. Shouldn't really be an excuse in place. Support or get out of the way.

His point is not that ideas shouldn't be looked at on their own merit, his point is that the merit of billboards are low. We have had the discussion many times on this board, but billboards are not an effective medium of advertising. Most of us have been programmed to not look at them, or more likely, forget what they said before we get out of the car and are able to action whatever information was presented. While not the most expensive method of advertising, they also don't offer much in the way of ad-effectiveness and measurable return.

Yeah, I understand that. I also am not in the advertising business. I think it would be nice to get a sharp looking billboard about North Texas football that catches the eye and looks legit. It'd be a hell of a lot better than the above the rest for thousands less that North Texas has going up and down I35. A good looking football billboard would advertise the football program and in hand the school.

Yeah, I understand that. I also am not in the advertising business. I think it would be nice to get a sharp looking billboard about North Texas football that catches the eye and looks legit. It'd be a hell of a lot better than the above the rest for thousands less that North Texas has going up and down I35. A good looking football billboard would advertise the football program and in hand the school.

Well if your point is the school's current billboard campaign is terrible, we are not going to fight at all, but the billboard topic is an annual GMG tradition and has been for more than a decade. You're just the latest to carry the torch. There's a lot of things the money for a billboard could do (you're basically pissing away a month's worth of a solid digital campaign with SEO or an effective media blitz around earned opportunities.)

Also, you realize the quoted post above basically say "yes, I understand this is a low return investment, but I also don't work in advertising. Here are my additional thoughts on both items," right?

• Upvote 1

Yes, I understand all of that. I am not that adamant about getting a billboard up. But if the school can piss away money for the terrible and I mean absolutely terrible billboards up right now, why can't they piss the money away for a sweet UNT football billboard? It does the same thing, promotion of North Texas.

Yes, I understand all of that. I am not that adamant about getting a billboard up. But if the school can piss away money for the terrible and I mean absolutely terrible billboards up right now, why can't they piss the money away for a sweet UNT football billboard? It does the same thing, promotion of North Texas.

I really can't argue with that logic if those are the only choices presented. If you really want to shudder, just think of the cost of the creative work and campaign planning that went behind the message getting relayed by those boards.

We need some kind of signage around Dallas to promote the SMU game ( perhaps in conjunction with SMU) that would get our alumni base and SMU fans to the game. To do that, we should advertise the hell out of DART and the A Train as a way to get to the game. The SMU express could get people to the DART line that connects to the A train and the UNT shuttle could bring people to the game from downtown Denton. If I were a downtown merchant I would be pushing this idea like crazy. Why should all those fans from Dallas bypass downtown and completely skirt Denton in their automobiles?

We need to use billboards, newspaper ads radio-tv spots and any other means possible to promote this game and safely get people to Apogee. I know these things can be expensive, but they will more than pay for themselves if we can get people to our games in something besides an automobile. The SMU game is an excellent opportunity to really get this thing going. Billboards and newspapers may seem old fashioned to some, but they still work.

• Upvote 1

Billboards are old news. We need sign twirling hip kids.

Can you imagine how many "sign twirling hip kids" NT good hire for $1,500. Probably be able to put one on every major intersection in Denton.