MGB: Former New Mexico DBs plan on enrolling at UNT

Brett Vito

Hlmmm, does anyone know how these guys stacked up, rating wise, against the other DB's that we signed that recruitment year?

I believe David Busby is the only DB recruited that year who is still on the roster

Edited by NT03

For me the big story is continued evidence that UNT is a great place for kids to come play. Hopefully we'll get more kids to see that before signing elsewhere. Specifically for these kids, even if they never start a game for us the added depth and competition can only push everyone to be their best.

• Upvote 4

For me the big story is continued evidence that UNT is a great place for kids to come play. Hopefully we'll get more kids to see that before signing elsewhere. Specifically for these kids, even if they never start a game for us the added depth and competition can only push everyone to be their best.

The level and quantity of transfer players is really encouraging. Our reasonable tuition and proximity to the rich DFW recruiting geography is a huge advantage.

Well, they got playing time as freshman in 2012. Yes 2012 New Mexico was pretty bad, but that is a sign they might be ready to go pretty soon and that they have real potential. Also the reason they are transfers now is probably as begning a reason to be a transfer as you can find out there. No drugs, or academic issues or alike, but rather something that often does get better as kids get older and become adults.

With the 105 roster spot limit, UNT has limited spots for walk-ons, even good ones, because that is how deep and strong the UNT walkon program is right now. But it sounds like these two deserve roster spots to show what they can do.

If these kids don't like being yelled at then Coach Mac and Skladany are not the coaches for them. They both hold players accountable for mistakes and let them know when they've made one. Hope the Jackson brothers have grown since being yelled at in New Mexico for the lack of productive play.

• Upvote 4

Vito mentioned Chris Barnett (L.D. Bell/Michigan) may be walking on also in his DRC blog a couple of days ago:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6894742/chris-barnett-leaves-michigan-wolverines

Interesting, I stood right next to him at practice. Big guy. Hope he can join the team.

Hmmm, as of August 25th 2011 he left the team. And since that time where has he been?

Good question. He's bounced around from what I can tell. He was at A. Maceo Smith where his dad was the head coach, transferred to Trinity for a while, then onto L.D. Bell. He committed to O.U. then switched to Michigan near signing day. Here's his Rivals page:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Chris-Barnett-89918

Good question. He's bounced around from what I can tell. He was at A. Maceo Smith where his dad was the head coach, transferred to Trinity for a while, then onto L.D. Bell. He committed to O.U. then switched to Michigan near signing day. Here's his Rivals page:

This guy got all kind of offers from Major Division I teams. So is this guy going to sign with us? Billy58see, do you know anything about this guy?

This guy got all kind of offers from Major Division I teams. So is this guy going to sign with us? Billy58see, do you know anything about this guy?

He is going to (maybe) walk on. If he has been out of football for 2 years, he would fm have to walk on wherever he went.

Very meh on this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Apparently Barnett and Anthony Wallace are friends, according to this article. But this kid has bounced around more than a pinball. 5 different high schools, committed to OU and Arkansas before signing with Michigan. Not sure where he was the past few years.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Chris-Barnett-took-winding-road-to-Michigan-031211

Also, pretty sure he was at LD Bell before Trinity. I was a senior the same year as Barnett, and Trinity was the team that knocked us out in the 3rd round my junior and senior year. I remember seeing that he had transferred to Trinity for our senior year and thinking "dang, now that have him!" Although he didn't actually end up playing that year. Definitely a physical specimen, though.

Fwiw, A Maceo Smith got closed down for bad test grades.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

If these kids don't like being yelled at then Coach Mac and Skladany are not the coaches for them. They both hold players accountable for mistakes and let them know when they've made one. Hope the Jackson brothers have grown since being yelled at in New Mexico for the lack of productive play.

Where does it say they left UNM because they didn't like being yelled at? Where does it say they were not productive and were immature? It just said there was amdisagrrement with Davies.

Where does it say they left UNM because they didn't like being yelled at? Where does it say they were not productive and were immature? It just said there was amdisagrrement with Davies.

It's evident you didn't read the articles that Brett linked.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2013/8/9/4607592/new-mexico-dismisses-cornerbacks-rashad-jackson-vershad-jackson-from-team

I trust that they've had discussions with the coaches about the issues at UNM and the expectation that discipline for one is not license for the other to go AWOL.

It seems to be a no lose situation for NT and a continued sign of the impact our recruiting efforts make even a couple years down the line (Xavier Washington, I'm looking at you...)

Edited by jdennis82