Early look ahead to UNT 2015 recruiting (offense)

BillySee58

Very early, I know, but now that the 2014 signing day is now behind us, 2015 recruiting is here with an upcoming junior day on Saturday. If Chumley, Graham, and Jackson all do go through with the grayshirts and we don't sign anyone late then that will put us at 77 projected scholarship players for next season. With 17 seniors, plus the 8 open scholarship spots, we should be able to sign the class max of 25 players. Not to mention kids inevitably will transfer or quit, although some scholarships may be filled by walkons. Regardless, we should be able to sign 25.

Here's a position-by-position breakdown of how many scholarship seniors we are projected to have and how many scholarship non seniors will be on the roster next year. Then how many we may sign in the 2015 class.

RB - Seniors: 1 - non Seniors: 5 -

Projected 2015 signees: 1

Another position where we could get away with not signing any. The skill players we signed in the 2014 class will allow us to be very picky with skill players in 2015. I would still be surprised if we didn't sign 1 back. Could just be a "best available player" type recruitment where there is a good back that we'd have a chance at getting, or an "athlete." Telling a kid you're only taking him at running back for the class is a nice sales pitch.

Also, Coach Mac said in the presser yesterday that he will always have at least 1 RB per class, citing what happened this year with Pegram going down, then asking Rollins to step up only to see him go down and having to ask Mark Lewis to step up.

• Upvote 2

Also, Coach Mac said in the presser yesterday that he will always have at least 1 RB per class, citing what happened this year with Pegram going down, then asking Rollins to step up only to see him go down and having to ask Mark Lewis to step up.

Thanks. Good to know. Yeah, it's definitely a nice position to have solid depth at. I think the days of seeing Jamario Thomas, Lance Dunbar, and Patrick Cobbs numbers are behind us. We're going to see a steady rotation and hurt you with different backs, and different styles of backs, coming in fresh.
  • Upvote 1

Good work, young Billy. You remind me of a football version of a young Tasty (before he became The Man and got all grumpypants) or NT03,

And that is high praise.

Thank you very much, 90 and everyone else. Glad you guys appreciate this kind of stuff. I don't have what the intellect that those guys do, but glad I can contribute to the board when I can.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...