We HAVE to hang on...

Ben Gooding

We need a Couple more winning seasons and bowl wins before we will see all our recruits commit and stick with us. we are still down the line in the eyes of recruits but on our way up with a good coaching staff and a head coach that wants to win here.

I do believe all our football related venues inside the Mean Green Village (including fabulous Apogee Stadium) has allowed North Texas to jettison much from our past that used to hold us back.

I think we are further ahead in the recruiting game than we may even realize. Recent NCAA FBS level transfers to North Texas and many of that group with true FBS pedigree also plays a big part in all this, too, even if we didn't get them as true freshmen. Something good along with many positive benefits at North Texas sold that group of transfers and caused them want to transfer to Mean Green Country, right? (Part of that group of transfers and one who will be eligible this Fall is a 4 star recruit from a PAC 12 school).

:bling:Sig381, as you said, though, another 2 or 3 winning seasons in a row would further help the cause and many of us now see that as being most do-able when we could not feel that way in the past.

The UNT coaching staff + top shelf venues have really warp sped us up the food chain IMHO. Also, just look at all the P5 schools we have started competing with for many of our recruits as being a pretty big clue, too.

In another area but still relating to this present recruiting season, but those 35,000 traveling Mean Green fans at a bowl game and on New Years Day has also made a huge impression with many Texas HS recruits and I'd bet even a few outside the Lone Star State. We had UNT fans from all over the Lone Star State, the Southwest and across the USA who drove or flew into DFW Airport (or Love Field) who were inside the historic Cotton Bowl stadium to watch their school's football team in this bowl game......many of us are still amazed at what we witnessed that day.

Let this really sink in............"35,000" North Texas fans who showed for a bowl game with only 1 winning season out of almost a decade in MG Country. It that isn't a big time indicator or barometer as to the tremendous upside of a Dan McCarney-led North Texas Mean Green football program then I don't know what is. I know others of our fellow D-FW NCAA FBS schools and many beyond more than noticed all this, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

To our recruits!!! P5 schools are starting to try and fill up their classes. In other words, the cherry picking is almost in full swing. We gotta hang on to these guys.

I ain't talking while the flavor lasts.
  • Upvote 1

Now is the time to ask them..."Do you want to see if the coaches change the depth chart at Big Football U., or help us be the first UNT team to beat Texas in Austin?" ;)

This reasoning is a bit far fetched and even sketchy, but sometimes the first game under a new coach comes off a little clunky. I doubt that we will beat Texas, of course, but perhaps we can make a game of it.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying flat out, "We'll beat UT this year, book it!" or anything but we're getting some momentum off of guys who are seeing the value of making an impact at schools like ours instead of waiting to see if they finally get a shot, a la Trice. If we pull in a dozen of those types who have to make a similar choice, plus have the rest solidly conditioned before they hit the field, that's when we'll start to see the bigger upsets we've been waiting for. I really hope this is the year we see that, but if not, maintaining a consistent upswing with these methods will provide that outcome very soon. As competitive as they may be in wanting to prove themselves, it seems like more are beginning to see that the P5s shore up a ton of highly recruited talent but not all of them get to play. The competitive nature also pushes them to want to actually play in games, and they can prove themselves AND provide competition that brings up the work and talent of the guys who were lesser recruited. I may be wrong, but staying optimistic without a specific deadline for your optimism to come to fruition makes it easier to keep hoping it will happen! :)

• Upvote 2

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GMG&amp;src=hash">#GMG</a> Best Recruiting Class in the nation!</p>&mdash; Goree (@_TGoree_) <a href="https://twitter.com/_TGoree_/statuses/427265102752911360">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edit:How do you get just the tweet up there and not all of that other stuff?

Edited by Rudy