DMN Best in Texas Week 11

ColoradoEagle

Where somehow SMU is better than Rice.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/11/best-in-texas-breakdown-no-debate-anymore-baylor-bears-unanimous-no-1.html/

Rank Team Points Last Week
1. Baylor (8-0) 120 (10) 1.
2. Texas A&M (8-2) 110 2.
3. Texas (7-2) 100 3.
4. Texas Tech (7-3) 89 4.
5. Houston (7-2) 78 5.
6. TCU (4-6) 71 6.
7. North Texas (7-3) 61 7.
8. SMU (3-5) 46 8.
9. Rice (6-3) 44 9.
10. Texas State (6-3) 28 10.
11. UTSA (5-5) 23 11.
12. UTEP (1-8) 10 12.

For fun, I looked at MySA's Dirty Dozen:

Here is our Dirty Dozen ranking the 12 Texas FBS teams after this week’s games.

1. Baylor (8-0, 5-0, next game Saturday vs. Texas Tech @ Arlington) — The Bears answered a lot of questions with resounding beatdown over old nemesis Oklahoma. The victory was even more impressive considering all of the injuries to the offense. A clear path to their first Big 12 title is present. All they have to do is keep winning.

2. Texas A&M (8-2, 4-2, next game Nov. 23 @ LSU) — The Johnny Manziel era may have ended Saturday in his likely final game. If so, he would leave Aggieland with a 4-4 record in home SEC games. Much more remains this season, with much defensive work needed over the off week with LSU, Missouri looming.)

3. Texas (7-2, 6-0, next game Saturday vs. OklahomaState) — Saturday’s wild victory at West Virginia has to be one of the sweetest of Mack Brown’s coaching career. Despite his detractors, Brown has done a remarkable job of getting the wheels back on the Longhorns and into first place in the Big 12. The really hard part starts Saturday with games against three teams that will provide the biggest challenge to the Longhorns.

4. Texas Tech (7-3, 4-3, next game Saturday vs. Baylor @ Arlington) — Three losses. Three consecutive opponents who have rammed the ball right at the injury-ravaged Red Raiders’ defensive front. And the worst could be happening next week when Matt Wallerstedt will have to cook up a antidote to Baylor’s vaunted running game.

5. Houston (7-2, 4-1, next game Saturday @ Louisville) — The Cougars’ BCS hopes are gone after a tough loss at UCF. But the Cougars might be one of the nation’s most underrated teams with their two losses to BYU and UCF by a combined six points. A tough chore awaits Saturday at Louisville without starting CB Zach McMillian for the first half.

6. North Texas (7-3, 5-1, next game Nov. 23 vs. UTSA) — Mean Green are playing some of the best defense in the country after notching eight sacks vs. UTEP in 41-7 conquest. That makes five consecutive opponents who have scored 16 points or less against them. The big game might have proven something to bowl scouts, too, after 26,119 turned out to Apogee Stadium to watch the game.

7. Rice (6-3, 4-1, next game Saturday vs. Louisiana Tech) — Owls will have a 16-game break before returning to action against the Bulldogs. But from there, it will get tough as they Louisiana Tech and at UAB in a five-day period that will likely determine their bowl prospects.

8. TCU (4-6, 2-5, next game Saturday @ Kansas State) — Clutch late scoring drive keyed by Aaron Green’s big runs kept the Horned Frogs’ fleeting bowl hopes alive. But it won’t get easier as they catch sizzling Kansas State and their bruising running game next week.

9. UTSA (5-5, 4-2, next game Nov. 23 @ North Texas) — Soza-to-Grubb will go down as the most pivotal moment in UTSA’s brief history. But even more impressive than the gritty victory over Tulane was the solid depth after David Glasco II and Evans Okotcha went down with injuries. Toss in the strong crowd support at the Alamodome and the Roadrunners are far, far ahead of schedule.

10. Texas State (6-3, 2-2, next game @ ArkansasState) — TSU athletic director Larry Teis vows to “keep no stone unturned” in his quest to place the Bobcats into a bowl game for the first time in their brief FBS history. Their hopes will be bolstered a strong performance at underrated Arkansas State next week.

11. SMU (3-5, 2-2, next game Saturday vs. Connecticut) — The Mustangs had no trouble moving the ball on Cincinnati’s fourth-ranked defense, but broke down because of a slew of mistakes. Garrett Gilbert is playing better than at any time in his career and the Mustangs still have bowl hopes. And their Dec. 7 game against UCF could give them a chance for a lot of national attention.

12. UTEP (1-8, 0-5, next game Saturday vs. FIU) — Pity freshman QB Mark Leftwich who endured a true baptism by fire after he was sacked eight times by UNT. The Miners inept special teams play continued again as they had a kick blocked for the fifth straight week. But hope might be coming to the Sun Bowl with the arrival of 1-8 FIU.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

I would put Houston above Tech. I don't think Tech wins again.

Same on both.

I think being listed as 6th (by the SA paper) is pretty fair. I do think that Texas, A&M, Baylor, Tech, and Houston are all better than us -- right now -- so I see no shame in landing at the top of the rest. Just need to take care of business and finish off this season of reemergence with a C-USA Conf Champ game appearance then we can watch the recruiting wins start rolling in.

I would put Houston above Tech. I don't think Tech wins again.

I can't buy into Houston yet. Their best win is vs Rice & it was only by 6 if I recall

Only other team they have beat with a winning record wax Rutgers

* This is all off top of my head , so please correct me if I'm wrong

I can't buy into Houston yet. Their best win is vs Rice & it was only by 6 if I recall

I think they've had some quality losses, too -- if that could be called a thing. 1 point to BYU and 5 to a good, ranked UCF team. But the lion's share of their quality opponents is still on the schedule.

We'll know exactly how good (or not) they are after playing @ Louisville and vs Cincinnati in consecutive weeks. Who knows, maybe the Mean Green will slide into the 5 slot -- or better.

Not going to use the same argument for Texas Tech? They have played 4 FBS teams with winning records and are 1-3 vs those. Their only win out of that group was against TX State. So who is their best win? 6-3 TX State? 4-6 WVU? 4-6 TCU? 3-5 SMU? 2-7 KU? 1-8 ISU?

Rutgers is as good or better than Rice. Their 3 losses are to (depending on the poll) #14 and undefeated Fresno, #13 with 1 loss Louisville, and Houston. Rice's worst loss was to a team having a very good year, but no offense, you're not at the level of Fresno or Louisville right now, getting closer to Houston (unless we beat Louisville this week), and looking better every week.

• Upvote 2

Those San Antonio rankings are way more accurate than those from the DMN. SMU is erratic but their average game is just worse than UTSA and Tx States average games. Not even taling about rice. And the guy voting for SMU ahead of NT makes me believe people should have to get a license in order to be allowed to write about college football.

• Upvote 1