One Bye Week topic: Postgame at The Alumni Pavilion

ADLER

4 of 6 home games remaining for the year...what's the biggest hurdle that would prevent rolling with this? I mean, it seems like such a great idea that you could move on quickly. Other than getting the actual approval needed, it would seem like anything else you would need to do this should be pretty easy, no?

What's the barrier(s) to doing it this year? We have a hot team, and lots of people are starting to notice. At the risk of sounding cliche..ish...."strike while the iron is hot"

Christopher? Kram? I think these are legitimate questions, and I agree that it seems like a great idea to start this season, even if for nothing more than preparing for next season.

Is it posible for this season? If it's not, is there anything that we could do to help make it possible?

• Upvote 1

I think part of the holdup may be what KRAM pointed out as the issue with serving beer at Apogee...you need to have the TABC certified people available for postgame if you'll have alcohol there. Since they're already there during the game for the areas with booze, I would think you'd just need to get some on board to stay late. Aside from that, it seems like everything else should be pretty simple to roll out quickly.

• Upvote 1

I think part of the holdup may be what KRAM pointed out as the issue with serving beer at Apogee...you need to have the TABC certified people available for postgame if you'll have alcohol there. Since they're already there during the game for the areas with booze, I would think you'd just need to get some on board to stay late. Aside from that, it seems like everything else should be pretty simple to roll out quickly.

I think the postgame tailgating could be a real selling point for the alumni association. I'll even be willing to cover the costs for the first keg of beer.

Kram, would it be possible for this to start this season?

I think the postgame tailgating could be a real selling point for the alumni association. I'll even be willing to cover the costs for the first keg of beer.

Kram, would it be possible for this to start this season?

Am trying to avoid this topic in a public forum. You and I discussed this in private before a recent Coach Mac Show. Alcohol would be a challenge for a number of reasons, but will be discussed in the overall discussion of this idea...and, yes, we will be discussing it with the appropriate people. In reality...doubtful that it would happen this season, but I never like to say or work on a never proposition, so it will be in the discussions. The cost of a keg is hardly an issue, but thanks for the offer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks.

I just think we're looking at a real opportunity and would hate to miss it.

There are several games left this season, the team is doing well, and attendance should be strong at the remaining games. This could be an ideal time to establish the postgame tradition at the Alumni Pavilion.

The first home game of next season is SMU. There will be many North Texas alumni on campus that haven't been involved in years. That game should be an outstanding display of school spirit. If all goes well on the field as I hope, there will be a lot of alumni anxious to rekindle their relationship with their university through the alunmi assocoation and the Mean Green Club.

SilverEagle, on 25 Sept 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:snapback.png

What's the barrier(s) to doing it this year? We have a hot team, and lots of people are starting to notice. At the risk of sounding cliche..ish...."strike while the iron is hot"

I just didn't know if waiting until that situation would be the ideal setting for a trial run for these events.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

How about working within the current guidelines and making changes for next year? Alumni Association members can enter the pavilion and be served. Limit it to two beers if needed for liability purposes. Open up the side doors, let folks pull up a lawn chair and a cooler, sit outside, have speakers set up to broadcast the show to those, have a roving reporter solicit questions from the unwashed masses in the lawnchairs, etc... Alumni association members would get a couple of beers, cool fans, restrooms and television to sweeten the pot for going in to pavilion. This could also be used as a recruitment tool for the association.

• Upvote 2

Great idea. The pavilion would be a very pleasant place to hang out and re-hash the game after the sun goes down. Why rush into traffic when we could make game day last a while longer?