MGB: UNT picks up commit from CB Andrew Jones, N. Mesquite

Brett Vito

While Jones was recruited by Simmonds, his relationship with UNT cornerbacks coach Ryan Walters also played a role in Jones’ decision to commit to UNT.

“I like coach Walters,” Jones said. “He is younger coach and understood where I was coming from.”

Man is there any question what a huge impact Ryan Walters has made on our recruiting? The guy has done an outstanding job! Great hire for Mac. Just hope we pay him enough to keep him a round for a couple of years. GMG

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now a 3-star on ESPN. ESPN has 6 of our prospects rated 3-stars and none of those 6 are named Tee Goree or Willy Ivery. 8 out of our 16 high school commits are rated 3-stars by at least one of the major recruiting services.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/187988/andrew-jones

Glad to see that he's now a 3-star. I thought 247 had him underrated but mainly because he was rated as a receiver. From the looks of his video his talent really shines as a DB.

• Upvote 1