Traditions

Ibleedgreen

Umm. Its football season and we're having "ring talk."

Maybe, just maybe the moderators will put this thread in its deserved place.

This is football related... A college football game is where we are most likely to get into a brawl with fans from another team. A class ring could come in handy in that situation.

• Upvote 2

This still exists. It's called the Ring Ceremony and is run by the Alumni Association. Hundreds of graduates participate and it's a very classy, dressed up event.

That's URCM,sir. And you'd be foolish to think that 93% of the university is run by "outsiders" even that aforementioned department. This campus' staff is primarily made up of UNT grads or current students. Only occasionally at the top do you find people from outside UNT and while I certainly wouldn't agree with all of their decision making, the thought of "well we did it this way where I'm from" has rarely worked here.

Jesse, I'm not sure which side of things you ended on in that paragraph, but there is still very much a standard UNT Ring that is contracted through Jostens. There is some customizing ability available to it, but it is very much the UNT Ring.

The previous posts made it seem like that wasn't the case anymore. We had a couple of spots where you could pick (the top could be flat gold, flat with a small emerald, or just one big emerald and you could get your degree on the side) but the rest was uniform. It sounded like there were multiple rings instead of just those spots that could be personalized. If it's still primarily the same ring with just a little more customizing, then I'm relieved...

Edited by JesseMartin

So what the hell is in their place? Mine has my graduation year, admin on one side, UNT seal on the other and an eagle on both sides. We had something really special with the eagles' wings covering both sides of the ring, apparently Florida is the only other school with something like it, with a gator at the bottom and the mouth running up the sides.

I found a picture of the new ring styles, but I cannot post it because the file is too big. The ad is located on page 12 of today's NT Daily. There are four rings pictured, two versions of the original official ring, and the two new styles. If someone can tell me how to attach a file that is 47 KB, let me know and I'll post it. Instead of the administration building, seal and eagle on the side, the two new styles have the major (one says "Marketing" and the other says "Finance and MBA." The one that says "Marketing" also says "2015 BA," and has the oval face that the original had. The one that says "Finance" and "MBA" has a flat face with son of worm, instead of the raised oval.

• Upvote 1

I will defer to Christopher Walker and amend my statement to read 'are either ignorant of school traditions or are apathetic about school traditions.' The more I think about it 93% seems a little exaggarated...I'd go with 94%.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I want to make one thing perfectly clear about these new ring styles....The UNT Alumni Association was not consulted nor asked for any input regarding this change. The Alumni Association staff, board and Executive Committee was caught completely by surprise and had absolutely ZERO knowledge of even the discussion of a change in design. I will leave it at this...just needed to say it!

• Upvote 1