Thompson taking all the first-team snaps

Harry

Honestly, I'm hoping the Idaho game doesn't tell us much. I expect Derek to come out and light them up.

If (big if) he has a hard time (2 picks or more), then I would expect a short leash.

The Ohio game should tell us alot more about how much improvement he's made over this offseason.

Last year against a bad Texas southern defense DT went 11-24. That game did tell us a lot IMO and not in a good way.

DT should light up this Idaho defense and we should expect nothing less.

Honestly, I'm hoping the Idaho game doesn't tell us much. I expect Derek to come out and light them up.

If (big if) he has a hard time (2 picks or more), then I would expect a short leash.

The Ohio game should tell us alot more about how much improvement he's made over this offseason.

No need to get ahead of ourselves, what if Idaho comes in and plays great? What if we *gasp* lose? One game at a time, and never underestimate any opponent.

Its possible we dominate, but this is all just would, could, should talk that I hate. Lets see what happens on the field.

• Upvote 1

Coach Mac has hitched his wagon to DT and that’s the way it’s going to be. If he is successful we need to give the Coach all of the credit. However, if we get the same results as the last couple of years then he needs to be held accountable. As I posted before, I hope DT becomes an All-Conference selection and I look bad for every doubting. But to be honest, IMO, I see Coach putting the player he believes will make the least amount of mistakes, not the player who can make something happen on any play that could give us the momentum to win. Again, just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

No need to get ahead of ourselves, what if Idaho comes in and plays great? What if we *gasp* lose? One game at a time, and never underestimate any opponent.

Its possible we dominate, but this is all just would, could, should talk that I hate. Lets see what happens on the field.

Our program needs to be at the point by now, in year 3 of Mac, that we handily beat a team at home that was 1-11 last year.
  • Upvote 1

Coach Mac has hitched his wagon to DT and that’s the way it’s going to be. If he is successful we need to give the Coach all of the credit. However, if we get the same results as the last couple of years then he needs to be held accountable. As I posted before, I hope DT becomes an All-Conference selection and I look bad for every doubting. But to be honest, IMO, I see Coach putting the player he believes will make the least amount of mistakes, not the player who can make something happen on any play that could give us the momentum to win. Again, just my opinion.

The fact that we have a senior QB and we are doubting him should say something.

I'll believe in him when I see him improve his passing and decision making. Your 100% right that Mac should be held accountable if we see more of the same this season.

Our program needs to be at the point by now, in year 3 of Mac, that we handily beat a team at home that was 1-11 last year.

"Needs" to be doesn't mean "We are." Michigan is at a point that they "needed" to pound Appy state. Last year you don't think Housten "needed" to be at a point where they beat brand new FBS Texas State? Upsets happen all the time, "should, deserve, supposed to" in sports don't make things on the field happen.

"Needs" to be doesn't mean "We are." Michigan is at a point that they "needed" to pound Appy state. Last year you don't think Housten "needed" to be at a point where they beat brand new FBS Texas State? Upsets happen all the time, "should, deserve, supposed to" in sports don't make things on the field happen.

And what happened after those teams lost those games?

Michigan, who was the preseason number 2 team that year, limped to an 8-4 season despite talent like Chad henne, mike hart, and number 1 pick jake long, causing Loyd Carr to retire. Then they went 3-9 and 5-7 the next two years. That loss was a bad precursor of what was to come, not just that year but the next few seasons.

After Houston lost they went just 5-7 following a season in which they went 12-0 in the regular season. That Texas State loss was a bad precursor for what was to happen for that year and who knows when they get anywhere near the level they were at in 2011.

Should doesn't make things happen on the field, but if that "should" doesn't happen then it often signals bad things to come.

• Upvote 3

And what happened after those teams lost those games?

Michigan, who was the preseason number 2 team that year, limped to an 8-4 season despite talent like Chad henne, mike hart, and number 1 pick jake long, causing Loyd Carr to retire. Then they went 3-9 and 5-7 the next two years. That loss was a bad precursor of what was to come, not just that year but the next few seasons.

After Houston lost they went just 5-7 following a season in which they went 12-0 in the regular season. That Texas State loss was a bad precursor for what was to happen for that year and who knows when they get anywhere near the level they were at in 2011.

Should doesn't make things happen on the field, but if that "should" doesn't happen then it often signals bad things to come.

Exactly. Each new season is an unknown until you actually see the team get out there and play. Some are expecting a win just because Idaho went 1-11 last year, they could have a break out year or give us a competitive game or be just as bad. I don't know or pretend to know, I would rather wait and see what happens on the field.

Those team's records show that where their fan's thought they were didn't live up to their expectations, or where they "should" have been. People on this board just don't like to think that our expectations could be the wrong ones for this season. If I had a time machine and went back and said we would go 4-8 last season after going 5-7 the first year people would have laughed and said "No we are going at least 6-6 this year. We are bowl bound!" I see the same thing going on, talking about bowl games and 6 or 7 wins. All I'm saying is lets tone it down and be rational. All possibilities are open at this point lets just wait and see how the team does before proclaiming victory.

My point is that Idaho is one of our top 3 most winnable games on our schedule. If we lose to them that'd be a bad omen for the rest of our season.

Michigan wanted a national championship that year. That App State loss showed they wouldn't be a national championship contender.

Houston wanted another BCS busting type season and at least a good bowl. The Texas state loss showed that neither were in there future.

We want a bowl game this year. A loss to Idaho, no matter how improved they may be, will show that we don't have the team to make a bowl game.

• Upvote 2