Stop wearing other college team gear on the UNT campus!

Today I was at the library and the bookstore. I saw one lady in the library wearing a UT shirt. Then I saw a group of kids visiting UNT and in that group was a Texas Tech hat, UT hat, and a TCU shirt. I have gone to school at 4 different colleges and never have I wore team gear from one to the other. Hopefully these kids learn to GO GREEN if and when they get accepted. The lady in the library should be sent home to change.

• Upvote 4

Today I was at the library and the bookstore. I saw one lady in the library wearing a UT shirt. Then I saw a group of kids visiting UNT and in that group was a Texas Tech hat, UT hat, and a TCU shirt. I have gone to school at 4 different colleges and never have I wore team gear from one to the other. Hopefully these kids learn to GO GREEN if and when they get accepted. The lady in the library should be sent home to change.

You should have asked her if she got lost on her way to campus.

• Upvote 3

No employee of North Texas should be allowed to wear gear from other universities. They live by virture of North Texas paychecks. I remember in the old days it was not uncommon to go get a concession at football and basketball games only to see the workers wearing SMU, Texas, etc. shirts. Shameful.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I felt the same way in Voertman's the other day. The lady in there had on a Baylor t-shirt. She had a rotten attitude (perhaps because of her choice in clothing). I kinda felt that if you make your money off UNT, you could maybe wear your Baylor gear away from work. Yes, I know Voertman's is private, but the concept is the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Here's a post I made seven months ago when Thompson, your starting quarterback tweeted about this problem.

This was a problem on the UH campus for quite a while until Khator and some UH professors started a campaign about 4 years ago called "Keep Houston Red". That and the recent success of the football team and the rise of 5-star recruit Danuel House leading the now 10-2 basketball team has cause the number of people wearing other school's shirts on campus has dropped dramatically. The ONLY person I've seen on campus wearing another school's shirt since I got here was some dude in the library wearing a Yale shirt.

As far as how the Keep Houston Red campaign works, is that there is always a place where you can trade in other school's shirts and get a free UH t-shirt in return. The goal of that is to eliminate the excuse of "I don't have a UH shirt and can't afford one at the bookstore." This was also why they give out over 5000 t-shirts on game day as well. (Even though I have NEVER seen anybody wear another school's shirt at a UH football or basketball game unless they were the opposing team's fans)

When we had our basketball game against Aggy at the beginning of the month, Keep Houston Red had an event where if you had an Aggy shirt, you can exchange for a UH shirt and a Popcorn voucher. Also what professors are doing now, is if you were to come into their class with another school's shirt on, they will make you turn it inside out and tell you to come by their office later on for a UH shirt.

I think UNT needs a "Keep Denton Green" campaign similar to UH. An aggressive administration plus a winning football and/or basketball team will do wonders for school spirit and eliminating the other school's t-shirts on campus problem. When I was at UNT, I was annoyed at seeing people wear other school's crap on campus and even my roommate I had an apartment with wore Whorn gear around campus and we lived literally a five minute WALK from the Super Pit yet he refused to go to the UNT games and instead watched Whorn games on TV and always said "we" when referring to them. He didn't even know who Tony Mitchell was until I told him. Even then, he still wasn't interested.

UNT really needs to reach out to students like him if they want to make this less of a problem. I know Villareal does it, but just hi, doing it is not enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There was a coach at a university some years ago -- I forget who or where -- who banned his players from wearing other teams' shirts. I like the idea of giving an employee an ungentle reminder that that employee works for UNT and should wear either pro-UNT gear or neutral clothing.

• Upvote 2

I remember just last year seeing a student walk past me wearing a Tarleton State Univ. football shirt.

I had to stop and be in awe, because how messed up is it that they chose to wear a lesser teams shirt on a Div. 1 campus :(

Made me want to stop and confront them, but I was already running late for a class.

The only time I don't mind is if there's a conference or something on campus. If their school is giving ours money to host an event, I don't want to make them feel unwelcome. Barring that, a look up-and-down with a "What in the HELL are you wearing on my campus?" does seem to help.

• Upvote 2

I remember sitting in the Super Pit during freshman orientation a decade ago and Ricky V standing next to a big garbage can telling incoming freshman to come up right then and there and throw away any item of clothing they were wearing from another university and he'd give em a new UNT thing. I'd love to see Mac doing that now.

OK, if your in a room full of ducks and an aardvark suddenly walks in with probably a bit of an "attention getting" agenda in mind will he (OR she) most likely get it? That is my take on those who would go to any activity on any school's campus wearing another school's jersey or baseball cap. Some in our society will do very much to get a little attention in what is other-wise most likely a very dull life.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I recall Darrell Dickey saying that if his players wore a ball cap, that it WOULD be a North Texas cap. If they chose to wear another school's gear, he reasoned, they should enroll at that school. I couldn't agree more.

And I am on the record as favoring green shirts. Every school uses white and gray, and now, even pink. North Texas shirts should always be green.

GO MEAN GREEN