2014 Offer Tre Betts Sand Springs OK DB/S

• 2 months later...

He's a Very good athlete. Love to see us dipping on Oklahoma again. Hope we land him!

I agree. Ok st and OU only take a few out of their state a year. That leaves room for us to take out 2 or 3 quality guys a class out of Oklahoma.

The bigger the UNT brand gets the more we should be able to reach out of the state of Texas for recruits.

I hope to the football gods we get Trice on our staff if he doesn't get a shot in the nfl.

He sells the hell out of our school with a passion.

Stand out kid.

+1. And I assume/hope the staff respects and appreciates what he is doing as far as helping with recruiting. There's no room for ego trips getting in the way of getting the job done if somebody is "crossing over" into your job description. Too often in other areas I've seen things go south because somebody had a big head and wouldn't let anybody else step in and lend a hand. Doesn't seem to be a problem here since he seems to already be getting the freedom to do this, but it's definitely something to be aware of in the future if somebody tries to say, "Hey, let me handle this and stop stepping on my toes."

• Upvote 2

North Texas is in the driver's seat in the race to get a commitment from Tre Betts.

"They offered back in May," Betts said. "On July 26 I went to their camp and liked the atmosphere there. I had been liking North Texas since they first started recruiting me.

"Their coaching staff is old school, which would fit me well. I liked everything about the campus - the dorms and practice field. Also my family and friends won't have to travel far to watch me if I go to North Texas because I'll be right there."

Read more: http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1314624.html

• 5 months later...

Betts was a 3* athlete. He was rated higher than all three defensive backs that we have committed. I guess that we've also pulled 3* defensive backs Dominique Barnett and Nehemiah Wagner offers as well.

I can't second guess our coaching staff; they've looked at a lot of video and made their decision. I just hate it when talented recruits who really want to come here are denied while a perceivably lesser rated recruit is accepted.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

We pulled the scholarship, it's unlikely that very many of our offers out to uncommitted players are still active unless they're defensive lineman.

I seriously doubt that we pulled the scholarship offer. This was likelier to have been a grayshirt offer and the kid found an FCS school that will offer him a scholarship immediately and probably an opportunity for a lot of playing time early in his career there.

Although I hate to ever lose any of our commitments, it sometimes is for the best for all involved. The kid may have pro football asperations and couldn't risk going somewhere that he may be burried on the depth chart for his first couple of seasons. The league has very little interest in players that are not the ideal height, weight, and speed unless they have proven themselves as multi-season starters.

• Upvote 1

Betts was a 3* athlete. He was rated higher than all three defensive backs that we have committed. I guess that we've also pulled 3* defensive backs Dominique Barnett and Nehemiah Wagner offers as well.I can't second guess our coaching staff; they've looked at a lot of video and made their decision. I just hate it when talented recruits who really want to come here are denied while a perceivably lesser rated recruit is accepted.

You can't always rely on the recruiting services to be accurate.

I seriously doubt that we pulled the scholarship offer. This was likelier to have been a grayshirt offer and the kid found an FCS school that will offer him a scholarship immediately and probably an opportunity for a lot of playing time early in his career there.

Although I hate to ever lose any of our commitments, it sometimes is for the best for all involved. The kid may have pro football asperations and couldn't risk going somewhere that he may be burried on the depth chart for his first couple of seasons. The league has very little interest in players that are not the ideal height, weight, and speed unless they have proven themselves as multi-season starters.

Davis is a 3-star on 247, with an 84 grade (almost halfway to a 4-star) and a 3-star composite grade (an average grade between his ratings on all the major recruiting websites ESPN, rivals, scout, and 247).

Jones and Davis also have much better offer lists and I personally prefer their games. They're also cornerbacks where as Betts is a safety. Although Davis has the versatility to play either.

If he did leave because he didn't want to grayshirt, then he wouldn't have bought into Mac's system anyway. When your effectiveness as a unit includes giving a good chunk of the recruits a year of conditioning and practice to ensure they're ready for FBS play, you can't really just say, "Oh, you don't feel like doing the year of conditioning and practice? Well, okay, the recruiting service rated you high enough that we'll just skip it for you even though we really think you need it." Plus they wouldn't exactly hold him down if he was ready to go after the first year and was able to beat out the competition. So the big 1-A program wants you in tip-top shape before you see the field, and the FCS one is more willing to stick you on the field against lesser competition without the extra time to get ready. Which one seems to give you a better chance at success?