NBA center Jason Collins comes out as gay

As one can easily see from the responses to this thread...these sort of discussions never end well. Differences of opinion never seem to be respected (by either side) when such topis arise. It is one of the challenges we face in trying to get past predudice and bias in our society today in general. Neither side seems to be able to have a frank and open discussion of views where BOTH sides are at least respected. It is often that such discussions, if handled with respect and openess, can lead to real learning and soild understanding. Alas, never seems to happen that way here on GMG.Com.

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry I offended you. I'm not trying to say that black folks should be ashamed and all black folks wished they were white. Nor would I ever. My choice of words was poor.

But I wonder, and I'm not sure if you can answer definitively but your grandparents probably could, if during the lamenting of their situation in life, pre-civil rights movement, if they ever thought "If I were white, I wouldn't have to endure this persecution". If no one thought that, my point is lame and should be discarded. My apologies to everyone reading this drivel.

I still don't believe the anguish endured today for homosexual athletes is comparable to Jackie Robinson's fight.

Oh I have NO question that blacks...from the time of slavery to today...recognize that if they (we) were white life would be easier. That much is beyond debate, so I guess we are, in essence, in agreement.

And, no, this is not comparable to Jackie Robinson. Jackie Robinson didn't have a built in support group ready to take to social media. Jackie Robinson didn't have a society that was openly debating inter-racial marriage and gaining traction. And Jackie Robinson wasn't given a front page exclusive on the cover (and in the pages) of the nation's leading sports periodical to state his side of his story. Can you imagine if Sports Illustrated had run a "Jackie Robinson in his own words" article as their front page back then?

• Upvote 2

Wait...did I miss a part of the SI article where Collins says he has indiscriminate, unprotected anal sex? I thought he only admitted being attracted to guys. I know some gay guys who find the idea of anal sex - as well as multiple partners - repulsive. I doubt there's a statistic on what percentage of MSM dislike it, since closeted discretion would prevent many from being polled or getting a proper statistical sample.

Point being, some guys (as evidenced by the article in question) hide so well and for so long that they are into their 30s or later before even considering a physical relationship. So unless there's a segment where he discusses trolling truck stops and airport terminals for discreet hookups like a Senator would, there is no reason to assume that Collins' orientation has resulted in any high-risk behaviors.

Additionally, if you examine further CDC studies a male over the age of 30 is at a significantly lower risk of contracting HIV. That's only one example, but the CDC has a mountain of data that is complex and can be interpreted a number of ways. Citing one study is not sufficient evidence. Especially without a lengthy discussion about sample sizes and methods.

• Upvote 3

Wait...did I miss a part of the SI article where Collins says he has indiscriminate, unprotected anal sex? I thought he only admitted being attracted to guys. I know some gay guys who find the idea of anal sex - as well as multiple partners - repulsive. I doubt there's a statistic on what percentage of MSM dislike it, since closeted discretion would prevent many from being polled or getting a proper statistical sample.

Point being, some guys (as evidenced by the article in question) hide so well and for so long that they are into their 30s or later before even considering a physical relationship. So unless there's a segment where he discusses trolling truck stops and airport terminals for discreet hookups like a Senator would, there is no reason to assume that Collins' orientation has resulted in any high-risk behaviors.

As to Emmitt's point...I now feel the need to watch Chasing Amy.

What's a nubian?

• Upvote 1

What's a nubian?

Darth Vader : Wanted To Be White :: Jason Collins : Wanted To Be Straight

See? Insert a Kevin Smith movie, and the similarity between racial and orientation-related discrimination becomes clear.

And yes, for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, that was a joke.

• Upvote 1

There seems to be a tendency these days to lump all gays together like they are all one and the same. Based on the gays I've known in my life, that just simply isn't true. Some seem to be more genetically predisposed, others just seem to have gone that direction to find some kind of group or social acceptance, while others just went that way for what probably can be easier sex. Everyone and everyone's motives are often different no matter their orientation. As far as the Collins situation is concerned, I really think that the whole thing has been overblown. :o

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2