Totally guessing: It might be related to money.

More than I can remember, bars are becoming non-negotiable for first-time acts. Meaning, no matter how awesomely big you grew in such a short time, no matter how many FB likes you have and CDs you've sold, they won't pay your demands. A band that thinks they can command $1000 a night is now finding themselves in a stare-down with venues (in markets they want to break into) that won't pay more than $500 for their first time there.

Things can get hairy.

Edited by greenminer

One of my all time favorite bands. Amazing live. I'm totally taking credit for them playing here. I recommended them for the UNT Fine Arts Series, got a note back saying thanks for the suggestion, then a couple months later they were announced. It was a great show!

• Upvote 2

They were just at the Murchison for the fine arts performance series. I'm told they and their manager are absolutely miserable people to deal with.

Okay, as someone who works in the MPAC in RecServ and knows every detail of that performance, you're not quite right.

They did not do everything they needed to beforehand as far as backend prep goes, but once they were in the hall, they worked really well with the MPAC staff. They even modified their performance set to be more appropriate to the venue. It was mixed really well and there were many laughs had afterwards in regards to a bowed-electric bass foundationally resonating Winspear for the first time.

I know there were questions beforehand, but I believe Graeme, Brian, Blair, and Rebecca count that one as a super-successful MPAC event.

One of my all time favorite bands. Amazing live. I'm totally taking credit for them playing here. I recommended them for the UNT Fine Arts Series, got a note back saying thanks for the suggestion, then a couple months later they were announced. It was a great show!

It was a great show. I was curious to see how it sounded in there and though it was good, I still think their sound is better in a smaller venue. That being said, I am looking forward to their new album. You can tell they have practiced a LOT. They are very well synced in what they do. And you said, they are simply amazing live. Their album is good, but it is completely different live. A Must see in person.