Vito reporting Gaines leaving UNT’s staff

Harry

Isn't it Brett's job to report stuff? So, he was just doing his job, right?

Could he have held the news until after signing day? Who knows. I know this about human nature, though: Treat someone well and they'll be inclined to help you when they can.

Dickey got along well with Brett. Dodge tried to treat him like the high school journalism kid. McCarney? Hard to tell.

I know not all coaches like the press. But, in the scheme of things, the heat isn't turned up very high at North Texas. In fact, I'd say it's pretty permanently set on warm/lo.

Win and treat people well. Until that happens, no one should be complaining about whatever tiny bit of press coverage UNT gets. If it weren't for Brett and the DRC, there would be virtually none.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 6

This is poor timing. Mac seems to have a problem hangin on to coaches and recruits...

Coaches moving "up the rung" is just part of the business. For a while, UT's D-Coordinators were being hired out from under them left and right. That is a sign of hiring good coaches. Losing recruits to Big XII schools is one thing. We are now going after many players that the "Big Boys" are also after so this is also to be expected. The timing of this is what is bothersome to me, that, and the possible loss of contact with Antoine. Then again, he is only a two star, so we should be able to find another young man with his measurables to plug in (hopefully).

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not good news this close to signing day. One wonders why it came this close...hopefully, Coach Gaines got a job he thinks is bigger, better, etc. Just wish the announcement could have been held until after signing day.

On the flip side i would be pissed if my son/daughter got recruited by a coach who was leaving ASAP and nobody told me! Something smells rotten.

• Upvote 3