McMurphy: MTSU and FAU will join CUSA this Fall

Harry

It is sad about Tulsa. We played them for many years in the old Missouri Valley and I believe they were the closest thing we had as rivalry back then. The CUSA we thought we were joining has become a bubble burst indeed. We must learn to win if we expect to become attractive to other conferences. Schools running away from us hurts more than being rejected in the first place.

• Upvote 2

It is sad about Tulsa. We played them for many years in the old Missouri Valley and I believe they were the closest thing we had as rivalry back then. The CUSA we thought we were joining has become a bubble burst indeed. We must learn to win if we expect to become attractive to other conferences. Schools running away from us hurts more than being rejected in the first place.

1. Tulsa hasn't left (yet)

2. No one is running away from anyone. Schools are "realigning" because of money. Just like people switch jobs because of more money.

3. No it doesn't hurt worse. The new CUSA is still better than the current & future Sun Belt.

Let's stop the pity party. The new CUSA is more money, divisional play, and in-state rivals. The new CUSA is the best conference we have ever been in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1. Tulsa hasn't left (yet)

2. No one is running away from anyone. Schools are "realigning" because of money. Just like people switch jobs because of more money.

3. No it doesn't hurt worse. The new CUSA is still better than the current & future Sun Belt.

Let's stop the pity party. The new CUSA is more money, divisional play, and in-state rivals. The new CUSA is the best conference we have ever been in.

Agree. Doom and gloom is overrated. We must take this first step, which is to get out of the SBC, regardless of who is left. Any potential future moves will be easier.

I hope Tulsa sticks around, but for some reason, I really won't lose any sleep if they leave. They have arguably had their most successful decade of sports ever and their attendance figures seem to be down in both football and basketball. They have deep pockets, but you have to wonder if they have peaked in popularity. I would not have a huge issue if they had to be replaced with a large public university that has solid fan support.

Boy I will say this, MUTS will give East Carolina and Marshall a run for their money in the East...

In the West Tulsa will be the clear favorite but Rice and La. Tech should be good as well. North Texas = Darkhorse.

La. Tech lost a TON of scholarship players to graduation (over 30, I believe) and also lost their head coach. I would be shocked to see them anywhere near the top of the standings.

At least we were one of two of the first schools to be added to CUSA (FIU or La. Tech being the other, I can't remember). That shows you the pecking order. If we had done anything to make the football prgram marketable in the last 8 years (like a winning season or 2), there is no doubt in my mind that the MWC would be looking hard at us if SMU stays in the Big East. But we did nothing.

Winning football games is the single most importnat thing that this program needs to concentrate on at this point (says Mr. Obvious Guy).

At least we were one of two of the first schools to be added to CUSA (FIU or La. Tech being the other, I can't remember). That shows you the pecking order. If we had done anything to make the football prgram marketable in the last 8 years (like a winning season or 2), there is no doubt in my mind that the MWC would be looking hard at us if SMU stays in the Big East. But we did nothing.

Winning football games is the single most importnat thing that this program needs to concentrate on at this point (says Mr. Obvious Guy).

Agree. And if success on the field can translate in to 25k+ average attendance, then we will be a strong candidate for several opportunities. We still have a lot of work to do to get to that point though.

And we thought we were leaving the Sun Belt.

And teams like Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, SMU, Houston, & Central Florida thought they were leaving CUSA ...

EDIT: Oops, I forgot Tulane ... They are easily forgettable, ya know.

Edited by UNTFan23

North Texas must take advantage of the 2013 golden opportunity. Granted the competition will intensify, but with La Tech in transition we simply must beat them and score (win) some excellent competitive battles with Rice, ECU (hopefully at home). We need to beat down UTSA, UTEP and Idaho. We will actually have one of the more stable staff's and teams coming into the fall.

Seize the green opportunity and all of a sudden people really start looking at us differently. First year CUSA and look what they did!

GMG

• Upvote 1

I am not gloomy or doomy, its just that private schools like Tulane and Tulsa do lend a kind of prestige to a conference and would be fun to travel to. I also think we will become competitive with both of those schools very soon. It is just disappointing that so many of our old conference mates have moved on without us.(Louisville, Cincinnati,Tulsa,Memphis(etc.)