You want some offensive chit-chat, here's some....

...offensive chit-chat for you from Barry Switzer, who used to coach football:

“The philosophy of running the football is so important,” Barry Switzer told me last fall. “Because you don’t allow the other team to be out there. Alabama does both, but they run first. They play two tight ends, they make you play balanced, they put a flanker out both ways so you’ve got to play four deep. You’ve got to play cover-2 against two flankers with two tight ends. Now they put one back back there, they make your seven-man front — you can’t overshift one way because they’ve got that balanced offensive front — you’ve got to play ‘em straight. So you get man-on-man, they come off and just gash you. They run the football because they’re bigger and better than you are and they mash your ass.”

I like that.

Two tight ends.

Two flankers.

The halfback.

The quarterback.

The offensive linemen.

Sounds so simple...because it is!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It is simple when you have the cats to line up and do what they do...now if we could just get those guys on campus! Ha

I was thinking this last night when watching Alabama vs. Notre Dame. Alabama didn't do anything crazy - they just did everything really well and executed consistently.

Looks like what Mac is trying to build here and I couldn't be happier. You just have to have good players in every position to make it work which we haven't had. Hopefully this is the year he can make the plan come to life.

• Upvote 1

I know he's become a controversial player off the field at this point, but I really want to see Antoine Jimmerson take over and be our starting running back. 20+ carries a game with our offensive line as good as we are could give us this effect of just smashing you play after play, then opening up the play action.

Without going too much into the qb debate, this would make their job much easier and our offense much harder to stop, as long as that passing game is improved from last year.

• Upvote 1