Prodigal Son returns to Texas Tech

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8741465/kliff-kingsbury-hired-texas-tech-red-raiders-coachhttp://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8741465/kliff-kingsbury-hired-texas-tech-red-raiders-coach

Okay, I don't know about the prodigal son bit, but still.

Kinda wished he stayed at A&M and developed Manziel for four full years and possibly ran the table as championship contenders.

That would've been cool.

• Upvote 1

33 years old and a head coach at a Big 12 school, and his alma mater to boot.

Interesting times ahead for Tech.

Tubberville made the best move he ever could have made. He is an average coach who was NEVER going to be accepted by Tech fans who will always associate him with Leach's firing. Somehow he managed to parlay degrading TTech football into a head coaching position with another Big 5 confernce team. He must be quite the politician.

I'd say this hiring is picking the low hanging fruit. But, it's even worse than that. It's like picking up rotting fruit off the ground. Amazing what schools will settle for.

But, Tech is happy in the 7-5/8-4 world anyway. Yes, the managed to creep above it for one season...but, were still shellacked by Oklahoma that season. And, that season will be five years past when next season begins.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I too would ask why we constantly post non-UNT football stuff in the UNT football thread? Even the mods do it...the head mod even. Why? There is a spot reserved for that here on the board...at least I thought there was one.

Come on folks...please...this non-UNT stuff does not belong on this one.

Not saying it should not be discussed...it should...it is interesting...but, please post it where it belongs. Thanks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

33 years old and a head coach at a Big 12 school, and his alma mater to boot.

Interesting times ahead for Tech.

Tubberville made the best move he ever could have made. He is an average coach who was NEVER going to be accepted by Tech fans who will always associate him with Leach's firing. Somehow he managed to parlay degrading TTech football into a head coaching position with another Big 5 confernce team. He must be quite the politician.

Except that Cincinnati is not in a "big 5" conference.

I agree.

This forum should be reserved for threads about RV's veiled threats to remember those that fall don't fall into lock step.

I just wish there was some way for me to avoid reading threads that didn't seem interesting or topical to me...to avoid inevitably being forced to complain about their lack of topicality. For the life of me though I just don't think there's a way to skim past threads on this forum. Maybe if we installed a scroll bar along the side of the page to move up and down and get to other threads. Nah, web pages are clearly years and years from that.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

This is a risky hire, but the Tech fans love it. They don't need to rebuild and they've been recruiting well so hes in a decent spot at least. Itll be interesting to see what kind of experience he has on his staff. I'm guessing a lot. Tuberville left tech in a bad spot. They could've had Sonny Dykes if they were made aware earlier. We will see how it goes for them. Seems like the type of thing that might work there, but would never work here.

I too would ask why we constantly post non-UNT football stuff in the UNT football thread? Even the mods do it...the head mod even. Why? There is a spot reserved for that here on the board...at least I thought there was one.

Come on folks...please...this non-UNT stuff does not belong on this one.

Not saying it should not be discussed...it should...it is interesting...but, please post it where it belongs. Thanks.

Really.... no one goes to the other boards, this is the main one (other than basketball).

Im interested to see who he brings in as his assistants, I thought Kirby Smart, Chad Morris or any of the Michigan coordinators would be a HC before Kingsbury.. Its the right fit though

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Why do you say this?

Because Texas Tech pretends to be "one of the big boys." That they can't even land a head coach with experience is sort of telling about where they really fit in on scale of "the big boys."

Kingsbury was easy to hire. It changes nothing about Texas Tech. They never left the spread offense that netted them zero championships under Leach or Tuberville.

And, with those zero championships, they forge ahead with more of the same...just a less experienced more of the same.

Why do you say this?

Because Texas Tech pretends to be "one of the big boys." That they can't even land a head coach with experience is sort of telling about where they really fit in on scale of "the big boys."

Kingsbury was easy to hire. It changes nothing about Texas Tech. They never left the spread offense that netted them zero championships under Leach or Tuberville.

And, with those zero championships, they forge ahead with more of the same...just a less experienced more of the same.

I'm assuming he was the first and only person they called. I dont think its because they "can't" land a HC with experience, it's that they didn't want to.

This topic is relevant. Carry on.

Please explain how it is relevant to MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL?

I give you that it is, indeed, relevant to college football and interesting as a discussion topic...no problem with that at all...however, it is not Mean Green Football which just happens to be the title of this thread area.

There is another area where this can and should be discussed...along with any other keen stuff that just happens to not be about Mean Green football. I know this happens because this is one of the two most read thread areas and folks want to see their topics discussed. I get that, and can sympathize with the point. BUT, this is just not the place and should not be used as the dumping ground for all things...just the dumping ground for all things related to UNT Football...or, how about renaming the thread College Football?

• Downvote 3

I guess my question is, why do you refer to Kingsbury as low hanging fruit, or better yet, rotting fruit left on the ground?

I guess my question is, why do you refer to Kingsbury as low hanging fruit, or better yet, rotting fruit left on the ground?

Because it does nothing different for Tech; it doesn't improve them at all. They went status quo...the easiest thing to do.

Texas and Oklahoma are in no way threatened by this hiring, and those are the standard bearers of the conference.

Obviously not the easiest thing to do. Tech was tired of the mature politician coach and a different direction with youth/excitement and an up-and-comer. Clearly took a big risk. The easiest would be to have hired a seasoned coordinator at a major conference or head coach from a smaller conference. Tech manned-up and threw the dice. Time will tell... Dan McCarney would have fallen all over himself to get out the door had Tech offered!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1