Signing Day

CurveItAround

5 players that can't shoot, great class!

Considering they're all post players by nature except maybe Wesley, don't get your panties in a wad.

Wesley has a really sweet outside stroke, which you can't really fix someone's shooting form at this stage in their life. He looks like our best recruit, hands down.

As for shooters, yeah we could really use another one but at least we have TJ Taylor stepping in next year to help fill that void.

Also, not so sure I want Soma Edo in this class. He is basically unrivaled athletically but the truth is he is a 6'5" post player and I know he's being recruited as a small forward but that's a hard transition to make if you haven't been training for it for years like Wesley has. I do agree that we could use another shooter but we have capable guys on our roster, give it time.

• Upvote 1

Considering they're all post players by nature except maybe Wesley, don't get your panties in a wad.

Wesley has a really sweet outside stroke, which you can't really fix someone's shooting form at this stage in their life. He looks like our best recruit, hands down.

As for shooters, yeah we could really use another one but at least we have TJ Taylor stepping in next year to help fill that void.

Also, not so sure I want Soma Edo in this class. He is basically unrivaled athletically but the truth is he is a 6'5" post player and I know he's being recruited as a small forward but that's a hard transition to make if you haven't been training for it for years like Wesley has. I do agree that we could use another shooter but we have capable guys on our roster, give it time.

I think the point he's making is that if all 5 verbals sign none would really address the most glaring weakness on the roster. Wesley and Norris are 3s-only...add in Jordan Williams and you have 3 slashing wings without a legit college stroke. TJ Taylor will help, but even he only shot mid 30% from 3...he's a scorer, not necessarily a shooter.

I'm starting to have my concerns that we already have a very talented, but mis-matched roster and that our current recruiting class could make things worse. Norris, btw, is averaging 4.5ppg and 3.0rpg through 3 JUCO games...shooting 25% from 3. If his letter doesn't come in I won't lose sleep.

Marquette, Nebraska, Okie State, Texas A&M and Tech, and Virginia Tech disagree with you on Soma Edo.

• Downvote 1

I think the point he's making is that if all 5 verbals sign none would really address the most glaring weakness on the roster. Wesley and Norris are 3s-only...add in Jordan Williams and you have 3 slashing wings without a legit college stroke. TJ Taylor will help, but even he only shot mid 30% from 3...he's a scorer, not necessarily a shooter.

I'm starting to have my concerns that we already have a very talented, but mis-matched roster and that our current recruiting class could make things worse. Norris, btw, is averaging 4.5ppg and 3.0rpg through 3 JUCO games...shooting 25% from 3. If his letter doesn't come in I won't lose sleep.

TJ Taylor spends a lot of his time out on the three-point arc. He is a pretty complete scorer yes, but I think on our roster he will have a lot of spot up opportunities on threes or pump fake drives to the hoop.

His 3-point percentage wasn't great but he's streaky, not to mention he shot a lot of threes and might have gotten a little trigger happy at times. Not saying that won't happen once he starts playing here either.

As for Wesley, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play some power forward up here, mainly by necessity if TM doesn't come back. TM is probably gone, Franklin, Niko, Patton, Holmen, basically every post we have except Coleman. Coleman will start at the 5 for us next year unless something drastic changes, but the competition at the 4 is wide open and is basically between all of our commits.

People are acting like we are going to the Big East. CUSA is a nice step up from the Sun Belt, but 6'7" with his athleticism and skills, Wesley will be able to hold his own at the 4. I agree he is undersized for a 4 and his long term role with us is the 3, but he wouldn't be the only 6'7" power forward in that conference.

As for Norris, I agree. With Walton's scholarship no longer open for next year in this class (as he will be redshirting and playing next year) I wonder if Norris is still being evaluated. If all 5 of our current commits sign (which to my knowledge Wesley and Friar have) then we will have no schollies open even if TM declares, since we have 4 graduating seniors.

TJ Taylor spends a lot of his time out on the three-point arc. He is a pretty complete scorer yes, but I think on our roster he will have a lot of spot up opportunities on threes or pump fake drives to the hoop.

His 3-point percentage wasn't great but he's streaky, not to mention he shot a lot of threes and might have gotten a little trigger happy at times. Not saying that won't happen once he starts playing here either.

As for Wesley, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play some power forward up here, mainly by necessity if TM doesn't come back. TM is probably gone, Franklin, Niko, Patton, Holmen, basically every post we have except Coleman. Coleman will start at the 5 for us next year unless something drastic changes, but the competition at the 4 is wide open and is basically between all of our commits.

People are acting like we are going to the Big East. CUSA is a nice step up from the Sun Belt, but 6'7" with his athleticism and skills, Wesley will be able to hold his own at the 4. I agree he is undersized for a 4 and his long term role with us is the 3, but he wouldn't be the only 6'7" power forward in that conference.

As for Norris, I agree. With Walton's scholarship no longer open for next year in this class (as he will be redshirting and playing next year) I wonder if Norris is still being evaluated. If all 5 of our current commits sign (which to my knowledge Wesley and Friar have) then we will have no schollies open even if TM declares, since we have 4 graduating seniors.

4 graduating seniors + TM = 5 current commits

4 graduating seniors + TM = 5 current commits

I should've been more clear. No ADDITIONAL schollies. If all 5 sign then we will have no schollies open for anyone else. You just reiterated what I said. Would it be that much more difficult to read between the lines?

Sorry, I'm in a grumpy mood with our basketball fan base right now.

My point was, if Norris doesn't prove to be worth the scholarship I wonder if the coaches are open to pulling it. I'm not suggesting this, just throwing it out there as a possibility. If he along with the 4 commits sign then we will have no scholarships open to get anybody else out of this recruiting class.