Fight song

Eagle96

I never thought I'd say this...but I'm with Meangreener on this one.

Speaking of LSU, here is Exhibit B.

That is LSU's version of Neck and as you see, they all chant Suck that Tiger $%#& $%#&!

And most people love it.

Here at UH we chant "Who we talkin bout? The m'fn COOUUGGAAAAARRRRSSS!"

Eerybody loves it

UT's altered fight song, my cousin is a longhorn and she goes on and on about how crazy the football games are because of all that goes on, though UT imo is kinda quiet for a 100k stadium. Nobody complains and is even chanted by the older folks. (Who I think actually started it)

WVU burns couches when they win and we all know, most of the older folk on GMG would complain to the admin and try to force a burn ban in Denton.

Small-time mindsets and the desire to "control" a student section that is SUPPOSED to be rowdy, inappropriate, rabid and obnoxious will be UNT's downfall and until you guys learn this, you will never have the culture or atmosphere many on here fantasize about.

• Upvote 1

Small-time mindsets and the desire to "control" a student section that is SUPPOSED to be rowdy, inappropriate, rabid and obnoxious will be UNT's downfall and until you guys learn this, you will never have the culture or atmosphere many on here fantasize about.

I don't want to control anyone, I simply want the students to act like they have a vocabulary greater than a 10 year who just learned a naughty word and wants to use it as often as possible so they can feel like an adult.

• Upvote 2

WVU burns couches when they win and we all know, most of the older folk on GMG would complain to the admin and try to force a burn ban in Denton.

OK man.

Here's where we both should be able to agree, since you're from TEXAS.

Citing some West Virginians... who have reputations ..., going ape over burning couches ... further cementing those reputations ... is not really helping any arguments either way.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

The Woodlands is pretty terrible about that. It's isolated and far away from the city though, so they're harmless. I lived in Keller and you weren't good enough unless you lived in a McMansion and some of the comments about the song are akin to the bubble mentality that I think many in the metroplex hold whether that's true or not. Anyway, look. I don't like that the band took out the only tradition we had. I don't think they have a right. I just don't like the alumni/student disconnect because it's really...bad for our future.

The only tradition we had? So now that the GB removed the drum break, we're down to NO TRADITIONS at UNT??

What makes the introduction of an obscenity into the fight song 2 or 3 years ago a "tradition"?

The only tradition we had? So now that the GB removed the drum break, we're down to NO TRADITIONS at UNT??

What makes the introduction of an obscenity into the fight song 2 or 3 years ago a "tradition"?

I was clearly not referring to the MF'in part. Clearly referring to the drum roll gestured U N T part. Clearly.

No consequences? Well, ESPN loves LSU. And, wait, did I say that they'd add MF'in to the song? LMFAO! No, haha. This is rich. They are going to be forced to add the end of the song back or face repercussions, if the band continues to cut the end. The SGA is getting it fixed or putting it up to a vote. And the vote will clearly go in the favor of keeping the full song.

Fort Worth suburbia comments are because this is the only place where people complain that students use profanity at games. Literally. The only. They're okay with referring to other, poorer residents as trash and getting wasted every night but not the profane addition to the fight song.

As you can tell, I despise Ft Worth suburbs.

Good stuff, good stuff.

http://bevotraditions.blogspot.com/2010/11/texas-fight.html

It seems the new tradition that has been started is eliminating "UNT Eagles fight, fight, fight" from our fight song. Protest and cry all you want, but that probably won't change until this embarrassing "tradition" is quelled.

See how that works, students?

Edited by UNT90

It seems the new tradition that has been started is eliminating "UNT Eagles fight, fight, fight" from our fight song. Protest and cry all you want, but that probably won't change until this embarrassing "tradition" is quelled.

See how that works, students?

Can't change the fight song without student and administrative approval.

Extremely immature. This is cute. Funny you mention bubble, as apparently you want to raise your kids in a bubble.

As far as Who? goes, they taught us it at Orientation. That's here to stay. If the band cuts the UNT part of it this year, the SGA is filing a complaint with the band director and RV (I have heard from VERY reliable sources through the grapevine). If the band wants to change it, they'll have to put it up for a vote. And it won't pass.

Did the SGA vote to have derogatory terms added to our fight song?

You are obviously not aware of the old saying "Better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and prove it."

The band didn't start singing that part and the words weren't added. Keep grasping.

Good Lord you are dense.

So adding inappropriate words to our fight song by late teens who think being cool is using the term MF is okay, but the band, showing some class and respect towards our school, working to eliminate this isn't?

Please keep replying and proving my points for me.

• Upvote 3

Good Lord you are dense.

So adding inappropriate words to our fight song by late teens who think being cool is using the term MF is okay, but the band, showing some class and respect towards our school, working to eliminate this isn't?

Please keep replying and proving my points for me.

I'm so offended.

• Downvote 1

I never thought I'd say this...but I'm with Meangreener on this one.

Speaking of LSU, here is Exhibit B.

That is LSU's version of Neck and as you see, they all chant Suck that Tiger $%#& $%#&!

And most people love it.

Here at UH we chant "Who we talkin bout? The m'fn COOUUGGAAAAARRRRSSS!"

Eerybody loves it

UT's altered fight song, my cousin is a longhorn and she goes on and on about how crazy the football games are because of all that goes on, though UT imo is kinda quiet for a 100k stadium. Nobody complains and is even chanted by the older folks. (Who I think actually started it)

Exactly what I am talking about. Student sections are expected to get rowdy, cuss, and intimidate the other team. I would be pretty pissed if we had a student section that did none of those at every UNT football game. We cant keep debating something that probably wont go away so im going to leave it at that.

Im ready for some UNT football. Any of yall older alumni have some pretty good tailgates that myself and other recent grads can check out in the fall? GMG

• Upvote 2

this is the only place where people complain that students use profanity at games. Literally. The only.

Small-time mindsets and the desire to "control" a student section that is SUPPOSED to be rowdy, inappropriate, rabid and obnoxious

The only place in the history of ever in institutionalized education.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-10-31-fan-behavior_n.htm

http://www.lsureveille.com/sports/football/article_f66b8bae-11be-11e2-a120-0019bb30f31a.html

http://www.vucommodores.com/facilities/vand-stadium-policies.html

http://www.thedaonline.com/profanity-taking-over-student-section-1.701891#.UZvIVoLDl4s

http://www.uwbadgers.com/genrel/Letter-to-Students.html

This also means that we have the only students to ever stand against this outrage! Our students are creative and Innovative!

• Upvote 4

And he kept doing it because he thought it was disrespectfully funny despite several asking him to stop.

Bonus question: What school did he love so much and still loves to pretend he's a part of today?

Rick

Was it the same one who married a Talon 20 years younger than him, and gets butthurt if you say anything the least bit negative about t.u.?

No. But it's no coincidence out student attendance dropped drastically afterward even for homecoming and didn't even recover for basketball.

That has NOTHING to do about our performance, or record, right?

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 2

Instead of changing the fight song to remove the opportunity to insert the filthy phrase, how about asking the students use another phrase. Why not mother loving? Or how about mother hugging? The current action taken is going to create a game of whack-a-mole. It's an invitation to create new ways to be offensive. When someone is openly trying to be annoying, the worst mistake is to let them annoy you. That means you lose. You're now on defense. Probably best not to act in locus parentis. No one wants to lose touch with future alumni.

Edited by RAGEMASTER5000
  • Upvote 1

Instead of changing the fight song to remove the opportunity to insert the filthy phrase, how about asking the students use another phrase. Why not mother loving? Or how about mother hugging? The current action taken is going to create a game of whack-a-mole. It's an invitation to create new ways to be offensive. When someone is openly trying to be annoying, the worst mistake is to let them annoy you. That means you lose. You're now on defense. Probably best not to act in locus parentis. No one wants to lose touch with future alumni.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better, honestly.

As a resident of either Southlake, Grapevine or Keller over the past 20+ years I feel it is my duty to let you know we don't think you are not good enough because you don't live in a "McMansion". You're not good enough because you are MF'n obnoxious. Newsflash - other teams aren't going to be intimidated by students, especially when the main attack is a potty word.

Secondly, I like my bubble. The first time my two sons hear the f-bomb, it's going to be from me. You don't have the right to take that paternal privilege from me.

Finally, my wife used to teach in Watauga. So not all of us feel that way. Some of us try to help them folk.

• Upvote 3

As a resident of either Southlake, Grapevine or Keller over the past 20+ years I feel it is my duty to let you know we don't think you are not good enough because you don't live in a "McMansion". You're not good enough because you are MF'n obnoxious. Newsflash - other teams aren't going to be intimidated by students, especially when the main attack is a potty word.

Intimidate isn't the right word. I have seen many a screaming match between visiting players/trainers/asst. coaches and the student section. The "potty word" is the mildest of what goes on in the student section, and far from a main attack. Players aren't intimidated but the student section has an impact on visiting teams.

They have been asked, politely, many times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Brilliant. Please never go into public relations. Edited by MeanMag