Fight song

Eagle96

How about just practicing a little class? There, I asked.

Exactly...It doesn't make sense to change the lyrics of the fight song that was written a long time ago (back in 30s?) to adapt to ignorance. Granted, you cant possibly convince ALL kids to stop saying crap. But If the Band Director start this season out by exclusively telling the BAND MEMBERS "If any of you are caught using foul in conjunction with a school tradition, that student be fined" This could be done under the same bylaws that govern things like Parking Fines. So, if a kid is caught, slap him with a $50-$75 fine...And, like parking fines, the fines must be paid to receive grades at the end of the semester...

Exactly...It doesn't make sense to change the lyrics of the fight song that was written a long time ago (back in 30s?) to adapt to ignorance. Granted, you cant possibly convince ALL kids to stop saying crap. But If the Band Director start this season out by exclusively telling the BAND MEMBERS "If any of you are caught using foul in conjunction with a school tradition, that student be fined" This could be done under the same bylaws that govern things like Parking Fines. So, if a kid is caught, slap him with a $50-$75 fine...And, like parking fines, the fines must be paid to receive grades at the end of the semester...

Fight Song

The Fight Song was written by North Texas alumnus Francis Stroup in fall 1939. He wrote it after attending a Saturday night stage show where 'Fessor Graham, director of the Aces of Collegeland swing band, asked for entries in a contest to pick a school fight song. The 1929 graduate came out victorious and his contribution is still held dearly as our UNT Fight Song.

The original words to the Fight Song are:

Lets give a cheer for North Texas State;

Cheer for the Green and White.

Victorys in store, whater the score,

Our men will ever fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Shoulder to shoulder they march along,

Men with a purpose true.

Playing the game for the honor and fame

Of North Texas State and you.

Today we sing:

Let's give a cheer for U of NT;

Cheer for the Green and White.

Victory's in store whatever the score,

Our team will ever fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Shoulder to shoulder we march along,

Striving for victory.

Playing the game for the honor and fame,

And the glory of UNT.

U ... N ... T ... Eagles!

UNT Eagles Fight, Fight, Fight!

Read more at http://www.unt.edu/traditions/

• Upvote 1

Wining mother f'n football games will do much more to keep students connected once they leave North Mother F'n Texas than any addition/deletion to some mother f'n fight song.

Good mother f'n gosh.

UNT 90 has made the best point so far in my opinion.

Again, a quick reminder that we are griping about students (and some alumni) who are actually present at sporting events getting carried away while being engaged in our fight song.

I don't care if they want to drunkenly faux-sodomize Scrappy whilst screaming all manner of blue invective - if they're there, they're showing better sportsmanship and school loyalty than the vast majority of our students and alumni.

• Upvote 2

Again, a quick reminder that we are griping about students (and some alumni) who are actually present at sporting events getting carried away while being engaged in our fight song.

I don't care if they want to drunkenly faux-sodomize Scrappy whilst screaming all manner of blue invective - if they're there, they're showing better sportsmanship and school loyalty than the vast majority of our students and alumni.

hmmm. I don't know about that.

At what point does it become a mockery and worse than not showing up at all?

Because if your scenario above was the norm for everyone who "shows up", I would probably have to turn in my MGC membership and pretty much abandon supporting my University in general. Winning or not.

hmmm. I don't know about that.

At what point does it become a mockery and worse than not showing up at all?

Because if your scenario above was the norm for everyone who "shows up", I would probably have to turn in my MGC membership and pretty much abandon supporting my University in general. Winning or not.

This is like #3 for threatening to revoke your MGC membership. You're like the guy at Best Buy complaining that he'll never shop there again while 3 new people who've never set foot in said store walk in. In other words, cool story bro.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Real talk. Quit cussing during the fight song. But also, don't change the fight song in any way. If the administration does not want students cursing during the song, they should not be passive aggressive about it. Send out a letter from the president denouncing the act and requesting that it be discontinued. Put a few signs up in the student section entrances.

• Upvote 1

This is like #3 for threatening to revoke your MGC membership. You're like the guy at Best Buy complaining that he'll never shop there again while 3 new people who've never set foot in said store walk in. In other words, cool story bro.

It is?? Lol.

I don't think I've ever done that... and if I have, it's been in that same type of whacked-out hypothetical situation that Legend500 mentioned... In that never-going-to-happen scenario, I certainly would, and I wouldn't be the first one out the door.

Back to reality: That scenario would never come to fruition. Because, thankfully, not all students are like you.

BTW... Best Buy is hurting pretty bad dude. That's not a good comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Real talk. Quit cussing during the fight song. But also, don't change the fight song in any way. If the administration does not want students cursing during the song, they should not be passive aggressive about it. Send out a letter from the president denouncing the act and requesting that it be discontinued. Put a few signs up in the student section entrances.

Decent suggestion, but this could also backfire in line with 'feeding the trolls'.

"Administration is suggesting I don't do this, but aren't going to enforce it?? Let me stick it to the man!!" ...<screams louder>...

You're trying to appeal to reason based on pride in your school. I guess 'pride' is interpretive.

• Upvote 1

It is?? Lol.

I don't think I've ever done that... and if I have, it's been in that same type of whacked-out hypothetical situation that Legend500 mentioned... In that never-going-to-happen scenario, I certainly would, and I wouldn't be the first one out the door.

Back to reality: That scenario would never come to fruition. Because, thankfully, not all students are like you.

BTW... Best Buy is hurting pretty bad dude. That's not a good comparison.

They are in the midst of a turnaround and have $26 stock. Not too shabby. Doing pretty fine last time I checked.

I liked that sneaky line about not all students being like me. Well, if there weren't many students like me, then you'd have about 100 students at the games, all freshman, who don't know any of the players or rules of football. Which coincidentally happened (100 students) after the GB butchered the fight song.

Y'all are literally the worst alumni. This has to be the most braindead group of supporters. Not all, but a massive amount of y'all. Just braindead. Whenever I get annoyed or question UNT, I just remember that I've never met a single person who actually thinks GMG.com isn't full of out of touch elderly men bitching about pageantry and irrelevant things. Sausage fest, man. Sausage fest. I feel like I'm surrounded by imbeciles. I keep coming back because I enjoy discussing UNT, but the level of stupidity here...is...just...so...painfully...high...

I totally understand why the Queen, FroggyStyle and GL2greatness troll this place. You guys are just too easy and out of touch.

SMU! PAGEANTRY! NO PROFANITY! (But alcohol at games?) WE WANT BETTER ATTENDANCE BUT ONLY IF Y'ALL ARE CLASSY! WE'RE BETTER THAN TSSM! ACU!

...laughing my mf'in ass off.

This forum chases students off like, as I posted before, Clint Eastwood chases Asians off his yard.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

They are in the midst of a turnaround and have $26 stock. Not too shabby. Doing pretty fine last time I checked.

I liked that sneaky line about not all students being like me. Well, if there weren't many students like me, then you'd have about 100 students at the games, all freshman, who don't know any of the players or rules of football. Which coincidentally happened (100 students) after the GB butchered the fight song.

Who butchered the fight song first ... the Green Brigade or the Student Body???

• Upvote 1

Who butchered the fight song first ... the Green Brigade or the Student Body???

Who cares what the student body does? We'd still be having single digit crowds at Fouts if it wasn't for the students.

It's like the ULL game. Sold out student section and 1/4th filled alumn section. "Those damn students, ruining our kid's minds! They're the problem!" Tipper Gore over here. Take care of the fact y'all can't fill up your side for various BS reasons and the students will take care of their problems.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Before lockdown, let's look at the legal and social sides to going one way or another with this fight song "issue".

Legal first: Now, obviously the students could try to get money together to sue but that's less likely than the SGA vote. Aside from fees and a couple of other powers, SGA is mostly a recommendation body that provides the "voice" of the students. However, it's also the bureaucratic first step for any action the student body wants to take, because once it goes through SGA channels there are lots of other places it can end up. But if the SGA does push to get the fight song played in its entirety and that is ignored, that lawsuit seems like an even worse idea. The University can put time, place, and manner restrictions on free speech - and Cohen vs. California wouldn't work here because the form of speech is audible and not written (unless as mentioned previously, they put it on signs. It worked with an f-bomb on a shirt in a courtroom, so it's not a far stretch to think that it would work the same in this instance, though you may not get many shots of the student section on TV, so they would instead show the less-excited - and less full - parts of the stadium instead, which puts us as a community in a bit of a lose-lose situation). But yeah, let's look at the result of those restrictions.

Some fairly relevant posts (and some fairly obnoxious ones) have pointed out the problem that UNT has finally started to overcome, and that's that many students (especially those who choose to be active while enrolled) are treated like second-class citizens until graduation, and then are expected to give money and stay involved. Well, the more restrictions that are imposed and the more the fight is "students vs. everybody else," then the more you will see those students leave, never come back, and never donate a cent. So just because the University CAN impose stricter restrictions on speech, does that mean that it SHOULD? Well, it's hard to draw a line between people who already returned to be supportive and those you hope to see do the same.

I've mentioned before (a LONG time ago) that we could have a section-within-the-student-section. The crazy and rowdy and foulmouthed ones would be there (maybe somewhere nice and far away from families but still close to the opposing team). The stadium is a big place and if only a couple hundred "Wreckers" or whatever out of 20,000, still near the other students and opposing team but far from the alums and families, are being wild, then the problem is mostly contained and still allowed to exist in some form. This is just one idea but the key is to try to allow enough craziness to keep from driving students away, while also preventing driving alums and families away. It's a tricky situation but one that I think can work out with some creative problem-solving and brainstorming.

That latter part is why I made what may have seemed an out-of-place comment previously in this thread. It's one thing to invalidate someone's argument, tease, cajole, etc. But when the way it's presented could, either in or out of context, drive away a student, and by affiliation, their whole circle of friends who are also students, we could be taking a step backwards.

There are lots of ways this could be approached, but neither shutting up everyone who is too rowdy for you, nor expecting everyone to be as open to letting their children hear PG-13 language as me, is a likely answer. I gave one example of a solution that fits both sides. Who has another one?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure if anybody knows this or not, but if you're not in the students' section, it's very, and I mean very, hard to hear that part of the fight song. The only thing I heard from that section the one game that I wasn't there, was the occasional shouts of Noooorth! Texaaaas! and the cheer of bullsh*t! every now and then. But regarding the fight song, I didn't even know that there was anything added in the first place, until I sat in the students' section and there were people saying it. So I don't think there's any point in talking about how little kids might hear cusswords, because they're most likely not going to be in the students' section. And just as some extra info, I was talking to one of my friends who's in theGreen Brigade, and she said that Dr. Williams might want to keep the fight song the way it was at the end of last year, until people just kind of "forget the whole thing ever happened". Which of course, will not work at all. People won't just forget all about it, unless you keep it out for many generations.

• Upvote 3

Now, you should already know that UNT never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Here's what will appen in a nutshell:

1. UNT keeps the edited version of fight song

2. Students will gripe and complain to no avail

3. If what Meangreener said is true, then it will go up for a vote in SGA and make it go back to the extended version.

4. The admin will disregard the student vote and continue the edited version

5. An even bigger rift between student & alumni and student & UNT will occur.

6 Students will become alumni, leave Denton and never give UNT another thought

7. Repeat cycle

Now tell me if what I said wasn't spot on. As much as a good number of you hate me, I have never said anything that wasn't true nor have I ever been wrong. (It may not be the way many of you want to hear it but still, I have been right about everything.) Even if the edited version is here to stay, there is a pretty decent way to handle this, but UNT is already grossly mishandling the situation and things don't appear to be looking up anytime soon.

Inb4 why are you even here

Inb4 generic meatloaf joke

Inb4 somebody calls me CougarQueen

Inb4 Emmitt tells me I failed out

Inb4 Somebody flings anymore generic, unoriginal insults as opposed to trying to dispute my points (which doesn't happen because I do my homework)

Inb4 somebody makes some kind of homework joke

Just mother effn stop.

You don't like NT, we get it. Move on with your pathetic life.

• Upvote 2

Y'all are literally the worst alumni. This has to be the most braindead group of supporters. Not all, but a massive amount of y'all. Just braindead. Whenever I get annoyed or question UNT, I just remember that I've never met a single person who actually thinks GMG.com isn't full of out of touch elderly men bitching about pageantry and irrelevant things. Sausage fest, man. Sausage fest. I feel like I'm surrounded by imbeciles. I keep coming back because I enjoy discussing UNT, but the level of stupidity here...is...just...so...painfully...high...

I totally understand why the Queen, FroggyStyle and GL2greatness troll this place. You guys are just too easy and out of touch.

SMU! PAGEANTRY! NO PROFANITY! (But alcohol at games?) WE WANT BETTER ATTENDANCE BUT ONLY IF Y'ALL ARE CLASSY! WE'RE BETTER THAN TSSM! ACU!

...laughing my mf'in ass off.

This forum chases students off like, as I posted before, Clint Eastwood chases Asians off his yard.

Does this mean your leaving? I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of students and thankfully none have been like you. Oh wait, you always tell the truth, so you must be right.

• Upvote 2

If this whole short fight song thing keeps up, I'll probably start singing the old North Texas State version. I'm not quitting on UNT, but I'm also not quitting on this either. I graduate from high school in two years, and I'll be studying here at UNT, but I already live on campus. (not TAMS, if anybody was wondering) But I want to enjoy all the time I have here and I want all the other students to enjoy it too. And if it means letting people say whatever they want in a fight song then so be it! I admit, I do say it, only in the students's section, and I try not to be too loud about it too. As I said before, it's school spirit, and it gives tons of people, including me, pride to be part of this awesome school. It's just crazy that there are people who are just so worried about what other people might think of us, that they'll just bann any new things like that that students come up with.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Excellent post

I am no prude, but there are young children at the games and we want them and their parents at the games. Why risk losing anyone over this nonsense? If we are so bereft of tradition that we have to resort bad adolescent humor for it then we are not the creative and talented university I have always thought we were. Start a tradition of fun, raucous crowd pleasing music at the games for heaven's sake and that will please everybody. And by the way, we should be making so much noise during the fight song that the lyrics become almost unintelligible.
  • Upvote 2