Fight song

Eagle96

Just curious, but did anyone else notice that the Green Brigade was repeatedly not playing the entire fight song Saturday night? The part they kept leaving out was the "U...N...T...UNT Eagles Fight Fight Fight!" Same thing happened at the volleyball game last Friday night. The basketball band played the whole thing tonight though. Just wondering if something "official" changed or if the band was just taking a bit of artist license.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's because of something that happened at a football game back in October. You might of heard the version that goes "U... N... T... Mother f*ckin eagles!" You'll hear it somewhere in the students section. Well, that got on to national tv, and the whole administration is embarrased about it. But don't worry, it's not official. It'll be back next year.

Yeah, it's because of something that happened at a football game back in October. You might of heard the version that goes "U... N... T... Mother f*ckin eagles!" You'll hear it somewhere in the students section. Well, that got on to national tv, and the whole administration is embarrased about it. But don't worry, it's not official. It'll be back next year.

They might put it back. It all depends if people stop inserting obscenities into the fight song.

Did they learn their manners with video games, too?

And then it will go away again. I know kids in college think they are the center of the universe, but they are sadly mistaken.

Grow up. Realize that older alums that have actually accomplished a thing or two in life don't appreciate obscenities in their alma mater's fight song. Realize that they are pissed that your immaturity caused THEIR fight song to be altered. Realize that maybe people with young children in the crowd don't want their children exposed to this language.

And most of all, maybe have a sense of self-perspective that when you get older, this will be behavior of which you will be very embarrassed. If you grow up, that is.

Excellent post

And then it will go away again. I know kids in college think they are the center of the universe, but they are sadly mistaken.

Grow up. Realize that older alums that have actually accomplished a thing or two in life don't appreciate obscenities in their alma mater's fight song. Realize that they are pissed that your immaturity caused THEIR fight song to be altered. Realize that maybe people with young children in the crowd don't want their children exposed to this language.

And most of all, maybe have a sense of self-perspective that when you get older, this will be behavior of which you will be very embarrassed. If you grow up, that is.

Did I say I do it or that I condone it?

No.

Here we go with the students vs. alumni again.

Gotta love it.

The amount of "I'm older than you, I have skins on the wall" on here is still, to this day, completely hilarious. What a complex, with some of our older alumni.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Did I say I do it or that I condone it?

No.

Here we go with the students vs. alumni again.

Gotta love it.

The amount of "I'm older than you, I have skins on the wall" on here is still, to this day, completely hilarious. What a complex, with some of our older alumni.

My response wasn't aimed at you, unless, of course, you think that the added language is "f'n awesome" like so many immature students seem to think.

And yes, many on this board have earned the right to be respected through their many contributions to this university. Maybe you will earn that respect some day, too.

But you haven't yet.

Thinking that bad language makes a traditional song better is a huge sign of immaturity. The students who chose to use that language in the fight song will look back in 10 years at what they caused and be ashamed. That is if they look back at all.

My guess is that the idiots that use this language will be the grads that get their paper and never look back. Probably will be huge UT fans in 10 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It may be immature, but it is one of the very few traditions that a large number of students participate in. Digest that for a minute.

That bears repeating. As an alumni who is moderately successful, I have no problem with curse words being shouted during a violent sport which leads to permanent brain damage. Priorities seems to be pretty messed up around here.

I'll take anything that engages the students and gets them active and involved. I recall my fairly well-respected Catholic high school, which repeatedly uses the once-shunned word "hell" and has a bluer version that memorably includes a reference to the "Holy Jumpin' Jesus Christ." The mature thing to do is to recognize that words only have the power one ascribes to them, and if one renders that power meaningless - you end up with a word like "humbug" -which was a word thought much bluer even then the f-word until recently.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It may be immature, but it is one of the very few traditions that a large number of students participate in. Digest that for a minute.

It's stil disrespectful to use it and to continue using it even after being asked to stop. Digest that for a minute.

That bears repeating. As an alumni who is moderately successful, I have no problem with curse words being shouted during a violent sport which leads to permanent brain damage. Priorities seems to be pretty messed up around here.

I'll take anything that engages the students and gets them active and involved. I recall my fairly well-respected Catholic high school, which repeatedly uses the once-shunned word "hell" and has a bluer version that memorably includes a reference to the "Holy Jumpin' Jesus Christ." The mature thing to do is to recognize that words only have the power one ascribes to them, and if one renders that power meaningless - you end up with a word like "humbug" -which was a word thought much bluer even then the f-word until recently.

Thats totally great that YOU don't have a problem with it. HOWEVER, many parents who bring their kids do have a problem with it.

It's not always about you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It's not a tradition. Traditions are things that are established over time AND things that we can all be proud of. Simply repeating something doesn't make it a "tradition". I poop pretty much every day. You'll never hear me speak fondly of my "tradition" of pooping.

• Upvote 3

The great fight song debate continues...I'm sure if one of my kids goes to UNT someday, this will still be an issue.

I can see it's time for us to have "the talk". You see when a man AND a woman get together and the peni...oh nevermind, let's just leave it at you'd have to leave mommy's basement and get a girl.

• Upvote 4

It's not a tradition. Traditions are things that are established over time AND things that we can all be proud of. Simply repeating something doesn't make it a "tradition". I poop pretty much every day. You'll never hear me speak fondly of my "tradition" of pooping.

You missed my point. I was just getting at the fact that we don't have many traditions at all that people actually participate in. Also, did I say I was a fan of it?

• Upvote 1

It doesn't bother me one way or the other. I don't shout it when the time comes but I'm not offended when I hear it. What I think is silly is altering one of your school's traditions because of perceived immaturity of college students. If you're going to wait around for kids to quit being immature you may as well cancel the fight song all together. I also find it silly that Some of the same people are willing to look the other way when a player beats up a kid on Fry or gets busted shoplifting... But are abhorred by general population cursing in the stands.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It doesn't bother me one way or the other. I don't shout it when the time comes but I'm not offended when I hear it. What I think is silly is altering one if your sxhool's traditions because perceived immaturity of college students. If you're going to wait around for kids to quit being immature you may as well cancel the fight song all together. I also find it silly that Some of the same people are willing to look the other way when a player beats up a kid on Fry or gets busted shoplifting... But are abhorred by general population cursing in the stands.

Who wants to look the other way in regards to shoplifting or assault? I must have missed that thread.

• Upvote 1