TMS Race Sneaks Up On Bonfire Event...No Football Team Tonight

FirefightnRick

I have just come to realize that there are a couple of alums on here that used to be heavily involved and wanted NT to have a big time program. Now that the department has progressed beyond requiring their input they feel left behind.

BINGO!

• Upvote 1

BUT the Athletic Department administration will always have a need for shills, fawners, lap dogs, and apologist.

And they will absolutely have no place for those who always want to see the glass as half-empty, those who "used" to and those who try to tear the program down in public every chance they get.

So...we are doing philosophy now...cool.

• Upvote 3

And they will absolutely have no place for those who always want to see the glass as half-empty, those who "used" to and those who try to tear the program down in public every chance they get.

So...we are doing philosophy now...cool.

Critical evaluation/assessment does not tear down any program. Ineptitude, indifference and incompetence does.....along with the help of the aforementioned shills, fawners, lap dogs, and apologist.

In fact, the current business establishment always encourages assessments on a regular basis. I can't buy a gallon of milk from Albertsons or Wal-mart or "name just about any retailer out there" without getting encouraged to go on-line and complete a survey about my shopping experience.

How often does the athletic department invite/insist that we, as alumni/customers, do the same thing?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Well, when I was going to High School that's who the pep rally's were mainly for. I know it helps get the student body revved up, but I'm pretty sure that pep rallies are for the team. So if they don't come, what's the purpose?

And I'm sure when you were in high school you had to walk to school. In the snow. Barefoot. Uphill. Both ways.

All joking aside, why do we insist on comparing ourselves to the high school level? Talk about an inferiority complex. :blink:

• Upvote 1

Ok...really tried to get over FFR's latest inane stab at my past support for the UNT athletic program...just want to set the record straight a bit (and not talking about financial donations here as that is none of any one's business)...but just attendance type support....well, maybe a tad other as well. And, please skip this if you wish...not in any way "bragging" about anything here...it just is what it is...

Let's see...actually saw (in person) Abner Haynes play for UNT (I think that was the first game that got me interested in North Texas...lived in Dallas at the time and drove up with my Dad...great fun), went to classes with Joe Greene and saw all of those games, had season tickets to basketball back in the "Original pit days" and during the first year the Super Pit (with the orange seats opened). Actually was part of the group that Joe Holland help start to replace the seats with green ones...you can see our names on a plaque attached to the Super Pit wall in the concourse level...did you see those orange seats FFR? Sat through the snow game at Fouts against Florida State...I think that was well over 30 years ago (I think Silver was there but I doubt FFR was there...you remember those teams FFR?), saw Shanklin play in person, our kid was a BB ball boy for about 7 years for UNT...took him to his first UNT BB game in 1979 when he was 3 DAYS old...yes, sat in our season ticket seats....don't think just random non-supporter's kids get to do that job for seven years...do they? Actually refereed a Men's SOCCER game/exhibition at Fouts, was part of the UNT Soccer booster club (yes, we had one of those back in the day) and sat through the meeting where the men's program was "killed"....Was part of a program here with the Mean Green Club years ago where we bought life insurance policies to help fund the program when/if we all keeled over...Joe Holland was involved in that as well...that program was eliminated after a few years.....Loved watching Jordan case play, saw Iseed Khoury kick those amazing field goals and then play men's soccer....Oh, yes, I did miss about 4 years in there when I was serving in the US Air Force during the Viet Nam era...guess you are right FFR....I am a newbie! Maybe you just didn't see me as I wasn't wearing a special costume and pretty much blended into the crowd....by the way...loved those BB games in the old Pit...loved watching all those FB games I did at Fouts and now at Apogee. So, did I see that 2000- 2001-2002 era group play....oh, yes...great memories of that group and as I mentioned earlier, we have a "chosen grandson" who played during that period...so, yep...saw a bunch. Want me to bring my Men's soccer team autographed ball to the next game...got that for my work with the booster club years and years ago while you (FFR) may have still been in diapers...who knows? Or, how about my Steve Sloan autographed Mean Green sports poster? Wonder where that came from since I am so new to the program?????

OK, enough....tired of this stuff.....the next time you want to compare "who has done what and for how long" you might want to do your research first.

AND...let this be said loud and clear....WHO CARES?????? I do this because it is fun and I love it...not to try to be "better" than anyone else. If that's your game, you have some personal problems to deal with it seems....MANY MANY folks on this board and elsewhere have records of support for UNT athletics that would put what little I have done to shame. But, funny thing...those folks are not the ones trying to belittle me and what I have done for UNT...they tend to say thanks more often than not.

And, most of us realize that every supporter is important...new, long-time or in the middle. And...every one should be thanked. But no one in the Athletic Department should have to kiss any part of any fans anatomy just becuse they give or in some cases "used" to give and just want to live in the past. Perhaps a little perspective would help.

Worth thinking about perhaps....sorry to all for posting this, but sometimes you get need to set the record straight. The folks I really care about will understand, others well, you have my apologies for having to put up with this.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Critical evaluation/assessment does not tear down any program. Ineptitude, indifference and incompetence does.....along with the help of the aforementioned shills, fawners, lap dogs, and apologist.

In fact, the current business establishment always encourages assessments on a regular basis. I can't buy a gallon of milk from Albertsons or Wal-mart or "name just about any retailer out there" without getting encouraged to go on-line and complete a survey about my shopping experience.

How often does the athletic department invite/insist that we, as alumni/customers, do the same thing?

Absolutely...do not disagree at all....helpful assessments, done in the proper way and professionally are always welcome. And, FYI...I am asked quite often by various staffers my opinion...and, in private, it is not always what some might think it would be. But, it is ALWAYS done in private, with the proper person and in a professional and respectful manner.

PS...those on-line survey answers you mention are not shared with the public. being critical for the sake of being critical is in no way helpful...and in fact is quite damaging. If you don't know the difference I suggest you learn it.....constructive criticism is always welcome (or at least should be) within any organization...constant whining from folks who have a consistent history of whining is not going to be listened to, but rather turned off. Those of us who have worked in the private sector with the public for many many years tend to know how this works as we experienced the "whiners and constant complainers" and weeded them out pretty fast from those offering constructive criticism and constructive suggestions. We had a saying that was very true...and acted upon from time to time..."Sometimes you just have to FIRE a customer".

Please raise your hand if you think whining on a message board is the way to help enact change anywhere????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your OLD Kram!! Still love ya man, but did you get to play with real dinosaurs as a kid instead of the plastic ones we all did? :thumbsu:

I can't remember!!!!! You young whipper snapper you...+1 for you sir...well played! :thumbsu: back at ya!

• Upvote 2

Yeah, because you were the only one that could have possibly been there and seen that. Oh wait, so was I. I saw every game. Wait, I think I remember between 15 - 25K other people there at some of those games.

And while they were certainly the best team we have had in recent history, that wasn't the best defense we ever had. We did have a few decent players back in the late 60's that had a pretty decent little record. But, I doubt you ever saw them play a single down, but know they were one of our greatest teams in history and possibly fielded one of the all time greatest defenses this university ever produced.

I don't remember if the football teams were at the bonfire, and frankly I don't give an M'fer (yeah, I got to work that in as well). That the football team comes or doesn't come to the bonfire is NOT a tradition, having the bonfire is a tradition

You seem to be trying to suggest that we won because we went to the bonfire? You might also want to point out that "during their string of championships", which was 2001 - 2004, we didn't have a bonfire in 2003 (or 2005 for that matter), so I guess they did miss at least one during their string of championships and yet they somehow still won? In fact, we were 9-4 in 2003 and that was DD's best record of his career when the team didn't go to a bonfire.

I feel like an ass for my post the other day. Completely out of line. My apologies. I took the post completely the wrong way and now see where you were coming from.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, because you were the only one that could have possibly been there and seen that. Oh wait, so was I. I saw every game. Wait, I think I remember between 15 - 25K other people there at some of those games.

And while they were certainly the best team we have had in recent history, that wasn't the best defense we ever had. We did have a few decent players back in the late 60's that had a pretty decent little record. But, I doubt you ever saw them play a single down, but know they were one of our greatest teams in history and possibly fielded one of the all time greatest defenses this university ever produced.

I don't remember if the football teams were at the bonfire, and frankly I don't give an M'fer (yeah, I got to work that in as well). That the football team comes or doesn't come to the bonfire is NOT a tradition, having the bonfire is a tradition

You seem to be trying to suggest that we won because we went to the bonfire? You might also want to point out that "during their string of championships", which was 2001 - 2004, we didn't have a bonfire in 2003 (or 2005 for that matter), so I guess they did miss at least one during their string of championships and yet they somehow still won? In fact, we were 9-4 in 2003 and that was DD's best record of his career when the team didn't go to a bonfire.

I never suggested a thing that I was the only one.

And I said the '02 team was "ONE OF" the best. Not "The Best".

And no, I never got to see the '68 and '69 teams play but I damn sure respect their accomplishments and any traditions they and their fans may have established back then. I love hearing the stories though. The game in Arkansas sounds like a doozy and that we got screwed.

And I do give a &@#% if the team is there at bonfire. You may not. But I do.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Absolutely...do not disagree at all....helpful assessments, done in the proper way and professionally are always welcome. And, FYI...I am asked quite often by various staffers my opinion...and, in private, it is not always what some might think it would be. But, it is ALWAYS done in private, with the proper person and in a professional and respectful manner.

PS...those on-line survey answers you mention are not shared with the public. being critical for the sake of being critical is in no way helpful...and in fact is quite damaging. If you don't know the difference I suggest you learn it.....constructive criticism is always welcome (or at least should be) within any organization...constant whining from folks who have a consistent history of whining is not going to be listened to, but rather turned off. Those of us who have worked in the private sector with the public for many many years tend to know how this works as we experienced the "whiners and constant complainers" and weeded them out pretty fast from those offering constructive criticism and constructive suggestions. We had a saying that was very true...and acted upon from time to time..."Sometimes you just have to FIRE a customer".

Please raise your hand if you think whining on a message board is the way to help enact change anywhere????

Is your reading comprehension that bad? I didn't utter one syllable about the joys of being critical for it's own sake. And I will thank you to never lecture me again about my ability to understand the English language ie... (If you don't know the difference I suggest you learn it...)

Once again, I said that I can't buy a gallon of milk without being asked to give feedback about my shopping experience and provide assessments. And that I have not received the same from the athletic department. Where in there was a statement about my (or anyone else's) love of being critical for it's own sake?

Whether or not something is constructive criticism or whining is often a matter of perception/perspective and one's ego. And if YOU don't know the difference, then I suggest that you learn it.

Do you think that Jerry Jones listens to Dale Hansen and other sports writers when they strongly suggest that he turn over the general manager's job to a real general manager. Or does he listen to his favorite toady/lap dog?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1