Global warming stopped (link)

It was panic in the streets I tell ya.

Newsweek: The Cooling World, April 28, 1975.

..."Here is the text of Newsweek’s 1975 story on the trend toward global cooling. It may look foolish today, but in fact world temperatures had been falling since about 1940. It was around 1979 that they reversed direction and resumed the general rise that had begun in the 1880s, bringing us today back to around 1940 levels...."

http://denisdutton.com/cooling_world.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It was panic in the streets I tell ya.

Newsweek: The Cooling World, April 28, 1975.

..."Here is the text of Newsweek's 1975 story on the trend toward global cooling. It may look foolish today, but in fact world temperatures had been falling since about 1940. It was around 1979 that they reversed direction and resumed the general rise that had begun in the 1880s, bringing us today back to around 1940 levels...."

http://denisdutton.com/cooling_world.

Rick

Hi Rick,

You do know that Newsweek isn't a scientific journal, right?

You do know that today, 37 years after that article, we have better models than were available in 1975?

You do know that even then, most climate scientists were skeptical about the interpretation that suggested 'global cooling'?

You do know that today the vast majority of climate scientists accept that the earth's climate is, on average, warming & that man is largely responsible?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think it is humorous and cute that we can take less than 100 years of actual climate data and think that we after 0.000000025% of earths history (assuming a 4 billion year old planet and a generous 100 years of data) that we are qualified to lump that minuscule amount of time into massive assumptions regarding the climate of the planet.

Somebody said this before on this board ... We are not that important....

Ice ages on this planet have lasted thousands of years, there have been thousands of years of warmer climates as well.... We don't know what the average temp changes were year over year, decade over decade, or day over day back then like we do for the last 75years or so. To assume differently than that is arrogant at best and irresponsible and dangerous at worst.

I am not saying that man doesn't have an effect on it all, we very well might. I just don't buy that such a small sample size gives us knowledge that insurmountable that we don't even consider that there might be cycles to the earths climate based on things much bigger than ourselves. That percentage of time that we have been recording this stuff is equivalent to auditing the flora and fauna of 0.004 sq mi of California and saying that we know all there is to know in this place, arrogance.

• Upvote 2

I just don't buy....

Hickory just doesn't buy it. His informed opinion is based on years of education in the physical & earth sciences. He's devoted his long, productive scientific career to the study of climate change.

Yeah, I'm convinced.

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 1