Operation Sellout

emmitt01

I've had this idea in my head for a while now and had been trying to figure out the logistics of how to make it work, and I think I may finally have it. What I want to do, with some help from all of you, is put together an "Operation Sellout" event for the Texas Southern game. (We will have a pretty big-time basketball recruit in attendance that night also so there are additional ulterior motives) This game will need the most help attracting casual fans so, after racking my brain, I settled on attracting even more students to make up for the grumpy old folks who don't think TSU is sexy enough. Here's the plan as I've devised it.

1)Get with all of you to see if this is feasible. (For the more Debbie Downer types, please come up with GOOD reasons why this can't succeed...i.e. more than you're unwilling/unable to actually get off your butts to do more than complain)

2)Secure some give aways that will actually entice the average student. Televisions, free books, free tuition, a mother load of t-shirts to give away during the game. Be creative but THINK BIG. Restaurant gift cards and movie passes won't cut it if we want to really motivate. We could try to get these prizes donated, we could take up a collection here on GMG to purchase them (a paypal account isn't hard to set up), or we could go to the RHA, SGA...or maybe even the Exes, Kram?

3)Get with athletics and the residence halls to get the word out. Also, get the AD on board to announce the winners over the jumbo tron or PA system.

4)Find some of you who are willing to give up a portion of your game day to make this work.

For a long time I tried hard to work out how to get the "must be present to win" portion to come off without a hitch and it came to me while I was waking up from a nap today. I think I have found a way to ensure that you can't just get a raffle ticket, walk back out to your couch to drink, and then collect when you hear your name called. If you're willing to help and will SERIOUSLY get on board just reply here and then I'll shoot you a PM with my "solution."

I'm willing to give up my off days in the next few weeks, and drive back and forth from Denton, to get the logistics of this done. But I would love some help and a team to get on board. We are at just over a month from that first home game so let me know, are we up to the challenge GMG?

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

It's great to see the UNT Athletic Department finally doing something to boost opening game attendance..................oh, wait! You're not with the athletic department, are you emmitt01?

Sarcasm alert.

Seriously, living a gazillion miles from Denton, all I can do is donate. Let me know when that is set up and I'll be glad to help.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It's great to see the UNT Athletic Department finally doing something to boost opening game attendance..................oh, wait! You're not with the athletic department, are you emmitt01?

Sarcasm alert.

Seriously, living a gazillion miles from Denton, all I can do is donate. Let me know when that is set up and I'll be glad to help.

Thank you Deep. If/when we get to that point I will look forward to your help.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Im a student and live a couple of blocks of campus. I can tell you that last year there was not much if anything around the campus promoting football games or basketball games.

I dont have a solution, but thought some info about student knowledge of games would be some help. I think signs and enthusiastic students promoting it could go a long way...as far as student attendence is concerned.

There are a lot of music majors with no interest in sports though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Im a student and live a couple of blocks of campus. I can tell you that last year there was not much if anything around the campus promoting football games or basketball games.

I dont have a solution, but thought some info about student knowledge of games would be some help. I think signs and enthusiastic students promoting it could go a long way...as far as student attendence is concerned.

Agreed. The Athletic Dept. absolutely sucks at promoting games to students. There were like 2 small (like 2 foot high) signs on campus usually, and sometimes they weren't even updated with correct information. And they had people upstairs in the union sometimes, but who goes upstairs in the union?

I'd be down to donate whatever my student budget can afford and if anything is going down I can spread the word to some students. I'd offer to get my dorm on board, but it's Mozart...I think if anything goes down the basketball players will be all over letting the people in Mozart know what's up.

Let me be clear before I make my one negative comment. I love this idea. But, there is one issue. There are only 8,000 free student tickets. If we get 8,000 students to go, that's one side of the stadium all good. But the community and alumni have to be involved somehow or the rest of the stadium isn't going to fill up.

• Upvote 2

"Let me be clear before I make my one negative comment. I love this idea. But, there is one issue. There are only 8,000 free student tickets. If we get 8,000 students to go, that's one side of the stadium all good. But the community and alumni have to be involved somehow or the rest of the stadium isn't going to fill up. "

Couldn't agree more. What I'm trying to do, though, is get ALL 8000 of those seats used and gUarantee that all 8000 want to return.

• Upvote 2

"Let me be clear before I make my one negative comment. I love this idea. But, there is one issue. There are only 8,000 free student tickets. If we get 8,000 students to go, that's one side of the stadium all good. But the community and alumni have to be involved somehow or the rest of the stadium isn't going to fill up. "

Couldn't agree more. What I'm trying to do, though, is get ALL 8000 of those seats used and gUarantee that all 8000 want to return.

In that case, you will succeed. This is the perfect game to get borderline students to come...watching us obliterate Southern will give them faith in our team.

• Upvote 3

UNT needs to get a liquor license plain and simple.

The amount of money the school would make from all the events on campus would be huge.

Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Softball, (Baseball)

Music concerts haven't happened at Appogee because we don't have the liquor license

Eric Capper ,Senior AD, has posted links on his twitter of how U of Minnesota just got their liquor license for this season.

Maybe he is pushing to get the same for Appogee.

Tailgate at The Hill

Party at Appogee

Win at Appogee

After Party at The Hill

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

The amount of money the school would make from all the events on campus would be huge.

Music concerts haven't happened at Appogee because we don't have the liquor license

Eric Capper ,Senior AD, has posted links on his twitter of how U of Minnesota just got their liquor license for this season.

Tailgate at The Hill

Party at Appogee

Win at Appogee

After Party at The Hill

I don't want to be that guy, but: Apogee***

• Upvote 3

Not to come off as rude but could we PLEASE not turn this thread into a sounding board for complaints or alternative ideas. There are multiple what if threads already. This is a plan that I think actually CAN be accomplished. I'd like to keep the replies to working toward that end.

Tailgate at The Hill

Party at Appogee

Win at Appogee

After Party at The Hill

Tailgate at The Hill

Party at Appogee

Win at Appogee

After Party at The Hill

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Find out if the Ocean Of Soul is coming and they might be interested.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. The Athletic Dept. absolutely sucks at promoting games to students. There were like 2 small (like 2 foot high) signs on campus usually, and sometimes they weren't even updated with correct information. And they had people upstairs in the union sometimes, but who goes upstairs in the union?

I'd be down to donate whatever my student budget can afford and if anything is going down I can spread the word to some students. I'd offer to get my dorm on board, but it's Mozart...I think if anything goes down the basketball players will be all over letting the people in Mozart know what's up.

Let me be clear before I make my one negative comment. I love this idea. But, there is one issue. There are only 8,000 free student tickets. If we get 8,000 students to go, that's one side of the stadium all good. But the community and alumni have to be involved somehow or the rest of the stadium isn't going to fill up.

The athletic department isn't going to turn away students. They'd go past 8000 tickets if students were still coming to the gate and tickets in other areas were still available

Edited by UNTcrazy727

There are only 8,000 free student tickets. If we get 8,000 students to go, that's one side of the stadium all good.

Last year, there was a lot of talk that the students would take up more than their allotted 8000 for the Apogee opener against Houston. But if I recall correctly, President V. Lane Rawlins assured everyone that he would make sure that every student who wanted a seat would have a seat. I don't think I'm jumping too terribly far to assume the promise stands for this year's home opener.

I really look forward to the day when this is an actual problem.

• Upvote 1

Just a thought.

GO GREEN....

Free green body paint stations under the trees. Advertise it around campus, in the school paper, etc. Get various student groups involved in applying the paint. How about 8,000 screaming green lunatics going crazy in the stands. It would make for some good TV coverage. Give some prizes for the best paint job, etc. A lot of students who are not into football would show up just to see what happens.

• Upvote 4

Just a thought.

GO GREEN....

Free green body paint stations under the trees. Advertise it around campus, in the school paper, etc. Get various student groups involved in applying the paint. How about 8,000 screaming green lunatics going crazy in the stands. It would make for some good TV coverage. Give some prizes for the best paint job, etc. A lot of students who are not into football would show up just to see what happens.

I like this idea!

• Upvote 1

You know those obnoxious little signs that builders put out for their new developments they are trying to sell? They hire a service that will put out the signs for them. Do that around Campus and Denton to advertise. Anyone who drives around Denton and pays attention will know there is a game.

• Upvote 1

Ok guys, AGAIN, I just need to know who is willing to help me with THIS idea? We can brainstorm all day different ideas but this is one I actually have planned out and just need help to move forward.

Anyone who has an alternative idea...and the will to personally seer it through...more power to you. But I see the clock ticking and just want to see if there is a solid commitment to make it happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know those obnoxious little signs that builders put out for their new developments they are trying to sell? They hire a service that will put out the signs for them. Do that around Campus and Denton to advertise. Anyone who drives around Denton and pays attention will know there is a game.

Agreed. I really think they need to step up the advertisements, be it on TV, around campus and Denton, whatever. A student or visitor to the campus shouldn't be able to walk around campus all day and not know there is a game coming up. Hell, even make a loudspeaker announcement daily on the week of football games whenever the bell tower version of the fight song plays. If we can play music through a speaker on top of the clock tower, we should be able to make a game announcement loud enough for the whole campus to hear too.

Ok guys, AGAIN, I just need to know who is willing to help me with THIS idea? We can brainstorm all day different ideas but this is one I actually have planned out and just need help to move forward.

Anyone who has an alternative idea...and the will to personally seer it through...more power to you. But I see the clock ticking and just want to see if there is a solid commitment to make it happen.

I'm willing to do whatever a student on a low budget will be able to do for this. Let me know how I can help and I'm there.

To fund this, how bout we sell tickets to a FirefightnRick vs Censored By Laurie Cage Match to the Death....

.................or

A speed hat knitting contest......whatever CBL would mostly be up for?

...oops, forgot the sarcasm alert.

PS... Emmitt, love y'alls passion.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Alright folks, nevermind. I give up. I thought I'd throw out an idea to increase attendance that we could all get behind. Thought I'd basically lay out a plan and just ask for people to get on board. Per tradition on this board, though, I've been met with a whole lotta "here's an alternative plan" and "here's the flaw I see in your plan" and not a whole bunch of "Yeah, good idea, I'm willing to help and we'll work out the kinks together." Amazing how many people have swell ideas...but I never see the "and this is how I personally am willing to make it so" part. Hell, some have even suggested we put off the efforts for increasing attendance until the La-Lafayette game...the ONE game that practically sells itself because it's nationally televised and the one game that the AD will probably goes balls out in promoting. Brilliant. Let's just table our efforts and let the least attractive game on our schedule sell itself. KRAM used to strike me as being a bit whiny when he brow beat a lot of you for sitting on your hands...now I just see that he was frustrated.

When I was a student and saw a bunch of other schools' t-shirts on our campus I personally went out and raised the money for 1,000 NT t-shirts to trade out for their non-NT garb. Set up a table and distributed them for months. Surely none of you are naive enough to think RV, despite the mileage that his "girls can change in my office" comment got, came up with this idea. If so, I have ocean front property in Oklahoma for you.

Ever seen a student wearing green on Fridays on campus? They even have specially made t-shirts that say "wear your green on Friday" nowadays. Think the university came up with that one? Ummmm, nope. I'm again guilty as charged. Why? Because I saw a need and went about personally making the solution happen. That the university came to me and picket it up to run with it was a glorious welcome bonus.

Now the "Get the Green Out" movement of putting up schedule posters has taken off. Much thanks to KRAM for taking this ball and running with it, but this is yet another example of time and sweat I put forth initially.

The point here is not to pat myself on the back. Not to say that I'm better than any of you. I'm just exhausted and now done with giving up my free time, money and effort to be the "seed planter" when it seems everyone is content to pick up the ball only when I've carried it to the red-zone. I'll take my place beside the rest of our woefully small fanbase in the stands each Saturday and lament the lack of attendance...all the while knowing that I could have done something abut it, just didn't have the backing from our fellow "die hards".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We're throwing out ideas and such because you still haven't told us a single thing about what anyone can do. How can we do anything towards your plan if you don't tell us what the F it is? I'm not trying to sound like a douche. I'm 100% behind you with this idea. But you haven't given us a shred of knowledge on what we can do, how we can do it, who we should talk to, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1