OC Games This Year ?

Wondering if perhaps we will schedule any OC games with our future CUSA mates ? Would definately be interesting !

I'd be surprised. Partly because most of our schedule is already set, and partly because we wouldn't be able to do a home-and-home series if we're going to play as conference opponents the following season.

If we're going to sell a game, I'd rather see us sell one for BCS money and potential exposure if we were to win.

I'd be surprised. Partly because most of our schedule is already set, and partly because we wouldn't be able to do a home-and-home series if we're going to play as conference opponents the following season.

If we're going to sell a game, I'd rather see us sell one for BCS money and potential exposure if we were to win.

You say that our schedule is mostly set. Any crums of info available ?

My guess, getting games with anybody that have not already been scheduled are going to be difficult. Most teams are not going to want any part of Mitchell and Company.

I bet alot of the top tier teams wouldn't mind. It would be a great test for their teams. But I'm afraid you're right. Unless we schedule Kansas(again)/Kentucky/Duke/et al., we may not get a shot at a beatable team other than the ones we already have on the schedule like MS St.

• Upvote 1

You say that our schedule is mostly set. Any crums of info available ?

20 conference games... 10 home and 10 away.

UTA at the Pit

At Mississippi State

At Kansas State for at least 2 NIT Season Tip-Off games

Should be 5 or 6 others at most (not including additional NIT Season Tip-Off games... those count as part of the MTE and aren't additional games against our limit).

There seemed to be 2 slots to fill, in terms of calendar, back before the coaching staff changed. We usually buy 2 or 3 home games against Southland or SWAC type teams to fill out the home slate, but no contracts that I've heard about.

From what I understand, we have 24 out of 29 potential games locked in (assuming the NIT Season Tip-Off counts as 1 game towards the schedule... if it counts as 2, that goes up to 25). That doesn't include the rumored Mississippi State game.

Depending on how our MTE counts against max games and if the Mississippi State game is a sure thing... We could have as few as 3 more games that are up in the air to one degree or another. Could be as many as 5.

From what I understand, we have 24 out of 29 potential games locked in (assuming the NIT Season Tip-Off counts as 1 game towards the schedule... if it counts as 2, that goes up to 25). That doesn't include the rumored Mississippi State game.

Depending on how our MTE counts against max games and if the Mississippi State game is a sure thing... We could have as few as 3 more games that are up in the air to one degree or another. Could be as many as 5.

I hope the only non-Division 1 games we have are exibitions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why are we going to Miss State? Did we not just do that? I wish they'd come here. If LSU can, I see no reason why Miss State can't...they are no Duke or even a Gonzaga...just my two cents.

We sell games to make budget and buy 2 or more other home games every year.

I hope the only non-Division 1 games we have are exibitions.

Actually I had much rather schedule non-div 1 teams than the bottom of div 1, like some of the SWAC teams. The non div 1 do not count in the rpi, were playing low rated teams even if you win by big margins can cost a lot in the rpis.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Actually I had much rather schedule non-div 1 teams than the bottom of div 1, like some of the SWAC teams. The non div 1 do not count in the rpi, were playing low rated teams even if you win by big margins can cost a lot in the rpis.

Exactly. Coach Benford intimated that scheduling high RPI teams pulled our own down and the better the RPI the better chance for a tournament bid.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Looks like we need 4 more games. And apparently Bart Lundy is the point man on assembling the schedule (taking over for Luster, who took the responsibility over from Leonard and Foy).

Still looking to buy a home opener on Nov. 16th or 17th. 3 other slots to fill: the weekend after Thanksgiving, the first week of December, and a game between the end of finals week and Christmas. The listing we put up says we're hoping to start a new home-and-home, either here or on the road.

2 of those are apparently guarantee games that we're selling, so maybe the Mississippi State game isn't happening? Either that, or we'd selling 3 games in the same year... And I can't remember the last time that happened.

So, thinking it over... We've got a marquee MTE to open the year.

Otherwise, the non-conference schedule will be: Jackson State, a Southland game we're buying, UTA, buying a home opener, selling 2 paycheck games, and one TBD series that we'll potentially have to start on the road.

14-15 home games (SWAC, Southland, UTA, home opener, possibly the home side of a new series). It may be that UTA winds up being the marquee OOC home game on next year's schedule.

EDIT: I forgot, because I assume we're going to be the 3rd seed in our NIT pod. But, if we're the 2nd seed and don't make it to Madison Square Garden... We'll host a consolation round pod of 4 teams. So that would be 2 more home games against other consolation bracket teams. Not sure if those games would be included in the season ticket package.

what does it mean when you "buy" a game? is this the equivalent of our FB team going to OU or LSU or some other big name school every year just for money?

Opposite...we "buy" games from schools we want to bring to the Pit, typically for a sure-fire W, and don't want to return the trip.

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

Why are we going to Miss State? Did we not just do that? I wish they'd come here. If LSU can, I see no reason why Miss State can't...they are no Duke or even a Gonzaga...just my two cents.

Unlike football, college basketball coaches schedule their non conference games directly with their peers.J.J. and the then head coach at L.S.U. had a personal relationship,hence the home and home.If J.J. was still here, we would probably have a few home and home games with T.C.U. since thats where the x-L.S.U. coach ended up. College baseball schedules their non conference games the same way.Its called the buddy system.
  • Upvote 2

Unlike football, college basketball coaches schedule their non conference games directly with their peers.J.J. and the then head coach at L.S.U. had a personal relationship,hence the home and home.If J.J. was still here, we would probably have a few home and home games with T.C.U. since thats where the x-L.S.U. coach ended up. College baseball schedules their non conference games the same way.Its called the buddy system.

So, a home and home with Marquette is in the future?

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...