PG Chris "Odin" Jones

PG Alzee "Valkyrie" Williams

F Jordan "Ragnar" Williams

F Justin "Loki" Patton

F Tony "MFin" Mitchell

so patton is my evil brother??? haah!!!

and jones has some badass ravens...

Edited by All About UNT

This has developed into a circular argument. The initial post was your projected starting lineup and then why Patton. Those were answered and now we start again. Why anybody else but Patton? Make your case and go on. I have already stated that Holmen goes hot and cold and if can play consistently like he did in the tournament he will start. Franklin has a good inside offensive game and is a good defensive player but at about 6'4 IMO is a role player on next years team. I like Niko's offensive game but he has apparently never impressed the old coaching staff. Robinson would have to really improve his game to be a factor. Williams is primarily a guard but is super athletic and depending on what offense is played could get time in the paint.

I picked Odoh to start and now it looks more and more like he won't be here, so my guessed lineup would have to change. Then I think you go with Mitchell, Jones, A. Williams, Holmen and Patton.

When you think of it, NT returns 7 players that started a lot of games: MItchell, Jones, A. Williams, J. Williams, Holmen, Franklin and Walton. Plus potentially two recruits who could break into the lineup; Odoh and Hardwick. Mitchell is a potential AA, and Jones should be all Belt and Alzee Williams has a great game. Those three should get 30 or more minutes a game. There are a lot of players vying for the other 110 minutes.

???? I never even projected a starting lineup, and with the coaching changes and potential for "no shows", I think it's a little early for me to speculate on who will start where at this point with any certainty. I simply asked a poster (definitely not you) as to the reasons why he seemed to think that Patton should start on the front line along with TM instead of the other qualified candidates. Now that you have made your case, I guess you are now free to go on down the road.

• Downvote 2

???? I never even projected a starting lineup, and with the coaching changes and potential for "no shows", I think it's a little early for me to speculate on who will start where at this point with any certainty. I simply asked a poster (definitely not you) as to the reasons why he seemed to think that Patton should start on the front line along with TM instead of the other qualified candidates. Now that you have made your case, I guess you are now free to go on down the road.

I guess I should not reply to a post that is not directed toward me and/or go off on a tangent. Sorry, I guess you have time to completely analyze every comment to see it's origin and fully interpret but I chose not to do so. Sorry, although I am not sure exactly what for. Down the road I go, go, go.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying...

CJ

Alzee

Mitchell

Franklin

Coleman

I'm assuming this would be why Benford signed this guy... and if he is what he says he is... that's a nasty lineup

yeah that really is a Nasty Lineup for sure.... but my question is how deep are we at the 4 and 5 positions?... in a scenarion where Tony and Coleman were both in foul-trouble, who would be in the game?

yeah that really is a Nasty Lineup for sure.... but my question is how deep are we at the 4 and 5 positions?... in a scenarion where Tony and Coleman were both in foul-trouble, who would be in the game?

Patton, Niko, and Tony can shift down, then bring Holmen in to cover for the 3(depending how bad things get, Holmen could play the 4 for sure)

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

I'm going out on a limb here and saying...

CJ

Alzee

Mitchell

Franklin

Coleman

I'm assuming this would be why Benford signed this guy... and if he is what he says he is... that's a nasty lineup

Agreed... and you could have JW as the sixth man off the bench...he seemed to do well in that role at times last season. Bench is deep!

With our current personnel, I'd be shocked if Tony received more than a handful of minutes at the 3. We're loaded at guard and on the wings, and not so much down low. Granted, Tony himself makes our big man rotation a strength, but as far as depth, that's where we're the weakest.

• Upvote 1

Dream lineup to me would be Jones Alzee Mitchel Coleman Odoh

Not sure how that would work out and would make Tony a wing player, but it would provide the ability to out big and out athletic most teams and could be a hell of a zone team with Tony and Coleman as weakside shot blockers and Odoh clogging up the paint..

I know, the ship on this has sailed, but to me this would give the Belt fits

This. I like Hardwick, but on this team we need more bigs, not more PG's.

• Upvote 2

I guess I should not reply to a post that is not directed toward me and/or go off on a tangent. Sorry, I guess you have time to completely analyze every comment to see it's origin and fully interpret but I chose not to do so. Sorry, although I am not sure exactly what for. Down the road I go, go, go.

Good for you, thank you, and bye bye!

• Downvote 1

???? I never even projected a starting lineup, and with the coaching changes and potential for "no shows", I think it's a little early for me to speculate on who will start where at this point with any certainty. I simply asked a poster (definitely not you)

Sorry, bud, but if you put it out on a message board you are asking for a response from the entire board.

• Upvote 1

Alright...now that we (hopefully) know what the roster is going to look like, I'll have a go.

PG. Chris Jones - I think he's on the ball for 30 minutes a night, leaving about 10 minutes for either Hardwick or Norris...there could be a few occasions for Jones to slide to the 2, but with the wing depth on this team it seems unlikely you'd see it often.

SG. Alzee Williams - Before the Hardwick signing I thought Alzee was the ideal 6th man candidate due to his capability on the ball, but with 2 true points on the bench I think Alzee's lone role should be as a slashing/mid-range/defensive 2. I don't see how you could play Zee any less than 25 minutes a night, so at most you've 15 reserve minutes at the 2.

SF. Justin Patton - Patton was a good scorer, but more importantly to me, a good rebounder from the wing. I think his experience and toughness will help him force his way into the starting line-up, while his versatility will get him extended minutes at the 2, 3 and 4.

PF. Tony Mitchell - like, duh.

C. Keith Coleman - He's an unknown, sure, but he had high major interest and considering how quickly he was on Benford's radar it leads me to believe Coleman was at worst a fall-back option for Marquette...throw in his confessed willingness to rebound and bang, unconcerned with his scoring numbers, I'll make the leap of faith that he's got what it takes to start and take interior pressure of Mitchell.

Bench - Norris/Hardwick (whoever is playing better) at the 1...Walton should probably get first crack at bench minutes at the 2 as he still may be the only player who will stretch a defense, but unless his shot-selection and percentages go up I think with the depth at wing his minutes will be sporadic. J-Will, Holmen and Franklin will see plenty of time and at a variety of positions. Niko to me is the biggest wild-card...if he becomes just a bit more serviceable on the defensive end I think he could be a valuable 15-20 minute a night player...if not, I fear his offense alone isn't so significantly better than what the rest of the bench could bring to make up for his defensive lapses.

• Upvote 2

i would have tried to keep Odoh and let Niko go. I know the guy was good for us last year down the stretch, but man we need bigs.... If there was ever a way we could be deep enough at 4 and 5 to where Tony could consistenly start at the 3... this team would be pretty hard to beat....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

i would have tried to keep Odoh and let Niko go. I know the guy was good for us last year down the stretch, but man we need bigs.... If there was ever a way we could be deep enough at 4 and 5 to where Tony could consistenly start at the 3... this team would be pretty hard to beat....

You want our leading shot-blocker and rebounder on the wing? I'm not sure why this is so difficult to get, but Tony Mitchell is a college 4...at least defensively...Patton/Franklin/Holmen's ability to offensively play in the post will free Mitchell offensively a bit more, but defensively he needs to be the off post.

• Upvote 1

You want our leading shot-blocker and rebounder on the wing? I'm not sure why this is so difficult to get, but Tony Mitchell is a college 4...at least defensively...Patton/Franklin/Holmen's ability to offensively play in the post will free Mitchell offensively a bit more, but defensively he needs to be the off post.

No doubt. MAYBE a three at the next level, but a certain 4 around here.

• Upvote 1

Would had loved to get two bigs for Odoh and Robinson, because when you go deep into the big-time bigs are often pretty damn crucial, but I'm not complaining. At least the days of bitching about the lack of PG's should be over and done with for awhile. Man, this college trading thing has really gone viral these days.

• Upvote 1

He doesn't have to defend on the wing. I just meant offensively. I think if we had a decent 4 and 5 to where Tony can play the 3 then we could create severe mismatches for other teams... On defense, Tony could still be the 4 and play down low...

• Upvote 1

He doesn't have to defend on the wing. I just meant offensively. I think if we had a decent 4 and 5 to where Tony can play the 3 then we could create severe mismatches for other teams... On defense, Tony could still be the 4 and play down low...

I think Franklin can do this. He has a pretty good interior offensive game.

• Upvote 1

Then who would defend the 3? I think the roster as constructed, with guys like Patton, Franklin and Holmen who have low-post games but can also defend the wing, is ideal for Tony.

• Upvote 1

Then who would defend the 3? I think the roster as constructed, with guys like Patton, Franklin and Holmen who have low-post games but can also defend the wing, is ideal for Tony.

good point. I think we will be fine in the end. Benford has A LOT of confidence, it seems, in Coleman. Coleman is a bigger guy and i wonder how he does in the open space.. This is all speculation, of course, but i bet Benford's offense doesn't run that much. Not even close to what we've done in the past five years. I could see us slowing the game down and making it ugly. Taking advantages of mis-matches created by CJ and TM....and just playing good hard-nosed Defense....

• Upvote 1