I gota a strange feeling....

I loved the hire of Coach Dan. I didn't know much about him, but it took 5 minutes at his official Press Conference....and then I kneww we had someone special!

I also loved Johnnie Jones. He pulled this program up to a great level, and I am proud he got the job that he coveted. He will be great!

And, I also want thank all you loyal gomeangreen.com gang who keeps us up to date with tweets, blogs, rumors and the such. Every night I check in with great anticipation of breaking news, new recruits, and exciting updates. Seriously, thanks so much!

Did you ever believe a basketball coach would leave Wake Forest for UNT?

It appears we are closing in on a Men's Coach who will keep the train rolling!

A new Conference affliation looks bright!

Our other sports are having incredible years....from Women's Tennis to Golf!

We have bitched at each other for years: including me! We were taking pot shots at other GoMeanGreen members, because we have an uncanny love for our University...and wanted the BEST! We have lots of desire. We know our University's potential is limitless! All the years of frustration and lack of facilities and lack of money are finally behind us!

NOW: It's time for the Mean Green Nation!

I'm proud to stand with each of you....'cause UNT is not the sleepy ole campus North of Dallas anymore!

Thanks RV and the Staff for one GRAND job! For the students, Alums, fans and Administration thanks for believing "our time would time".

I got a funny feeling...our time is about to be NOW!!!

God Bless the Mean Green Nation!!!!

Damn Right! We are the Sleeping Giant. Coach DMac gave us a good slap and got us out of our coma, now we need to keep the Green Giant health and awake...

• Upvote 1

Cultivate support in the metroplex and it's more progressive cities, i.e. Lewisville, Corinth, Highland Village, Plano, Allen, Carrollton,etc. just to name a few. We have a great presence in each of these and more. It is time to shift our resources from an ungrateful and non-supportive Denton community to new venues that will appreciate what is happening @ UNT.

Edited by DallasGreen
  • Upvote 1

Cultivate support in the metroplex and it's more progressive cities, i.e. Lewisville, Corinth, Highland Village, Plano, Allen, Carrollton,etc. just to name a few. We have a great presense in each of these and more. It is time to shift our resources from an ungrateful and non-supportive Denton community to new venues that will appreciate what is happening @ UNT.

I don't know how long you've been around, but I have been involved at UNT for less than a dozen years... sadly, I'm coming to the same conclusion you are, and you've probably put up with the same apathy for much longer than me.

• Upvote 1

Did you ever believe a basketball coach would leave Wake Forest for UNT?

Yes,i believe in that. This is the new UNT man. Not the UNT that people were seeing 20 years back.

we have the potential we have the alumni we have the fans needed, we need to believe in our Mean Green, we need some more pride, we need more and more support, and proceed.

Go Mean Green.

I don't know how long you've been around, but I have been involved at UNT for less than a dozen years... sadly, I'm coming to the same conclusion you are, and you've probably put up with the same apathy for much longer than me.

Try 53 years (since the age of 12). I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly (and the support shown at our last Football game definitely falls in the UGLY category).

• Upvote 1

... It is time to shift our resources from an ungrateful and non-supportive Denton community to new venues that will appreciate what is happening @ UNT.

Here we are, hopefully on the precipice of moving out of the Sun Belt, in a thread that lead off with one of the most righteously positive posts I've ever read on GMG, and someone still finds a way to turn all that sunshine into an opportunity to dump on Denton. That's ridiculous. Can't sell out Apogee consistently in its first year? Denton sucks. Students attendance at games isn't what we wanted in Year One? Obviously Denton's fault. Denton high school players go to FCS schools instead of UNT? Totally a product of the community.

I'm a townie. I've lived here most of my life. I work at UNT and I'm an alum. I'm a Mean Green Club member. My dad is a retired professor from UNT. My parents were sponsors for the Geazles many, many years ago, and I grew up with stories about Bill Bishop, Ray Renfro, Hayden Fry, and "the good old days" of Mean Green football when we sent as many guys to the NFL as today's perennial Top 25 schools do today. I put all this out here because I want y'all to understand that I'm not a carpetbagger who doesn't know the lay of the land around here. I know Denton and I know UNT's history with Denton.

What puzzles me about all the beating up on Denton and its residents is that I don't see what y'all are complaining about when you say the town in "ungrateful" and "non-supportive." I say "y'all" because this attitude towards Denton is well-represented on this board. The collective mindset seems to be that every single resident of Denton owes fealty to UNT simply because we're here. That's silly. Considering that UNT does damn near ZERO outreach to the Denton community, we're lucky we get what support we do. Many of y'all seem to think that Denton should be Lawrence, Kansas, a town that bleeds blue and red for hometown KU. I've got news for you: Lawrence isn't Jayhawk territory because KU happens to be there and Lawrence residents "owe" it their loyalty; it's partisan KU territory because KU is engaged in that community in ways where UNT is absent from the Denton community. Lawrence doesn't love the Jayhawks out of necessity; that town loves the Jayhawks because whether it's athletics, academics, or community service, the town and the university are intertwined. Here in Denton, I can draw you a pretty darn accurate demarcation line between Town and Gown with my eyes closed. Not only are we not intertwined, but Denton and UNT have not had the best of relationships. For example, ask any of the small business owners on West Prairie who the University tried to screw a few years ago using eminent domain if they'll hang a green and white flag during home games.

I saw plenty of Denton residents who have no formal connection to UNT in the west stands at Apogee last season. I also saw plenty of my friends who are UNT alums who live in the area in those stands. I saw current staff and retired staff who live in Denton in the stands last year. None of those folks appeared ungrateful or unsupportive to me.

The kicker is that Denton and North Texas can be like Lawrence and KU. This town could be partisan Mean Green territory. It's not going to happen by blaming our past failures on the very people you want buying the merchandise and going crazy on 3rd down in Apogee and hollering in the Super Pit. It's sure as hell not going to happen by calling the business owners you want buying ad space and flying green and white flags ingrates. In general, making blanket statements about ~120,000 people is pretty much the last thing you ought to be doing to change the situation, unless all you want to do is moan about it instead of fixing it.

• Upvote 3

UNT has a lot more in common with Baylor than you think. Same size city but with much small student population.

They receive very little "normal" support from common (non-BU alum) Waco citizens. They are very much a band wagon crowd. However, this year has been nuts. Baylor is putting a lot of effort into engaging the local populous though, specially after this years sports accomplishments. Lots of BU gear being sold at Walmarts and such to the t-shirt supporters. You do get a lot of local, non-partisan fans when a big name school comes to town though.

The other school which I am familiar with, Texas A&M, is a lot differnt. Very few of the common (non-Aggies) B/CS population attends A&M games. The difference there is that you get 30,000 students at each home game. JUST students. You also cannot get a hotel room within 45 miles of BCS on game weekends. There are few, if any, casual non-partisan fans at all. Tickets just cost too much, if you can get them.

When UNT starts winning consistantly, and they will, the locals will show up. We, as in the Mean Green supporters, need to work on the non-football oriented students, I have discovered there are quiet a few of those at UNT. They don't have anything to compare to so just show them that the atmosphere is a lot of fun and they will become avid fans. Several that sit close to me in the parent section have a great time. They ask LOTS of questions.

Converting them to the Mean Green one at a time....