Honest question

emmitt01

I don't think anyone can discount the contributions of Josh White, Tristan Thompson and George Odufuwa. They were cornerstones of a conference title team and one of the winningest trios ever at this school. But where would they fit in on next year's squad if everyone is eligible? Would any/all of themstart or come off of the bench?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If we are talking about the Senior, healthy versions of them, I think all three of them start. Tristan and George certainly, and it would be hard to sit Josh in favor of Chris Jones with just a half year of experience. Could you imagine the open looks that Tristan and Josh would get with George and TM down low? They are lights out shooters, and George and TM would be the best rebounding duo in the entire country.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone can discount the contributions of Josh White, Tristan Thompson and George Odufuwa. They were cornerstones of a conference title team and one of the winningest trios ever at this school. But where would they fit in on next year's squad if everyone is eligible? Would any/all of themstart or come off of the bench?

Very fun question.

My opinion: They'd all be starting given the youth and/or inconsistency of the others they'd be fighting for playing time. If for no other reason, because of how they solve our major issue from last season: outside shooting.

Chris would run point, Josh would be able to play where he was most explosive early in his career at the 2. Tristan would be a starting 3, Odufuwa at the 4, and Tony at the 5. And it would be an absolutely sick lineup that I'm sad we'll never actually get to see. Shots raining down from outside, rebounds getting hoovered up by the dozens whenever the shots weren't getting blocked outright.

I don't think Alzee shoots as well as either Josh or Tristan (and I think the guy is so humble that he'd volunteer it as a fact), and he doesn't quite slash to the basket as well as either. Jordan Williams doesn't shoot from outside as well as Tristan does, at least not yet. Odoh is tall, but he's also raw and new to the team, and JJ doesn't generally throw JUCOs right into the starting 5 (even Tramiel sat behind Howerton for a few games, for crying out loud).

Starting 5:

Chris

Josh

Tristan

Odufuwa

Tony

2nd line:

Alzee

Jordan

Patton

Franklin

Odoh

Our backups would be the second scariest team in the Sun Belt. I also think that team might post one of the best free throw shooting percentages of all time.

Very fun question.

My opinion: They'd all be starting given the youth and/or inconsistency of the others they'd be fighting for playing time. If for no other reason, because of how they solve our major issue from last season: outside shooting.

Chris would run point, Josh would be able to play where he was most explosive early in his career at the 2. Tristan would be a starting 3, Odufuwa at the 4, and Tony at the 5. And it would be an absolutely sick lineup that I'm sad we'll never actually get to see. Shots raining down from outside, rebounds getting hoovered up by the dozens whenever the shots weren't getting blocked outright.

I don't think Alzee shoots as well as either Josh or Tristan (and I think the guy is so humble that he'd volunteer it as a fact), and he doesn't quite slash to the basket as well as either. Jordan Williams doesn't shoot from outside as well as Tristan does, at least not yet. Odoh is tall, but he's also raw and new to the team, and JJ doesn't generally throw JUCOs right into the starting 5 (even Tramiel sat behind Howerton for a few games, for crying out loud).

Starting 5:

Chris

Josh

Tristan

Odufuwa

Tony

2nd line:

Alzee

Jordan

Patton

Franklin

Odoh

Our backups would be the second scariest team in the Sun Belt. I also think that team might post one of the best free throw shooting percentages of all time.

I'll RESPECTFULLY disagree.

Game 1 first team:

PG - Josh

SG - Alzee

Swing - Tristan

PF - George

C - Tony

second team:

PG - CJ

SG - Dom!

Swing - Jordan

PF - Franklin

C - Odoh

IMO, having both Josh and CJ out there at the same time leaves you open to get beat up by very good guard play. You need Alzee's defense out there. I think by the end of the season, you would see Josh's role shrink as CJ gains more and more PT.

And if we're throwing last year's big 3 in, then why not make it 4 and get Dominique back in there as well? Under-rated. And Shorter would be a good defensive guy at the swingman spot too, if you needed that instead of Jordan's offense.

This is a top 25 team. Butler-esque.

Awesome topic Emmitt.