Uniform Talk

untbone05

I don't have a real preference for band uniforms. I'd like to think they have some green, but I'm OK with whatever the band pros think will show off the Green Brigade the best.

What I really would like to see is a dignified summer uniform. A real uniform, not just a t-shirt and mismatching shorts. Marching bands wearing shorts is a new thing. When I was in school, bands marched in their uniforms. Period. It was hot then as well. But times have changed and I understand that.

I would guess that some of our biggest crowds attend during warm months. Therefore, the Green Brigade is viewed as frequently during "t-shirt" performances as "full dressa uniform" performances. Shoes also. Can the band wear their "dress" shoes while wearing shorts ?

Just make a pro sounding band look pro.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

I don't have any problem with the Band calling themselves the "Green Brigade". It's one of the few "constants" about the band, and it remains a very unique moniker. Here is what a Brigade really looks like....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flickr_-_The_U.S._Army_-_Wisconsin_Army_National_Guard.jpg

the standard number is 3200. I can't however find any historical "Green Brigades", so we remain very unique in this area.

I first watched the North Texas band in the mid-60's (homecoming, my HS band was one of the bands invited to participate)and except for the company front that they started out with at the beginning of their show (usually starting from the NW end zone), they never marched military style for the whole show. They DID however march with a lot more energy and SHOWMANSHIP than the current version......Mr. McAdow's standard (and constant) command was "FLOURISH, FLOURISH".

If I ever win the lottery, I will offer to fund a return to the Ohio St-like uni's of the 60's and leave the fashion statements to the designers of the costumes for the dancers. The only update that I would do for these classic uni's would be to put the UNT Alumni NT-star on the uni somewhere. Probably on the chest plate, as well as an arm patch. I would also put the NT-star on the bass drums, and arch over it "NORTH TEXAS" and under it I would put "GREEN BRIGADE".

I would also get rid of that Enron logo that they've been using for some time. North Texas already has a logo. They either represent this University or they don't. AND I would make them drop that DAMN SILLY CAW that they do in the fight song.

I've already addressed my concerns about their pre-game pageantry. Or, more to the point, the lack thereof.

Some of you just knew that I would do some sort of rant, or pseudo-rant, in this thread. Glad I didn't disappoint you. B)

• Upvote 1

Let's remember - this is a volunteer's unit. I was a member of the Brigade in the early '90s when we were nursing the old white 80's uniforms with red accents along. After the down-right badass uniforms from my Highschool, these uniforms at the collegiate level were embarrassing. Kids going through the Highschool marching band ranks are being drilled to be as much like the major drum and bugle corps as possible. Freshmen coming to UNT are going to be excited if the band uniform is as nice as if not nicer than the ones they had in Highschool. These accomplish this mission. ...a return to a dated look of the 60's would be a step back in my opinion. Schools like Texas, Ohio State, even Tech get away with the old-school uniforms because they have been consistent. Since our band's uniform has been updated regularly, to suddenly jerk back 4 decades would look really silly.

Both of these uniforms look great and the band will look fantastic in both.

Regarding the casual uniforms, (T-Shirt and Shorts) I'm with the rest of you. When I was in band, you wore the uniform. You all wore matching Tshirts under your jacket. If it was stifling in the stands, you removed the jacket, but pants and T-shirts created consistency while allowing the members to cool off a bit. ...but when the band is on the field, they should be in uniform.

• Upvote 1

Let's remember - this is a volunteer's unit.

So are just about all the other college bands in the nation. I don't think that I get your point.

a return to a dated look of the 60's would be a step back in my opinion. Schools like Texas, Ohio State, even Tech get away with the old-school uniforms because they have been consistent.

So were we for over a decade. Consistency is greatly lacking in our band program.

Since our band's uniform has been updated regularly, to suddenly jerk back 4 decades would look really silly.

I disagree. A retro look can look just as "updated" if it has some updated logos etc on it. Besides, the band is here to serve the school/alumni as the centerpiece of school spirit,...not as a self indulgent fashion statement.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Downvote 3

I think folks are just used to the black pants or don't want change. I vote for green pants. The more green the better. Both jackets have tips of the hat to SOW. One is or the sleeve cuff. I prefer the sleeve cuff SOW with North Texas on the chest (instead of UNT) to be consistent with the athletic uniforms.

It made me chuckle that "GreenCrazy" said no to green pants.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

I think folks are just used to the black pants or don't want change. I vote for green pants. The more green the better. Both jackets have tips of the hat to SOW. One is or the sleeve cuff. I prefer the sleeve cuff SOW with North Texas on the chest (instead of UNT) to be consistent with the athletic uniforms.

It made me chuckle that "GreenCrazy" said no to green pants.

My opinion is purely based on looks and the green does not look good. The black will contrast the field much better while the green will blend into it. Plus, when the dude turns around wearing the green it looks like he's got a load in his pants.

I would prefer them wear a primarily green uniform, but not those green uniforms.

Edited by Green Crazy

I'm in the minority but I personally believe that the North Texas breastplate is a better choice. I like to be known as North Texas over UNT. Here in Austin, besides the longhorn logo, I see more things that say TEXAS than UT. I think we should consider that our logo and the letters UNT are not recognizable to the bulk of U.S. Americans. I think NORTH TEXAS on the uniform instantly lets them know who we are even if they don't have maps like such as South Africa or the Iraq. This could help our children's future.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

I disagree. A retro look can look just as "updated" if it has some updated logos etc on it. Besides, the band is here to serve the school/alumni as the centerpiece of school spirit,...not as a self indulgent fashion statement.

A Retro look by definition isn't updated. NT's band has always... ALWAYS followed the Drum and Bugle Corps line of thought. ...this is because, largely, we have a far more diverse and talented group of musicians in the band than most other bands, largely due to our Jazz band heritage. In addition, the bulk of the music majors are either going to perform or teach. Those who are going to teach, are going to teach in the High School Ranks where... ...the MODERN Drum and Bugle Corps concept rules and is the way High School Marching bands are run today.

...further, with all due respect, the band is here to serve the School and CURRENT STUDENTS every bit as much (and in my opinion more) than the Alumni as a pillar of school spirit and a focal point of getting CURRENT STUDENTS fired up, and as a result building a desire to come back after they graduate.

I understand a desire for Nostalgia, but in this case, the Green Brigade has been following a certain path and evolution that has been in line with the bulk of the Marching band world for years and years. ...and while we can all be disappointed that this means some of the "traditions" of the 60's got lost as a result. You complain about consistency, yet for the last 15+ years while the exact stitching pattern on the uniform has changed a bit, the programs, the music, the traditions within the band have stayed consistent. If consistency is what you're looking for, you've had it for 20+ years, all during a time while the band has been getting bigger and better. Why promote something that would change that consistency?

The fact is that this band is the biggest and best unit is has been since I've been involved with UNT (including the time that I was a member of the band) and I personally feel this is in large part due to the leadership of Nick Williams and I hope the band stays on the track it has been on though the foreseeable future.

...these kids bust their ass. Since we don't have a traditional uniform like UT or OSt., they should be given modern uniforms that they love and are proud to walk around in. This new uniform accomplishes this mission, and both will look AWESOME on the field.

• Upvote 1

A Retro look by definition isn't updated. NT's band has always... ALWAYS followed the Drum and Bugle Corps line of thought. ...this is because, largely, we have a far more diverse and talented group of musicians in the band than most other bands, largely due to our Jazz band heritage. In addition, the bulk of the music majors are either going to perform or teach. Those who are going to teach, are going to teach in the High School Ranks where... ...the MODERN Drum and Bugle Corps concept rules and is the way High School Marching bands are run today.

...further, with all due respect, the band is here to serve the School and CURRENT STUDENTS every bit as much (and in my opinion more) than the Alumni as a pillar of school spirit and a focal point of getting CURRENT STUDENTS fired up, and as a result building a desire to come back after they graduate.

I understand a desire for Nostalgia, but in this case, the Green Brigade has been following a certain path and evolution that has been in line with the bulk of the Marching band world for years and years. ...and while we can all be disappointed that this means some of the "traditions" of the 60's got lost as a result. You complain about consistency, yet for the last 15+ years while the exact stitching pattern on the uniform has changed a bit, the programs, the music, the traditions within the band have stayed consistent. If consistency is what you're looking for, you've had it for 20+ years, all during a time while the band has been getting bigger and better. Why promote something that would change that consistency?

The fact is that this band is the biggest and best unit is has been since I've been involved with UNT (including the time that I was a member of the band) and I personally feel this is in large part due to the leadership of Nick Williams and I hope the band stays on the track it has been on though the foreseeable future.

...these kids bust their ass. Since we don't have a traditional uniform like UT or OSt., they should be given modern uniforms that they love and are proud to walk around in. This new uniform accomplishes this mission, and both will look AWESOME on the field.

With all due respect to you and all GB alums, the band may be getting bigger, but it's certainly not really getting any better. And it hasn't for some time. It's larger size seems to have made it more unwieldy than anything else. It has no energy when it enters the field. Both for pre-game and for half-time. THAT is what gets the students and alumni pumped up and into the game. It's the same old 50 yard mosey, both on and off the field.

Now, when they plant their feet and put their instruments to their collective mouths, the Green Brigade is pretty much without peer. But being musically superior is only part of SHOWMANSHIP AND PAGEANTRY. The Green Brigade doesn't start things off with a POW! They mosey onto the field and eventually get around to a somewhat muted POW. By then, only the friends and family of the band members are still paying much attention.

You say the Green Brigade has evolved since the 60's-early-70's, but I say that as a TRUE SHOW PIECE FOR THE UNIVERSITY they have somewhat devolved. The only improved aspect of the GB performance, post McAdow, was the development of the drumline. In the 80's they used to win national competitions AND regularly perform with the Band. Now that doesn't happen any longer.

The North Texas band of the 60's/early 70's didn't concern itself with fashion statements. They let their music and showmanship make their statement.

And if people mainly volunteer to be in the GB because of the unique uni's, then I say the the GB needs to be smaller.

I say back to the Unis of the 60's (with updates) and get back to REAL SHOWMANSHIP.

FLOURISH! FLOURISH!

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

With all due respect to you and all GB alums, the band may be getting bigger, but it's certainly not really getting any better. And it hasn't for some time. It's larger size seems to have made it more unwieldy than anything else. It has no energy when it enters the field. Both for pre-game and for half-time. THAT is what gets the students and alumni pumped up and into the game. It's the same old 50 yard mosey, both on and off the field.

Now, when they plant their feet and put their instruments to their collective mouths, the Green Brigade is pretty much without peer. But being musically superior is only part of SHOWMANSHIP AND PAGEANTRY. The Green Brigade doesn't start things off with a POW! They mosey onto the field and eventually get around to a somewhat muted POW. By then, only the friends and family of the band members are still paying much attention.

You say the Green Brigade has evolved since the 60's-early-70's, but I say that as a TRUE SHOW PIECE FOR THE UNIVERSITY they have somewhat devolved. The only improved aspect of the GB performance, post McAdow, was the development of the drumline. In the 80's they used to win national competitions AND regularly perform with the Band. Now that doesn't happen any longer.

The North Texas band of the 60's/early 70's didn't concern itself with fashion statements. They let their music and showmanship make their statement.

And if people mainly volunteer to be in the GB because of the unique uni's, then I say the the GB needs to be smaller.

I say back to the Unis of the 60's (with updates) and get back to REAL SHOWMANSHIP.

FLOURISH! FLOURISH!

I love when any GB thread devolves into SilverEagle talking about the good old day (BTW, if you read the last post as Nathan Lane in the Birdcage, the post is way harder to argue with).

I have to agree with the majority. As a former member of the GBin the early 2000's... Nick Williams is a the reason why they band is so larger and improved

• Upvote 1

I like the band uni at the very top of this thread with "North Texas" spelled out at the top of the uniform, but

does the shade of green on those band unis' match the green on our football unis or is that just not the cool

thing to do on campus anymore?

I wish our football unis had "North Texas" at the top of the jerseys and would still go with SOW on the helmet.

A Hint To UNT Branding Decision-Makers: Find something and just leave it alone for the next 20 or so years.

We change football uni's almost every time we get a new football coach or AD. We have to stop doing that. They

are usually "NOT" graduates of our alma mater and IMO should not be the ones defining who we are. Is it in their job

descriptions that they have to come up with designs and logos? Doubtful...

Look at al the established NCAA FBS schools who have had the same helmet for decades. We are the only

NCAA FBS school with green as our primary school color and who have eagle as a mascot. Put an eagle on the helmet

and just let it be.

Branding is not rocket science unless you keep changing it dramatically (and not just a mere tweet) to meet the whims of

a handful on campus who have this sudden, creative brain fart and then because of that we have to live with what they

come up with for what has in the past been way too long. Just sayin'....

GMG!

PS: MIght not change anything with the football unis' this year but might do a make-over in 2013 "IF" we happen to be in a new conference. Just sayin' one more time...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, then its probably a good thing you're not running the band! LOL! I'm sure the Bleacher's "Best Damn Band in the Land" ranking of #1 over such bands with a Retro Look such as Ohio State and Texas. ...but I'm sure they are wrong and would have ranked the band of the 60's even higher.

Even non-interested outsiders say this is one of the best bands in the country. It may not be exactly as you remember it when you were a Student here, but the band is clearly great and has been recognized as such.

I'm with you a bit regarding the pre game. It certainly could hit harder than it does. ...and I prefer bands that come out to the field to a chant and a bad-ass drum cadence, rather than a single snap-beat, but changing back to uniforms of 50 years ago... ain't going to change the pre-game.

See, this is painful. This is the uniform I wore. Most obvious color on these uniforms was red... ...during a time where Blue and Gold were acceptable accent colors for our logos. These were dated looking in the 90's. Imagine what a 60's uniform would look like in the 2010's. Ugh.

1992 Green Brigade

Edited by yyz28

See, this is painful. This is the uniform I wore. Most obvious color on these uniforms was red... ...during a time where Blue and Gold were acceptable accent colors for our logos. These were dated looking in the 90's. Imagine what a 60's uniform would look like in the 2010's. Ugh.

1992 Green Brigade

Yep, those had to be the ugliest uni's of all time at NT.

These look absolutely great by comparison.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61034/m1/143/?q=marching%20band

And if the band is making an entrance like this....

....then I would submit that there isn't anyone looking at the uni's.......nor should they.

• Downvote 2

Yep, those had to be the ugliest uni's of all time at NT.

These look absolutely great by comparison.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61034/m1/143/?q=marching%20band

And if the band is making an entrance like this....

....then I would submit that there isn't anyone looking at the uni's.......nor should they.

Would be awesome. But it would look ridiculous in our khaki cargo shorts.

Well, to me, the first uniform (with the Large North Texas breastplate) IS a modern interpretation of this uniform, unless you're hung up on white being the main color, compete with the shoulder details and detail on the sleeves. ...but, no capes. HATE capes. ..and no fuzzy hats.

...and clearly, no NTSU logos. ;)

Would be awesome. But it would look ridiculous in our khaki cargo shorts.

Hmmm, I have to agree with you on that one.

Besides the uni's being basically the same as our 60's uni's, I noticed that the Ohio St. band (as a show of sportsmanship) played the Michigan fight song (The Victors) as part of their pre-game show. The North Texas band of my youth used to do the same thing. I was very impressed, as I thought it was a real show of class.

Hmmm, I have to agree with you on that one.

Besides the uni's being basically the same as our 60's uni's, I noticed that the Ohio St. band (as a show of sportsmanship) played the Michigan fight song (The Victors) as part of their pre-game show. The North Texas band of my youth used to do the same thing. I was very impressed, as I thought it was a real show of class.

That's something I could get on board for no problem! That would be pretty cool.