Apathetic students aren't restricted to UNT

The fact that the student section have chairbacks is the problem.

Its too easy for students to just sit back and watch rather than participate.

Plus when you have all the kids sitting behind you, you refrain from wanting to stand up because it will block the others behind them.

If/When we get a new Super Pit or renovation, I hope we just have a dedicated student section with bleachers.

I think many schools are going thru a bit of this right now. I've read multiple school's message boards where people call out the students for lack of passion and/or attendance.

Part of that has always happened. I think alumni have been complaining about students the day after the first person graduated. Alumni/students are always complaining about each other.

However, I think we are seeing a shift in young people attending games. I've read stories about SEC schools having issues with getting kids go to football games. A lot of times, kids would rather be drinking with friends and watching game on TV or internet. Personally, I'd rather be at the game (esp. for college).

My guess is attendance for sporting events will start to decline. Even the NFL had multiple markets where attendance was an issue this year. The in home experience is just too good.

At Duke, this problem is actually a good thing (at least short term). They can turn around and sell the tickets as general admin and make more money.

• Upvote 1

The 5,000+ at the Super Pit last night might disagree with the dipping attendance numbers this year. It's for sure the most people I've seen in the Super Pit in my 4-5 years.

When I started following the team seven years ago, my friends and I would show up five minutes before tipoff and get front row seats in the student section.

Attendance is light years ahead of where we were then. We should be proud of what we've built and look forward to where the program is heading.

• Upvote 1

For fans of Duke and the big schools in general where you can probably watch it on TV most of the time...it surely is great sitting in the comfort of your couch wearing your underwear and watching it on an hd big screen TV. I think that could also contribute to lowering attendance.

You don't wear underwear when you go to the games?

• Upvote 1