A Whole New Era - DRC

Harry

RV said multiple times that 6 home games would be the standard. It's sad enough this would even have to be said because it should go without saying. Really shows how small time UNT has been in its past.

Bingo. I think I am most shocked that we are in this position in the first place. 3 away OOC games in the same year should never have even been scheduled in the first place. When fans are writing this off as not a big deal is even more evidence that we have a small time attitude.

NT should accept NO LESS than 6 home games, and stick to it no matter what. That's why it is a standard. The buyout for the LSU game cannot be that high for NT, and I guarantee the money is sitting around somewhere. But I forgot how great the ass kicking will be for the good of the program, because hey, we have to play these games to be able to recruit... :huh:

EDIT: For the record, I'm still holding out hope that we will manage to get a 6th home game next year.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

If you donated tens of thousands of $, then I am sure RV will return your call if you called him directly. Or you can just continue to vent and speculate on a message board until he calls you.

Right, because here at UNT, you have to call the AD to get answers to basic questions? Is that how it is suppose to work?

That is some really small time thinking.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Going back to the article on which this thread is premised, I agree with the article the new stadium is the start of a whole new era for NT. It has generated more interest including interest overall, it will help recruiting and it is already generating more donations overall to the program. All of these things are positives. There is a potential negative IF we only have five home games next year, but suggesting that having only five home games is a total failure or or will otherwise eliminate all of the positives is beyond hyperbole.

It's the standard "end of the year wrap up article by a beat writer" and for a change there is something positive for him to write about.

Next year's schedule has not been announced yet.

Get a grip, people!

I agree with you, there is no need to go into panic mode until the schedule is released. But, by then it is too late to have any opinion about it. Since there is no information out there to indicate a 6th game being added, and no information out there to dispute that Texas Southern being the only OOC home game, plus a qoute by RV to Vito saying in effect there are no changes to this schedule, and there is no other comment from the AD, I think it should be PUBLICLY discussed.

I posted how I felt, and, quid frankly, was surprised that anyone defended this lack of a schedule.

Edited by UNT90

I do not ever recall being promised a 6-game home schedule for every year in the future.

6 home games has been the standard since at least 2008. We also were not told there would be less than 6. People are going to scream bloody murder if they charge the same for 5 games as they did for 6. Whoever doesn't understand this is just naive.

I don't care about excuses, or 2 for 1s, or how hard scheduling is at UNT.

Just fix the damn problem.

6 home games has been the standard since at least 2008. We also were not told there would be less than 6. People are going to scream bloody murder if they charge the same for 5 games as they did for 6. Whoever doesn't understand this is just naive.

I don't care about excuses, or 2 for 1s, or how hard scheduling is at UNT.

Just fix the damn problem.

The price would not be the same for a 5 game season as a six game season. Whoever doesn't understand that just doesn't understand basic math.

And, saying that 6 games is the standard is not promising a 6 game schedule each and every year. While we would all like to see a 6 game home schedule each and every year, and while RV is trying to make that the standard, it is possible that we will not see it each and every year in order to get future accommodating schedules, etc. This could all be for naught if UNT finds a new conference with enough teams.

It is in every one's best interest to have a six game home schedule. Why anyone would think RV is not working on just this issue is certainly naive or just looking to find something else to complain about since it is the off season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Question for the flipping-outers:

When did we find out that the UH game was going to be moved last year? If it was before January 3rd, 2011, then feel free to continue flipping-out. If it was after that, Chill!

It's really too early in the offseason for this kind of reaction, IMHO.

The earliest reference I can find is March 1, 2011, when the full schedule was released. But if I'm not mistaken, I believe (and the MGS article indicates) that the Houston game was announced before the full schedule.

Yes, it's early, and everything may end up being fine, but the point is, IF we have one OOC home game, that is unacceptable. Arguments ensued when others tried to justify or make excuses for having just 5 home games.

I believe the difference between this year and last is the fact that we already have a full commitment of OOC games, where last year we only had 3 at this point (until we scheduled Houston).

MGS article

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The price would not be the same for a 5 game season as a six game season. Whoever doesn't understand that just doesn't understand basic math.

And, saying that 6 games is the standard is not promising a 6 game schedule each and every year. While we would all like to see a 6 game home schedule each and every year, and while RV is trying to make that the standard, it is possible that we will not see it each and every year in order to get future accommodating schedules, etc. This could all be for naught if UNT finds a new conference with enough teams.

It is in every one's best interest to have a six game home schedule. Why anyone would think RV is not working on just this issue is certainly naive or just looking to find something else to complain about since it is the off season.

With renewals coming up, it sure would be beneficial if it was communicated to MGC members that it is being worked on. That's my point. You and I don't know whether it is or isn't. It sure would help to know.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

"The $79 million venue had a huge economic impact on the region while it was under construction and will allow UNT to bring in higher-profile nonconference opponents. The Mean Green played host to both Indiana and Houston in the stadium’s debut campaign."

How true. Can't wait for that OOC opener against Texas Southern next season. <_<

LSU fans probably feel the same way about opening with us 2012, but the game will be a sell out because their fans come to see the Tigers play, not WHO the Tigers play.

• Upvote 2

I do not ever recall being promised a 6-game home schedule for every year in the future.

Well at your age you tend to forget things & not be able to hear as well :P i kid i kid

Like I said earlier , I'm sure we are waiting on the Houston situation to see what our options are and I'm sure RV has already been in contact with a number of teams about coming here next season.

If not , I think it's a dissappointment. You don't ask students to pass a fee , MGC members to pledge thousands of $ for club level seats and build a awesome mutli million dollar stadium to use it only 5 times a year vs some of the worst teams in all of college football.

Let's just wait and see what happens (hopefully not too long because some of us have to plan vacations far in advance)

Isn't this great , only 2 days into the new year and this board is already in meltdown! Can't wait to see what the HOT topic is for next week!!

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

Even if it wasn't promised a 6 game home schedule is the common sense thing to do in my personal opinion.

Well, for one of the few times ever I agree with you it seems. The "challenge" I have with some folks is that they "assume" that RV and his staff do not want the same thing and are not working on just that. A six game home schedule should, indeed, be the standard for ANY D-1 team, and i would be surprised if UNT wasn't looking to accomplish just that in all future years.

The idea or belief that it was promised is simply wrong. The idea/thought that RV would not want the same thing is just plain ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

Well, for one of the few times ever I agree with you it seems. The "challenge" I have with some folks is that they "assume" that RV and his staff do not want the same thing and are not working on just that. A six game home schedule should, indeed, be the standard for ANY D-1 team, and i would be surprised if UNT wasn't looking to accomplish just that in all future years.

The idea or belief that it was promised is simply wrong. The idea/thought that RV would not want the same thing is just plain ridiculous.

I don't think anyone believes our AD doesn't want 6 home games. I'm just upset that they even let it come to the current situation. When RV says the standard will be six home games and it isn't accomplished I think any fan has the right to be furious. As many have posted earlier, it seems that other non-AQ schools don't have any trouble getting at least one high profile home game in OOC, but UNT only plays Texas Southern and puts itself through a buzzsaw on the road.

• Upvote 1

Let us get Texas Tech or A&M like SMU has done.

A&M never played at SMU, just at Kyle Field. They bought out the return game in Dallas. However, Tech was a regular with SMU for transfere a while as a home and home.

As far as the 5 game home schedule, I would be just fine with it if the home OOC game was a strong opponent (either an AQ school or a team like Boise, BYU or AFA). But having your only home OOC game being against a bad FCS team in Texas Southern, who probably won't bring anyone to Denton--unlike Sam Houston, who will probably win the FCS title this weekend and will have some great momentum to play off of in 2012--just stinks, especially when you also offer the fans a great selection of home games from the well-thought-of SBC. Again, if we average 15k next season in attendance, I will be thrilled. You aren't going to get folks to pay time and money for home games against, Texas Southern, South Alabama, Troy, Louisiana-Lafayette, and Arkansas State. Look at this year, even with a bowl possibility still in play, a Saturday night game against Western Kentucky drew nothing. Its doubtful that this upcoming year will be much different, attendance-wise. And that is why UNT90 is dead-on about this--if this is our 2012 schedule, the AD better have a very good explanantion and it better mean 2013 bring us a nice home schedule.

• Upvote 1