Tulsa fans talking realignment

Harry

Thoughts on Conference affiliation Reply

With the departure of SMU, UCF, and Houston the future of CUSA and TU has been spinning around in my mind. I think the current CUSA has been a good fit for TU, but that has been torn apart. This alliance with the MW is intriguing, but the idea of being in another bi-coastal mega conference seems like something that was tried before and proved to be less than successful. The other factor is that I don't trust Memphis and East Carolina to honor any commitment they may make to the new alliance. They both could be gone in a heartbeat. I would propose that it would be in TU's interest to try to form a new Mountain West of 12 teams in 2 divisions as was the CUSA model.

West Division

Hawaii

Nevada

Fresno State

UNLV

UTEP

New Mexico

East Division

Colorado State

Wyoming

Air Force

Southern Miss

Tulsa

North Texas

As much as I respect Rice as an institution, I think that North Texas has made a stronger commitment to athletics and given a stronger conference would raise their competitive level. Rice and Tulane both really struggle to put fans in the stands. North Texas would also be a potential rival for TU that would be a tank of gas away.

This conference makes sense geographically and provides great competitive balance in both divisions. The alliance made sense before the latest round of defections, but do we really want to be in a league with teams scattered from Hawaii to North Carolina? I also would like to leave playing in nearly empty cavernous stadiums in New Orleans, Birmingham, and Houston behind.

Any thoughts?

We need a bigger boat!

Posted on 12/9 1:40 AM | IP: Logged

Read more: http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1774&tid=150763639&mid=150763639&sid=1115&style=2

Thoughts on Conference affiliation Reply

With the departure of SMU, UCF, and Houston the future of CUSA and TU has been spinning around in my mind. I think the current CUSA has been a good fit for TU, but that has been torn apart. This alliance with the MW is intriguing, but the idea of being in another bi-coastal mega conference seems like something that was tried before and proved to be less than successful. The other factor is that I don't trust Memphis and East Carolina to honor any commitment they may make to the new alliance. They both could be gone in a heartbeat. I would propose that it would be in TU's interest to try to form a new Mountain West of 12 teams in 2 divisions as was the CUSA model.

West Division

Hawaii

Nevada

Fresno State

UNLV

UTEP

New Mexico

East Division

Colorado State

Wyoming

Air Force

Southern Miss

Tulsa

North Texas

As much as I respect Rice as an institution, I think that North Texas has made a stronger commitment to athletics and given a stronger conference would raise their competitive level. Rice and Tulane both really struggle to put fans in the stands. North Texas would also be a potential rival for TU that would be a tank of gas away.

This conference makes sense geographically and provides great competitive balance in both divisions. The alliance made sense before the latest round of defections, but do we really want to be in a league with teams scattered from Hawaii to North Carolina? I also would like to leave playing in nearly empty cavernous stadiums in New Orleans, Birmingham, and Houston behind.

Any thoughts?----------------------------I LIKE THIS---MAN I HOPE SOMETHING LIKE THIS TAKES PLACE

We need a bigger boat!

Posted on 12/9 1:40 AM | IP: Logged

Read more: http://tulsa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1774&tid=150763639&mid=150763639&sid=1115&style=2

I truly believe the conditions are ripe for a brand new league to emerge and I would push like heck to be a part of it. This league would be made up of institutions who most likely are not going to be cherry picked by the BE or B12. Most importantly a league of institutions who want to be together, have some history and want all sports to play each other. Some might say, that is what we have in the SBC right now. Agree to a point, but I want more natural rivals, name institutions and elevated programs. UNM stinks in football, but they have a great basketball program. UTEP has average programs but a rich history in basketball. They are also another state of Texas program (Troy is probably as close but Troy is not Texas). Tulsa is close and has a nice history. There is something I just don't trust about the mega league and since none of these programs are going to receive BCS money it is time to get creative, committed and build a league that can thrive for 10 years - ala MWC. The MWC and CUSA are going to take some perception hits and be known as the decimated leagues. It might be time to rebrand and rebuild.

GMG

• Upvote 3

I like the heck out of this suggestion. Where's the "Airport Six" to make it happen?

If the group didn't want to go east of Texas/Oklahoma then I'd be willing to swap Southern Miss for Rice. As the poster said, "Rice is a fine institution" and while their days have faded, the Houston market would be a plus for the TV contract.

CUSA would survive but they could strip the Sun Belt of its best teams and definitely finish the WAC for football.

Just one stipulation...none of this "football only" garbage. I'd hope that would even include Hawaii. There might need to be some negotiations whereby no mainland team has to travel there more than once every four years in the non-revenue sports but let's have this an all-sports conference.

• Upvote 1

If Rice were substituted for Southern Miss this would be the TV markets and their rank:

North Texas - DFW - #5

Rice - Houston - #10

Colorado State - Denver - #17

UNLV - Las Vegas - #40

New Mexico - Albuquerque - #45

Fresno State - Fresno - #55

Tulsa - Tulsa - #59

Hawaii - Honolulu - #71

Air Force - Colorado Springs - #90

UTEP - El Paso - #91

Nevada - Reno - #108

Wyoming - Cheyenne - #195

That's a lot of TV households. Conference should remain stable with only Air Force on any higher conference's want list. Attendance should average in the lower 30s. All stadiums seat at least 30,000. All have athletic budgets above $20M. Should be the top nonAQ conference.

• Upvote 1