Where was boomer?

EagleGreen

I just love it when folks tell "other people" what they should and should not do when they have no information regarding the situation, the process involved or the need for volunteers...perhaps those who feel the need to criticize should volunteer to man Boomer the next time it pours down and make sure that it all goes the way they think it should. I am fairly certain that your volunteer help would be fairly well received. Then you could acquire the tent, put up that tent, take care of it and Boomer before and during the game and then dry and clean Boomer properly after the game. Shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours of your time.

The Talons probably aren't too hard to get in touch with. Sounds like some here know exactly how it SHOULD have been handled. I look forward to seeing how well you do that next season.

I agree with Silver and his "traditions" mantra. Maybe some traditions just need a bit more volunteers to make sure they are handled properly.

I couldn't agree more. Especially since some of us who are Talons alumni have attempted to reach out to the current crop and offer up help when/if it was needed...and were met with deafening silence.

Look, Boomer not being there yesterday is just a microcosm of the overall issue. The pathetic shape that the model A was found in to start this season, the fact that a proper home wasn't found for Boomer BEFORE Apogge was built (this isn't all Talons fault),the fact that FFRick has to do maintenance on the cannon virtually every year, etc. etc. etc.

Forgive me for my ignorance or perhaps stupidity but what does or black powder and rain/water do?

Turns to a sticky paste that will not go "boom" Doesn't even have to be rain water.. high humidity ,like last night, will do the trick too. There is no sin in not firing Boomer last night..not unsafe by any means... just a lot that could have gone wrong that would cause Rick or whoever else takes care of the gun a long night cleaning up the mess. Boomer going off in Apogee is freaking nuts... even better than ATM's gun!

Edited by Voice of Reason

Turns to a sticky paste that will not go "boom" Doesn't even have to be rain water.. high humidity ,like last night, will do the trick too. There is no sin in not firing Boomer last night..not unsafe by any means... just a lot that could have gone wrong that would cause Rick or whoever else takes care of the gun a long night cleaning up the mess. Boomer going off in Apogee is freaking nuts... even better than ATM's gun!

True about mixing water and gunpowder. But that doesn't happen when proper procedures are followed when firing muzzleloaders in rain soaked conditions, especially Boomer.

I never minded the clean up after rain games. But that is just me. The way I always saw it, it was a privilege and an honor to be on cannon crew and to serve the university in that capacity,, plus I got one of the best seats in the house at every home game. I understood with that privilege comes a minimum of additional work after each game that others were not required to do before getting on to the after game events.

And I couldn't agree more about Boomer and Apogee. Those who were there the first testing day all heard it for the first time would all agree too. I think the two go together very well.

Rick

• Upvote 2