The Big East Ready To Expand (SMU Primary Target)

Harry

According to sources familiar with the process, but not authorized to talk about any negotiations, the Big East is focusing on two areas, with SMU, Central Florida ,Navy and Temple as the primary schools being looked at. Air Force is also being considered, but that seems more remote of a possibility

In football, the focus was on getting to at least 10 teams. A two-tier plan of attack has been implemented with one area focusing on schools that would join the conference in football only which has included conversations with Navy, Air Force and Temple. With the departure of Syracuse and Pittsburgh, the Big East will have shrunk to 6 teams, with TCU scheduled to join the Big East as a member in all sports next fall.

Adding SMU, which would be a travel partner for TCU, and Central Florida would increase the total to nine teams and Temple becomes a strong option if Navy chooses to remain as an independent in football. Another possibility would be to add Villanova, which is already a member of the Big East in all other sports, as the 10th member if the Villanova administration decides to make the jump from the FCS to the FBS level.

The combination of all those moves should stabilize the football conference which would guarantee the conference maintaining its lucrative automatic BCS berth BCS berths are guaranteed to the conferences based on overall performance over a designated period of time. As long as the Big East remains intact, its bid can not be taken away by any change in the configuration of the conference.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2011/10/_a_day_after_ho.html

My last post here was about how we're so far down the pecking order for possible Big East candidates. I guess that's not the case after all. This could be good for you guys too. If somehow we leave, C-USA will still want their Metroplex in play.

A little of course, but what is the word on Beasley? Still hurt, if so, how long?

• Upvote 1

My my aren't we satisfied with the leftovers. Does anyone else realize that, even if we were to replace SMU in CUSA, we'd be the only non AQ team amongst the metroplex teams? You think we get little coverage now...

You are probably right, but at least we'd be in a conference where we consistently play against other teams located in Texas. More bowl tie-ins. And we'd still have regional rivals located outside the state like Tulsa and Tulane. However, I don't want to get carried away with UNT-CUSA talk. I'd rather, at this time, beat the teams in the Sun Belt and play the best football we can.

• Upvote 2

My my aren't we satisfied with the leftovers. Does anyone else realize that, even if we were to replace SMU in CUSA, we'd be the only non AQ team amongst the metroplex teams? You think we get little coverage now...

That very thought just crossed my mind, Emmitt.

We somehow must become the next Boise "BCS Bowl Buster" State kind of football program if even that part of future changes in the NCAA stays in tact. Think of all the ACQ lower division schools that have not come close to what the Broncos of BSU have been doing the last 15 years. In fact, all future NT recruits would need to know that is now our goal; if it in deed that objective becomes our stated goal.

Yet... one needs a score card to keep up with what the presidents and the Big 6 Conference commissioners are up to. Wonder what part of NCAA football they just don't see working as it is?

All of this is giving me vertigo.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The post below (Lots of smoke...) is from UH's www.CoogFans.com and presents an interesting scenario. If what NWCougar posts comes to fruition. Who will be left in CUSA?:blink:

Re: Lots of smoke on SMOO to the Big East

Based on what I've read, which probably doesn't mean squat, the Big 12 was looking at TCU. Now, if the BE takes SMU and UCF, and not UH then I think we'll see a UH join the MWC along with Tulsa and possibly UTEP and USM. Perhaps the merger that was rumored?

Man, as much as I'd hate to see SMU over UH it almost makes sense that most of the private basketball schools with religious affiliations would want SMU over UH.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This! No offense to the decent SMU posters on here, but I'd hate for it to be official that SMUt has passed us by.

• Upvote 1

SMU deserves nothing better than the Lone star Conference. What in the world have they done to deserve this? Crappy football until last year, crappy basketball, no baseball, no attendance, small enrollment and nobody outside of their campus really cares about them. It drives me crazy.

• Upvote 1

SMU deserves nothing better than the Lone star Conference. What in the world have they done to deserve this? Crappy football until last year, crappy basketball, no baseball, no attendance, small enrollment and nobody outside of their campus really cares about them. It drives me crazy.

It is all politics.....that is how Baylor entered the Big 12. With all the shake ups CUSA may end up with teams from the SBC which were part of the SLC at one time. As much as NT tries to run from the old 1-AA SLC schools NT just can not get away from them. Politics and money. NT has neither. Just part of the "Poor Sister's Club."

Wait, are you talking about SMU? It almost sounds like you're describing NT. Does NT need to be in the Lone Star conference?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3