FYI: scrimmage happening right now!

michagb

Glad they get to see it. Hopefully it gets them interested in coming to the games and supporting athletics. We aren't the ones they need to win over. Most of us here are pretty much pot committed, but then again most of us here should just be committed.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1

I was there with a few coworkers. The turnout was dismal to say the least....maybe 100-150 staff at the very most. I did get there a little late so maybe some came early and left early. Anyway, the scrimmage was a nice surprise. Aaron Power is a beast!

P.S.

What is the point of hiking a nerf ball but having the quarterback start out with the regular football in his hands?

I was there with a few coworkers. The turnout was dismal to say the least....maybe 100-150 staff at the very most. I did get there a little late so maybe some came early and left early. Anyway, the scrimmage was a nice surprise. Aaron Power is a beast!

P.S.

What is the point of hiking a nerf ball but having the quarterback start out with the regular football in his hands?

Gabe, I, too attended, and i would agree that the turnout was not great, but remember, the crowd was very spread out over the complex and up in the Club level (where the A/C was) and not all faculty/staff enjoy watching a workout session like we do.

BTW...Coach Mac called it something like a "Mock Game" not a "Scrimmage" as such.

The faculty/staff also had several other events around campus at the same time, so that was always going to be a bit of a challenge getting a large crowd. But, I did hear a lot of positive comments about the stadium...especially how nice it was and how wonderful the Club Seating area looked.

Like you...I wondered about that nerf ball thing. Interesting. Maybe it was for the refs use in determining off-sides, false starts.

Gabe, I, too attended, and i would agree that the turnout was not great, but remember, the crowd was very spread out over the complex and up in the Club level (where the A/C was) and not all faculty/staff enjoy watching a workout session like we do.

BTW...Coach Mac called it something like a "Mock Game" not a "Scrimmage" as such.

The faculty/staff also had several other events around campus at the same time, so that was always going to be a bit of a challenge getting a large crowd. But, I did hear a lot of positive comments about the stadium...especially how nice it was and how wonderful the Club Seating area looked.

Like you...I wondered about that nerf ball thing. Interesting. Maybe it was for the refs use in determining off-sides, false starts.

How you getting to all these events Kram? Do you have a cot set up over that the Alumni Pavillion building? :D

I suppose you're right, I still thought there would be more people...I mean hey, free hot dogs!

One thing I did notice from the "mock game" is that the whole thing seemed to be very fast pace and intense. Players were always in a hurry to lineup and the coaches were always screaming at them. There was no walking on and off the field. Good stuff.

I suppose you're right, I still thought there would be more people...I mean hey, free hot dogs!

One thing I did notice from the "mock game" is that the whole thing seemed to be very fast pace and intense. Players were always in a hurry to lineup and the coaches were always screaming at them. There was no walking on and off the field. Good stuff.

I'm sad I didnt run in to you at the event!

This is good to hear. Any other observations you made? Differences from last year? Stand out players? I need some information to carry me the next 6 days...

I'm sad I didnt run in to you at the event!

Yeah I figured I would run into you there. I didn't get there until 5:45 so maybe you left by then.

This is good to hear. Any other observations you made? Differences from last year? Stand out players? I need some information to carry me the next 6 days...

Hah..hmm let me think.. and keep in mind I didn't see every down since this was my first trip to the new stadium and I was still in awe.

Positives:

• I didn't see a single bad pass from Derek Thompson. The coaches gave fairly equal playing time to each quarterback, but I am confident to say that Thompson is still the clear starter. He looked the most comfortable in the pocket, and knew when it was time to scramble.

• Lance Dunbar was impressive as always. The few plays I saw him run he managed to find a hole and get a good chunk of yards. The backup running backs seemed to get more playing time, but they all frequently were stopped behind the line. Hopefully thats a sign of good defense?

• Saw some interesting trick plays :ph34r:

• As I said before, Andrew Power is a beast...he looks like he should be playing on Sundays.

• Lastly, Dan McCarney is very hands on. He was always running around on the field yelling at someone. He's got a lot of fire in his belly and it's great to see a coach that looks like he actually cares (I can see why he and Mike Canales are a good fit).

Negatives:

• Out of four or five field goal attempts I saw, I don't think we made a single one of them...even relatively short kicks. :angry:

Edited by GabeGMG
  • Upvote 1

Anytime I've been a part of a practice where the nerf ball thing was used it was a scout team situation where they are just trying to give the defense a good look without having to stop down for bad snaps. By doing this, the D-line gets to see a ball being snapped so they can time their jumps and whoever is running scout team QB doesn't have to worry about catching the snap. Not sure what the situation was at the "scrimmage" thats just my personal experience.

• Upvote 1