Video from tonight's event at Apogee Stadium

Brett Vito

I ended up taking one of my sons last night. He's just over 2. He loved seeing the band, especially the drum line. Quotes from him below.

"Look daddy, there's the football stadium. Eagle!"

"Scrappy is my friend daddy."

"I am going to hug scrappy."

"Scrappy. He's cool daddy."

"Wow."

Greatness.

JRock

• Upvote 4

I ended up taking one of my sons last night. He's just over 2. He loved seeing the band, especially the drum line. Quotes from him below.

"Look daddy, there's the football stadium. Eagle!"

"Scrappy is my friend daddy."

"I am going to hug scrappy."

"Scrappy. He's cool daddy."

"Wow."

Greatness.

You are talking about making memories here JRock. Nothing...absolutely nothing...like having a son or daughter enjoy an outing with Dad (and/or Mom). This post put a great big smile on my face. Enjoy these years JRock...they will fly by and you will miss them dearly in a few years. Greatness indeed. Priceless also come to mind. Made my day.

JRock

This is correct. They added the caw a couple seasons ago after U---N---T-----Eagles (caw! And put up the claw)

So, as idiotic as it sounds, "CAW" just won't go away huh? :no:

Why the hell does anything have to be said past EAGLES? Why isn't chanting U-N-T...EAGLES!!!! and brandishing our mascot's main weapon "THE CLAW" not sufficient?

Gezzz Louise. <_<

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why the hell does anything have to be said past EAGLES? Why isn't chanting U-N-T...EAGLES!!!! and brandishing our mascot's main weapon "THE CLAW" not sufficient?

Gezzz Louise. <_<

The "CAW" is the dumbest thing anyone could of thought up. Jeez.

JRock

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Gezzz Louise. <_<

No kidding. When was the last time an Eagle screamed "CAW"? Just sayin.

JRock

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gezzz Louise. <_<

Jesus, we want spirit and traditions... and then bitch when students want to be spirited and create new traditions.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

On Facebook I saw a lot of students complain that they had to either walk or drive over to the stadium.

Just another one of those things that would be fixed by winning.

Relly? Really? Have we gotten that lazy? You can't walk, or drive a few blocks? Maybe if you don't live in the city, sure you might miss an event like this. It just amazes me.

Seriously?

Somewhat serious. I know, they should come here and automatically feel the need to come out to all things Mean Green. My point is 20 years ago, kids thought nothing of the heat. Video games cured that, so the walk while not a big deal to you and I, is to them. Most on campus last night were freshmen, and many don't have cars. The hotels close to me (Hampton, Homewood, Holiday Inn, etc) were packed with parents bringing their kids to town. So the shuttle would communicate the seriousness of an event like this, especially to our newest potential student supporters. And student supporters continue to support after they are gone. I know its a cost, but I think you have to look at it over the long haul so to speak.

• Upvote 1

Jesus, we want spirit and traditions... and then bitch when students want to be spirited and create new traditions.

I've bitched about our lack of spirit traditions for years....mainly the lack of a North Texas yell that everyone can easily participate in. However, I draw the line at students trying to create idiotic ones.

Forgodsakes, even the old pre-20's yell..

boom-a-lacka-boom-a-lacka, Bow wow wow

ching-a-lacka-ching-a-lacka-chow chow chow

boom-a-lacka-ching-a-lacka, who are we?

we are the students of TNC!

...would be better than CAW!

(BTW, here it is in the 1914 Yucca.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60982/m1/7/?q=boom%20a%20lacka)

CAW!?!? forgodsakes? you give them props for THAT?

I really respect you Flyer, but you need to stick to stadium building....... B)

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

:) Thanks Kram! I loved bringing him. Still can't believe how fast he is growing. I need to find him a cool Mean Green shirt and cap. Also, can't wait to take him to the Dallas Stars games.

JRock

The Bookstore actually has some decent stuff for toddlers. Bought my 2 yr old the t-shirt that looks like his head on a UNT players body: http://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay/10001-10034-10563-37531001-1?demoKey=d

FWIW, my son, while he hasn't met scrappy, keeps letting me know, "I go miami" "dad, we watch football?" and every other day or so I'll get a "go Norf Tezas" is about the best he can muster at this point. Congrats on the fan and what a fun trip they are.

No kidding. When was the last time an Eagle screamed "CAW"? Just sayin.

JRock

I'm incredibly onboard with this demand for mascot realism. If we don't see Scrappy off his feet and preying upon the smaller children and animals in and around the stadium this year, then why the hell do we have a team?

Also, although this is more of a 2012 demand, I would also like him to regurgitate a worm into my mouth every time we force a punt.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I'm incredibly onboard with this demand for mascot realism. If we don't see Scrappy off his feet and preying upon the smaller children and animals in and around the stadium this year, then why the hell do we have a team?

Also, although this is more of a 2012 demand, I would also like him to regurgitate a worm into my mouth every time we force a punt.

Also, in homage of our nickname: The Mean Green, Scrappy can never be happy either. As a matter of fact, the only emotion Scrappy can feel is anger and respond in "mean-ness". No more high-5's with Scrappy, or I'll expect he decks you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Bookstore actually has some decent stuff for toddlers. Bought my 2 yr old the t-shirt that looks like his head on a UNT players body: http://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay/10001-10034-10563-37531001-1?demoKey=d

FWIW, my son, while he hasn't met scrappy, keeps letting me know, "I go miami" "dad, we watch football?" and every other day or so I'll get a "go Norf Tezas" is about the best he can muster at this point. Congrats on the fan and what a fun trip they are.

Thanks. That's awesome. Yeah....I have to teach him right since my wife went to LSU. Our media room is purple and gold. :\

JRock

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, people should be properly supervising their children and watching their pets.....so I'm on board with that.

Well, would you settle for some of the parts/scraps from the aforementioned children and animals from in and around the stadium?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, in homage of our nickname: The Mean Green, Scrappy can never be happy either. As a matter of fact, the only emotion Scrappy can feel is anger and respond in "mean-ness". No more high-5's with Scrappy, or I'll expect he decks you.

Well, just as long as CAW doesn't come out of his mouth, and he decks you first, then I'm on board with that too......... B)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, would you settle for some of the parts/scraps from the aforementioned children and animals from in and around the stadium?

Actually, yes. I feel like an albino squirrel vomited into my mouth would give me a nice sense of closure on the aughts.