Texas FBS Football Schools Waters Getting Too Muddled

With the Texas WAC and a UTA (who will have football within 5 years some now predict) we now find Texas having more FBS schools than it probably needs and things now getting too muddled as a result. Somehow/someway North Texas needs to find some degree of separation from what now has become a crowd of FBS schools and if it can be done (from some of the CUSA schools, too) so we can distinct ourselves from the large crowd of schools in our Lone Star State.

TCU can out recruit all but UT and TAMU and now many times compete against Baylor & Texas Tech for recruits because of the success they had with their MWC membership and now Big East membership. The Frogs had a plan all the time to separate themselves from the rest of most of the FBS pack in Texas and it has worked in Frogville. (Who won that Rose Bowl game this last January again)??????

I have no way to know what we could do, except I do know a strong OOC home schedule could go a long way in our getting games the rest of the Texas WAC schools may not get for the moment because of their not having a Divison 1 past (or legacy if you will) that we have had since the Abner Haynes Era quite frankly. The Haynes years at UNT is what many in the NCAA call the beginning of the modern era of NCAA football.

UTSA will get some good schools into the AlamoDome in due time, but North Texas needs to strike while the iron is (I think) hot instead of our being too late another 25 years (our magic procrastination number at UNT IMO) to solve this log jam.

I know not many answers for UNT in all this for now, but whether you believe it or not, North Texas just got trumped by Karl Benson of the WAC by putting a WAC team in our backyard and if our powers don't know it then I fear for our future, too, with such naivity. I know Wright Waters has been (mostly) good for the SBC, but I think North Texas could lessen this WAC thing by sponsoring Texas State U for SBC membership. The league could use another Texas member and for what its worth, we will be recruiting against the Bobcats now that Coach Fran is their coach again.

If we don't get pro-active in Denton with some of these subjects, we are merely going to be the same ol' North Texas of the past 20 roller coaster years but just in new football diggs and that the only difference. The Texas Southern U scheduling at the MGS next year is not a very good indicator of things to come (except our doing the same things over and over gain the same way expecting different results). Just sayin...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

We did not get trumped by Benson. UTA is that ugly girl whose number you got one time, didn't think you'd ever have to use it, but now you haven't had any in months and is marginally better than phone sex.

You think UNT lacks athletic support from its alumni and student body? UTA is a different story. Besides the money it would cost to start a football program, I believe UTA would need to add 2 more women's sports to be title IX compliant (this issue was raised on the WAC board, I haven't done any research to verify).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Good grief why the panic over playing Texas Southern next year? We play a I-AA about every 6 years. I for one am looking forward to smacking somebody around for once.

Well, I would agree completely if we had at least one other home game on the slate that wasn't an SBC team. This was the year to have Texas Southern on the schedule at home, not next year as the only OOC game. He probably had no way to do this, but I wish RV could have gotten UH and Texas Southern this year at home, then have Indiana next year as the only home OOC game. Trust me, if we go 3-9 or worse this year, that stadium will not be close to full next year with that home schedule. Selling season tickets for 2012 will not be an easy task, unless of course, we somehow win big this year.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Well, I would agree completely if we had at least one other home game on the slate that wasn't an SBC team. This was the year to have Texas Southern on the schedule at home, not next year as the only OOC game. He probably had no way to do this, but I wish RV could have gotten UH and Texas Southern this year at home, then have Indiana next year as the only home OOC game. Trust me, if we go 3-9 or worse this year, that stadium will not be close to full next year with that home schedule. Selling season tickets for 2012 will not be an easy task, unless of course, we somehow win big this year.

I guess I am out of the loop on future schedules, but why do we have only one OOC home game next year? Otherwise, I do agree with your assessment.

I digress, but why build a new D1 football stadium if we are going to keep doing things such as scheduling as we did at Fouts Field?

And God help us, what if we have a sophmore jinx 2'nd year in that stadium and lost to TSU? One of our most successful coaches in UNT history had a terrible football team his 2'nd year in Denton and won only 2 games. Caca happens.