Tags for Sons of Confederate Vets.

What say you?

I say I want one...YES

http://scv.org/

for those who want to join here is the website.....easy to find with "the net."

only through the study of history does one understand revisionism. for those who want to believe revisonism they will be forever lost in the abyss of lies.

i had a great great grandfather who was a doctor for the south who served in missouri and arkansas. on my father's side they fought with the south in both battles of pea ridge.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 6

http://scv.org/

for those who want to join here is the website.....easy to find with "the net."

only through the study of history does one understand revisionism. for those who want to believe revisonism they will be forever lost in the abyss of lies.

i had a great great grandfather who was a doctor for the south who served in missouri and arkansas. on my father's side they fought with the south in both battles of pea ridge.

Revisionism exists on both sides of any historical event. What "revisionist" view of the Civil War....particularly the South...are you talking about?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

In the past 3 days I've played nearly 100 holes of golf, got to Skype with the cross-country lady-friend, took my roommate out for his birthday and just finished cooking some delicious tilapia tacos.

Just got home and took a look at this.

This may be the highlight of my weekend.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

let silver eagle prove his first statement before the second one is responded to.

Prove what? That revisionism exists? Here is a pretty good definition.

re·vi·sion·ism (r-vzh-nzm)

n.

1. Advocacy of the revision of an accepted, usually long-standing view, theory, or doctrine, especially a revision of historical events and movements.

One example would be the historical view of the battle of Little Big Horn. For decades the accepted version (as pushed by Libbie Custer) was like the Movie "They Died with their Boots on". Then there was the other view (revisionist?) presented in the Movie "Little Big Man".

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Prove what? That revisionism exists? Here is a pretty good definition.

re·vi·sion·ism (r-vzh-nzm)

n.

1. Advocacy of the revision of an accepted, usually long-standing view, theory, or doctrine, especially a revision of historical events and movements.

One example would be the historical view of the battle of Little Big Horn. For decades the accepted version (as pushed by Libbie Custer) was like the Movie "They Died with their Boots on". Then there was the other view (revisionist?) presented in the Movie "Little Big Man".

ok, i will match your entertainment with entertainment.....uncle tom's cabin.

Edited by eulesseagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Whats the big deal? The Texas Confederate flag that many regiments used to represent themselves during the War Between the States has already been on license plates for years. In fact it's flying in front of every government and school building in the state. It's just that we call it the Lone Star Flag.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Whats the big deal? The Texas Confederate flag that many regiments used to represent themselves during the War Between the States has already been on license plates for years. In fact it's flying in front of every government and school building in the state. It's just that we call it the Lone Star Flag.

Rick

But isn't that tempered a bit by the fact that the Lone Star Flag had already been the official flag of the Republic of Texas and had been in use for 22+ years when the civil war began? It already had other significance and meaning, and was naturally used in an unofficial capacity by some units of Texans in the Civil War - as it would have been regardless of which side the Texans might have fought on. It was never a uniquely Confederate flag, so it escaped the connotations therein.

• Upvote 3

I always wonder why people even still care. It's petty.

Look, the United States beat the Confederacy the same way it beat the Nazis on the battle field and the Soviets off of it.

To me, people who fly the Confederate Flag are simply flying one of the loser flags of history. They're saying, "Hooray, for the losers!" If they want to be losers, let them be losers. Everyone knows the final score.

Morons still get Nazi tatooes and buy Nazi and Hammer and Sickle flags. In America, you are free to be stupid - our Supreme Court has interpreted the U.S. Constitution in such a manner. So...buy up Sons of the Confederacy, or whatever your name is. Until such time as stupidity is outlawed, you are well within your right.

(By the way, the opinion above puts me at odds with probably every relative in my family, some of whom have made a lifetime out of studying the Civil War. But, someone has to break the cycle of redneck in our family...and, I'm not above doing it.)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I always wonder why people even still care. It's petty.

Look, the United States beat the Confederacy the same way it beat the Nazis on the battle field and the Soviets off of it.

To me, people who fly the Confederate Flag are simply flying one of the loser flags of history. They're saying, "Hooray, for the losers!" If they want to be losers, let them be losers. Everyone knows the final score.

Morons still get Nazi tatooes and buy Nazi and Hammer and Sickle flags. In America, you are free to be stupid - our Supreme Court has interpreted the U.S. Constitution in such a manner. So...buy up Sons of the Confederacy, or whatever your name is. Until such time as stupidity is outlawed, you are well within your right.

(By the way, the opinion above puts me at odds with probably every relative in my family, some of whom have made a lifetime out of studying the Civil War. But, someone has to break the cycle of redneck in our family...and, I'm not above doing it.)

Careful,...... there are those who would say that flying the North Texas battle flag would be the same thing.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

People can't fly the Confederate Flag to display their pride in being a southerner? God, I wish it was football season. Every offseason this whole damn board turns into nothing but a pissing contest anytime someone mentions politics, religion, guns, or history.

Im just sayin.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

People can't fly the Confederate Flag to display their pride in being a southerner? God, I wish it was football season. Every offseason this whole damn board turns into nothing but a pissing contest anytime someone mentions politics, religion, guns, or history.

Im just sayin.

Bout 15 feet, depending on wind speed/direction and how much lift I can get on the... appendage?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

But isn't that tempered a bit by the fact that the Lone Star Flag had already been the official flag of the Republic of Texas and had been in use for 22+ years when the civil war began? It already had other significance and meaning, and was naturally used in an unofficial capacity by some units of Texans in the Civil War - as it would have been regardless of which side the Texans might have fought on. It was never a uniquely Confederate flag, so it escaped the connotations therein.

Right, it was used as a rep for confederate regiments in Texas, and had a good history behind it. I guess my point is, if your from Texas and want to take some kind of pride in being Texan and want to show your southern pride, what's wrong with the Lone Star Flag. Why would anyone in Texas want to fly the Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia...ie "The Rebel Flag"?

Rick

• Upvote 5

Right, it was used as a rep for confederate regiments in Texas, and had a good history behind it. I guess my point is, if your from Texas and want to take some kind of pride in being Texan and want to show your southern pride, what's wrong with the Lone Star Flag. Why would anyone in Texas want to fly the Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia...ie "The Rebel Flag"?

Rick

Good point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Rick

A-ha, gotcha... in that case, agree totally. I've always seen Texas as its own animal anyway, exclusive of the South. Matter of opinion, of course, but I feel plenty of Texas Pride, and not a drop of "Southern Pride."

You hit on a great point here, as well... the Southern Pride argument, as little as I understand it to begin with (I could expound on what TFLF said here, but won't), is made even harder for me to understand by the fact that people from Texas, GA, MS, AL, wherever - choose to show "southern pride" by flying the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia (later Second Navy Jack). It either displays a misunderstanding of history (understandable, given the modern proliferation of the stars & bars), or a desire to stir the pot by supporting such a polarizing emblem. Likewise, any CSA related flag represents the darkest four year period in the history of "The South" (whatever that really means). Hardly seems like the best representation of "Southern Pride", but to each his or her own. JMHO.

Rick

Skynard, man. Skynard.

I'm certainly proud to be from the south, and very proud to be from Texas. I had several distant relatives fight/die for the Confederacy (Gen. A.S. Johnston @ Shiloh among others), and I'm proud of them too.

All that said, I couldn't justify flying the rebel flag, or even having it on a license plate because of what it has come to mean today. Today, it's equated with white-supremecy, ignorance, and hate (and toothlessness).

• Upvote 1

I'm certainly proud to be from the south, and very proud to be from Texas. I had several distant relatives fight/die for the Confederacy (Gen. A.S. Johnston @ Shiloh among others), and I'm proud of them too.

All that said, I couldn't justify flying the rebel flag, or even having it on a license plate because of what it has come to mean today. Today, it's equated with white-supremecy, ignorance, and hate (and toothlessness).

--Absolutely agree... The meaning has changed greatly, especially the battle flag, which is the one most often used by hate groups. I too lost a relative [gr-gr-grandfather] who died on some unknown battlefield and lies in an unmarked grave somewhere. The war ended and he never came home and the letters had stopped. I dislike the fact that racist groups use that flag, but they do, so I would never fly it at my house because of that. .

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2