2013 HS - Shirmane Thomas - 6'2" PG

High School: Skyline (Dallas)

AAU: Dallas Mustangs

Rivals listing

ESPN listing: 3 star prospect, 90 grade from Scouts, 16th ranked PG nationally, 80th ranked overall prospect (April 2011)

7th ranked prospect in the state of Texas according to ESPN rankings (April 2011)

6th ranked DFW prospect in the class of 2013 according to Metroplex Hoops (April 2011)

Selected to play in the "Fab Frosh" (Top 20 overall freshmen) Freshman All-American All-Star game held at the University of Kentucky, received "Top Defender" award at the camp (June 2009)

• 4 weeks later...

Slamonline.com, in an April 23rd article recapping an AAU tournament in Mississippi, says that Thomas is a scoring/drive oriented PG, a "scoring point" who could be more of a combo guard than a pass-first PG.

Took an unofficial visit to Oklahoma during the 2010 football season.

Rated 22nd overall prospect in the region by Rise Hoops scouting (January 2011)

• 2 months later...

Rivals listing updated, now evaluated as a 3 star prospect. Offers listed from Houston, San Diego, and Texas A&M. (August 2011)

Announced today (August 1st) over Twitter that he will be transferring to Dallas Lincoln.

Former Lincoln star Keaton Miles apparently does not approve of the decision.

• 3 months later...

ESPN listing updated; Thomas now has a 91 grade.

Rivals lists interest in/from 12 schools, including North Texas. Identifies scholarship offers from 3: San Diego, Houston, and Texas A&M.

TexasHoops ranks Thomas as the 27th best prospect in the state in the class of 2013.

• 6 months later...

Physically, the kid looks like a player but I have yet to see anything close to a mid major in 2 years. Unless he improves dramatically over the summer, I don't understand the offer. Not the type of talent to upgrade or sustain what we have. Fallen down to 45 on Tx Hoops.

• Upvote 1

Physically, the kid looks like a player but I have yet to see anything close to a mid major in 2 years. Unless he improves dramatically over the summer, I don't understand the offer. Not the type of talent to upgrade or sustain what we have. Fallen down to 45 on Tx Hoops.

Back-up plan for Marcus Foster? Would Senglin be a better combo guard option than Thomas?

• Upvote 2

Back-up plan for Marcus Foster? Would Senglin be a better combo guard option than Thomas?

As much as I would LOVE Foster , i just don't think we have a shot to be honest.

Cooley , any idea when Thomas went from Mustangs to Urban Elite ?

BALLISLIFE ( the neal twins make a cameo appearance)

Edited by NT03

As much as I would LOVE Foster , i just don't think we have a shot to be honest.

Cooley , any idea when Thomas went from Mustangs to Urban Elite ?

BALLISLIFE

I figured the Frazier, Foster, Harris triumvirate was likely out of reach...Foster being the most likely to come aboard here.

I'd be hip to pulling the point Tasty raved about at GASO...Michael Williams(?)...impressive tape I saw on him, though for some reason he's not listed on the TexasHoops top 121...was he class of '14?

• Upvote 1

Foster will most likely stay the closest of the 3 , but I think he has BIG XII aspirastions. I can't blame him , he's that good.

Williams is a 2013 and he's very solid. Probably not ranked due to a back injury he had last year which forced him to miss a lot of time.

I haven't seen Senglin play yet. Will make it a priority to this summer

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

I'd be hip to pulling the point Tasty raved about at GASO...Michael Williams(?)...impressive tape I saw on him, though for some reason he's not listed on the TexasHoops top 121...was he class of '14?

Not to derail Thomas' thread, but Williams has interest from Colorado State, Evansville, SFA, Yale, Rice, UNC Greensboro, and Furman, among others. His AAU team says that Rice is particularly interested.

Thomas & Harris are both taking unofficials to LSU this weekend. Big AAU tourney in New Orleans, I'm sure several kids will make the short drive

As for Williams, went to go check him out yesterday & he DNP due to injury :(

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thomas verbals to Creighton. I really thought he was going to be our next verbal

If we make a deep run and Beford is hired away , give me Steve Lutz as our next head coach any day of the week !

** edit , it's not a done deal yet

Edited by NT03

Maybe the prospect of competing with Taylor, Chris, and Hardwick was more than he could take.

I feel very comfortible at this position.

Pepperdine offered today

Thomas is more of a 2 guard. Will probably play that exclusively his senior season w/ the Neal twins running the show @ Lincoln

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pepperdine offered today

Thomas is more of a 2 guard. Will probably play that exclusively his senior season w/ the Neal twins running the show @ Lincoln

It is always interesting the first 2 weeks of high school to see where kids will transfer to. Pending a final ruling on Deion Sanders' Prime Prep Academy for varsity play in 2012-2013, it appears that Shirmaine will end up there for his senior season. Obviously the mentality of kids today is to join other talented players to form a super team. Well, not only is Thomas rumored at Prime Academy but Karvier Shepherd, Jordan Mickey and Emanuel Mudiey of Arlington Grace Prep in hoops. Though the football team only has about 30 on the roster, Deion is loading up with kids from all over the metroplex. Should be interesting to follow this school over the next few years as Deion has stated that sports will be a main focus.

http://www.primeprepacademy.org/index.php/campuses/athletics

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 1

It is always interesting the first 2 weeks of high school to see where kids will transfer to. Pending a final ruling on Deion Sanders' Prime Prep Academy for varsity play in 2012-2013, it appears that Shirmaine will end up there for his senior season. Obviously the mentality of kids today is to join other talented players to form a super team. Well, not only is Thomas rumored at Prime Academy but Karvier Shepherd, Jordan Mickey and Emanuel Mudiey of Arlington Grace Prep in hoops. Though the football team only has about 30 on the roster, Deion is loading up with kids from all over the metroplex. Should be interesting to follow this school over the next few years as Deion has stated that sports will be a main focus.

http://www.primeprepacademy.org/index.php/campuses/athletics

He also mentioned Lancaster as a possibility.

Bouncing from HS to HS probably means he's a good candidate to transfer in college as well

• Upvote 1

Lives in either Lancaster or Cedar HIll but attended Skyline as a Soph, Lincoln as a Junior and Prime Prep as a senior (tentative) Same thing with Jordan Mickey (Richardson Berkner, Arlington Grace Prep) and Kavier Shepherd (Lives in DeSoto/Duncanville) attended Richardson Berkner, DeSoto, Arlington Grace Prep and possibly Prime Prep.

Not interested in Thomas currently and certainly not as a soph or junior transfer. (tweener)

• Upvote 1

Will visit Wichita State 9/8

He's going to Wichita St. Tried to verbal to Creighton a few weeks back, but he was 3rd in their pecking order for CU's last ship. CU really wants Foster, followed by John Dawson, so just weren't going to take a Thomas verbal at that time. WSU is what's on the table. FWIW, Foster is enamored w/the Big 12, even though stylistically he'd be far better off at Creighton

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Lives in either Lancaster or Cedar HIll but attended Skyline as a Soph, Lincoln as a Junior and Prime Prep as a senior (tentative) Same thing with Jordan Mickey (Richardson Berkner, Arlington Grace Prep) and Kavier Shepherd (Lives in DeSoto/Duncanville) attended Richardson Berkner, DeSoto, Arlington Grace Prep and possibly Prime Prep.

Not interested in Thomas currently and certainly not as a soph or junior transfer. (tweener)

All these guys did enroll at Prime Prep. (along with another Grace Prep kid) If allowed to play this year, Prime Prep should open up as the #1 team in Texas, despite playing at the 3A level.

Zach Coleman, a 6-6 early commit to Missouri (Woodrow Wilson) has reopened his recruitment. Thought at the time that he was a reach for a high major; may now look for a more realistic option. UNT makes sense but we already have a similar type player in Anthony Norris for the 2013 class.

Edit:

So many transfers taking place daily. Fort Bend Travis, in my opinion, moves back into the #1 slot with the addition of 2 sports star Derrick Griffin (Texas A&M commit) to go with the Harrison twins. Many high school teams today are better than college teams.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/jB4_9-llXkaQJQl14DLJlg/breaking-down-high-school-basketballs-transfer-train.htm

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 1