Thread On Dan Mac On Cyclone Fanatic

Yellow Snow

I would say the positive comments in that thread far outweigh the negative ones.

Mac is a very polarizing figure for us. You should have seen the message boards when he was let go. It was entertaining and scary at the same time. Lots of mental patients evidently have access to computers.

Anyway, the universal complaint if you look at them, is his conservative "play calling" whatever that means. Iowa State fans can vividly remember games where conservative game plans apparently cost us wins. I'd agree that there were several. That said, maybe 4 times in 12 years isn't that often, and people forget that. They also fail to remember or discuss the times where his game management WON games for us. It's a selective memory thing. He won more games for us than he lost due to "play calling", trust me.

As and aside... I always get a kick out of people on message boards bemoaning "stupid play calling". What does that mean? It means the play didn't work for some reason, and 90% of the time it doesn't work because somebody on the offense jacked something up. The play call was good, the execution bad. The OC or HC could have an ideal call in a certain situation called and the center blocks the wrong person. "The OC or HC sucks. He can't call plays". You'll also notice that most diatribes about play calling come when their team just got beat by a better team, ergo fewer plays work. The nature of message board fans i guess.

• Upvote 3