Clarification On Current Logo Design

MeanGreenEagle1

Hey Gang...I wanted to get some clarification on our current logo design. I have heard some people making fun that we had the same logo design as the Prosper Eagles. From what I understand, a Professor in our esteemed College of Visual Arts & Design (Jack Sprague or Eric Ligon) was the person that helped design the entire art identity of the current designs. I love both the type design and screaming eagle myself. Much better than the logo of the 90's. Can anyone clarify the source of the current logo and type design? Thanks.

MGE1

Edited by MeanGreenEagle1

I can't answer your question with certainty to who created it.

I do know that UNT paid for the design and creation of the current eagle logo and type design. UNT owns that logo and type design and licensed the logo to Prosper.

So, if we are to make fun of anyone, it would be Prosper for copying UNT. But, we wouldn't because it is a good thing that we have a logo that people want to use, and we should let them use it.

The only problem I have with Prosper putting that on the side of their helmets is that it's not on our helmets so stupid people would make the assumption you have heard, and say that UNT copied Prosper. Which in fact, is the polar opposite of what really happened.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Rick. I think the establishment of a consistent symbol for our school is key to the long term branding. People get sick and tired of talking about new uniforms etc but bottom line, it matters. It's all about presentation. Still can't figure out why they won't put the eagle in the helmet. The argument that nobody will recognize the school when seen on TV doesn't hold water. There is no need to have North Texas on the uniforms twice...It's amateurish. We can do better. I can't tell you how happy I am to see the school growing like it is now. Good times to come.

We allowed Prosper to use it for one season on their helmets. Seems like from that point on the two sides couldnt agree and they put something else on there?

Rick

I agree....it really a waste of time to listen to people spew negativity about UNT. Constructive criticism is great but negativity just to be negative helps nothing.

I can't answer your question with certainty to who created it.

I do know that UNT paid for the design and creation of the current eagle logo and type design. UNT owns that logo and type design and licensed the logo to Prosper.

So, if we are to make fun of anyone, it would be Prosper for copying UNT. But, we wouldn't because it is a good thing that we have a logo that people want to use, and we should let them use it.

The only problem I have with Prosper putting that on the side of their helmets is that it's not on our helmets so stupid people would make the assumption you have heard, and say that UNT copied Prosper. Which in fact, is the polar opposite of what really happened.

The University of North Texas used the Logo first. Prosper changed logos shortly after our new design. It is a high school logo that does what many other high school logos do, they alter a collegiate logo to use as their own.

If you look closely at the Prosper logo, they changed the tail feather design from our SOW. Instead of three defined "feathers" they use one solid tail.

Look at McKinney Boyd's logo, which is an altered Boise State logo.

This is extremely common, I honestly don't even know why I am responding.

Our very own poster "coach" i think is his posting name, was coaching there and gave some insight to this, maybe he will come back and better explain. There was a dissagreement over their use of our logo during or after the year they won state.

But I agree, it does nothing but help NT when any HS wants to copy our marks. What is the most frustrating to me is the university expects us to give our support by buying their gear and support the athletics at the same time, but fan favored logos and athletics(football) cant seem to come together at the same time?

Rick

Indeed. I agree as well...I was more interested in the source of the design. Being NT has one of the best design schools in the country, if it was our COVAD, then all the better. Good use of resources.

MGE1

Our very own poster "coach" i think is his posting name, was coaching there and gave some insight to this, maybe he will come back and better explain. There was a dissagreement over their use of our logo during or after the year they won state.

But I agree, it does nothing but help NT when any HS wants to copy our marks. What is the most frustrating to me is the university expects us to give our support by buying their gear and support the athletics at the same time, but fan favored logos and athletics(football) cant seem to come together at the same time?

Rick

I believe a few years ago there was an article written in a big publication talking about high schools pretty much using logos that of colleges. And I think it was concluded that although the colleges didn't always like and appreciate that they pretty much just let it go since there are so many high schools so it wasn't really worth it to pursue legal action etc.

In 2003, UNT's brass decided that we needed a new athletic identity system. Eric Ligon and one or two other instructors from our Communication Design program were given the task of finding the right way to represent UNT's athletics and the current athletic branding set is the result. They started their design process that resulted in a lot of controversy since not all of the results were that great. However, the UNT athletic font and Son of Worm were the big hitters from that design process. The Son of Worm and the rest started to really get seen in about 2004-2005 and the script font logo and the other items were phased out.

TLDR - if someone said Prosper had it first, they're wrong. Many high schools can't come up with their own, and I would bet that lots of people that work in UNT would have long words with them.

• Upvote 1

In 2003, UNT's brass decided that we needed a new athletic identity system. Eric Ligon and one or two other instructors from our Communication Design program were given the task of finding the right way to represent UNT's athletics and the current athletic branding set is the result. They started their design process that resulted in a lot of controversy since not all of the results were that great. However, the UNT athletic font and Son of Worm were the big hitters from that design process. The Son of Worm and the rest started to really get seen in about 2004-2005 and the script font logo and the other items were phased out.

TLDR - if someone said Prosper had it first, they're wrong. Many high schools can't come up with their own, and I would bet that lots of people that work in UNT would have long words with them.

some of the logos like the eagle head were not very good but the sow is fine. it should be on the helmet instead of the wordy school name. fans and media know who is playing in the game. besides it is on the jersey too.

Florida State sued a dozen or so high schools across the state for using their logo, when all the HS's had been using them for over a decade.

In the end, it was just posturing, and agreements were reached with each school, costing the High Schools, $1 per year for the rights to the logo.

I have no issues with us licensing our logo design to every HS we can. It's nothing but a win-win.

Florida State sued a dozen or so high schools across the state for using their logo, when all the HS's had been using them for over a decade.

In the end, it was just posturing, and agreements were reached with each school, costing the High Schools, $1 per year for the rights to the logo.

I have no issues with us licensing our logo design to every HS we can. It's nothing but a win-win.

i am not a lawyer, but i think the reason some universities and professional teams have high schools pay a $1 to use their logo is that you can't selectively choose when you ane going to protect your trademark and when you are not otherwise you will loose it.[i read this somewhere,sometime ]

i am not a lawyer, but i think the reason some universities and professional teams have high schools pay a $1 to use their logo is that you can't selectively choose when you ane going to protect your trademark and when you are not otherwise you will loose it.[i read this somewhere,sometime ]

Absolutely correct sir. If you fail to protect your property, then you set the precedent. Also re-institute's their control over their trademark and how it's used.

Regardless, it's still a win-win for all parties involved.