Bubas Cup Standings

Mean Green Matt

The SBC has released the Bubas Cup standings through Volleyball. Football is the only fall sport left to be decided. Here is the link: Bubas Cup Standings

UNT is currently in 3rd place. 2.5 points behind WKU, and 8 points behind MTSU. We will gain at least 1.5 points on WKU because of football, but will lose ground to MTSU. This is pretty much a three horse race every year with us, western, and middle. We came in third place last year.

Interesting Fact: WKU is the only school to field every sport the SBC offers.

Interesitng Fact #2: Vball, MBB, and WBB all use a combination of divisional finish and tournament finish to determine points gained. Since UNT tied for the west division title in Vball, then beat the co-champion in the tournament. UNT got the second highest amount of points (11) awarded for VBall despite being the #5 seed.

If anyone wants an interactive spreadsheet (yes I am a nerd) to follow along with the standings, and not have to wait for the conference to release them, let me know. I tried to attach it to the post but excel files are not allowed.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

It is an uphill battle to catch WKU. We have to get ahead of them by enough points that their Men's Swimming, Men's Tennis, and Baseball teams can't score enough to catch up with us. We are guaranteed ZERO points from all of those, which is why we need to add a couple sports.

MTSU is a really strong program, especially in Cross Country, as well as Indoor and Outdoor Track and field. If you count Men's and Womens, that is 6 events which MTSU always gets close to maximum points in. It sounds crazy, but the key piece to a run for the Bubas Cup is strong CC and T&F. Without it, winning is nearly impossible.

CMJ, if you send me a PM with your e-mail address I will send you the spreadsheet.

It is an uphill battle to catch WKU. We have to get ahead of them by enough points that their Men's Swimming, Men's Tennis, and Baseball teams can't score enough to catch up with us. We are guaranteed ZERO points from all of those, which is why we need to add a couple sports.

This.

It's hard to take serious a trophy that compares apples to oranges. <_<

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

MTSU does not sponsor Men's or Women's Swimming and Diving, but of late they have been dominating the Bubas Cup.

We need to start pulling the money together for these other sports and quit worrying about Title IX. WKU for example offers the exact same women's sports that we do, but offers two more men's sports (tennis and baseball).

Edit: Make that three more men's sports...I forgot about the WKU Men's Swimming and Diving team.

• Upvote 1

no, it is just a participation trophy

No, because if you participated in all the sports but sucked in most of them - you wouldn't win. Hell, aren't ESPN and Capital One sponsoring the same type of thing for all of college sports this year?

Edited by CMJ

No, because if you participated in all the sports but sucked in most of them - you wouldn't win. Hell, aren't ESPN and Capital One sponsoring the same type of thing for all of college sports this year?

As you said teams with more sports do have an inherent advantage from the beginning for this award. I would also say teams with more funding for the same sport have an inherent advantage.

As you said teams with more sports do have an inherent advantage from the beginning for this award. I would also say teams with more funding for the same sport have an inherent advantage.

That is not the fault of the Sun Belt Conference though...that is our fault for not fielding all the sports the SBC offers. WKU is the only school that takes advantage of this.

That is not the fault of the Sun Belt Conference though...that is our fault for not fielding all the sports the SBC offers. WKU is the only school that takes advantage of this.

Correct, it's not the conference's fault. Schools have their priorities with funding and Title IX issues. RV chooses to put a premium on Title IX and that's fine, although it led to being unable to fund some men's sports or re-start others at NT. At one time NT had varsity men's soccer, tennis and baseball; we even sponsored JV football when I was in school.

Edited by NT80

Sure the more sports the better change you have, but the offset is you have to fund all those sports. WKU has an advantage and they pay for it. Seems fair to me. The keys to victory in these all sports cups is have a very strong track program and use foreign athletes strategically.

WKU may fund the sports, but they are not competitive in several. There tennis teams are the joke of the Sun Belt. They can offer 8 Women's scholarships and I believe they only fund for 4, so it looks good having a sport but they underfund several of them. Now they focus on Track and Cross Country but at detriment of other minor sports.