New Student Section

Dr. Seuss

Is that in writing somewhere? If true, I hope so. I will probably get "killed" for this, but that "poor student/poor grad student" line is getting pretty old. Most of "us grads" recall our student days as well, and we do know that students make decisions as to where to spend their time and their money just like everyone else. If there were a high enough priority on attending games, students would find they have both the time and the money to attend. It's all a matter of priority. And, before you do "start the killing of the messenger", I worked part-time and full-time jobs the entire time I was an undergrad at UNT for my money and all the way through all my graduate programs. I would like to know the actual percentage of undergrad students at UNT who get no support from their parents, no scholarship money, etc. The idea of the "poor and destitute" college student is a myth for the majority I would certainly imagine. I considered myself "poor" as an undergrad and grad student simply because I couldn't afford everything I WANTED...underscore "wanted"...but I certainly found the funds to party, join a frat, attend games, date some great co-eds (and some as it turned out...not-so-great) and generally have a good experience at UNT and during grad school. Choices, folks, choices...and all the while working outside of school the whole time.

Hard to plead poverty while one is texting away on a DROID phone hooked up to the Internet, etc., etc. I am not dissing anyone here, as there are definitely some UNT students getting by on little to nothing outside of what it costs to attend. However, my guess, they make up a minority of enrolled students. Anyone have any real data on this as I am going simply from observation and personal experience....and, observation and personal experience can certainly be deceiving at times.

The students do pay for tickets, everytime they pay tuition, it would be unfair to make them pay twice especially since their fees are what is enabling the new stadium.

The students do pay for tickets, everytime they pay tuition, it would be unfair to make them pay twice especially since their fees are what is enabling the new stadium.

You missed the point entirely.

You missed the point entirely.

Serious question -- what was the point, then? That should be charged more or that they should join a student mean green club?

I'd love option 2 if it was possible.

Serious question -- what was the point, then? That should be charged more or that they should join a student mean green club?

I'd love option 2 if it was possible.

The point was not hidden. I am surprised you had to ask...students choose what to do with the money they have and most are not the "poor" students they are often made out to be. Even those working their way through get to make choices, and a good few choose items that one can not actually afford if living at/below the poverty line...such as expensive DROID and APPLE phones hooked up to the internet and loaded with apps, etc. Not trying to generalize, just trying to point out the "poor college student" line is more than a bit overused.

Just like the line that one can't attend a basketball game because they are already studying for finals....like that 2 1/2 hour break is going to make or break the whole semester grade. Right...it's all about choices folks. No value judgement placed, just trying to put a nail in one of the lame tired excuses we tend to hear on a fairly regular basis as most of us have "been there/done that".

Didn't think of Option #2 you state, but do think it has some merit. Want to discuss? Or, did I miss your point? :lol:

I do love the fact admission for students is zero. I went to just about every single game when I was there because of it. Made it up last night for the win over UTA. Loved the student section and the noise they made throughout. The band was great as always, and the scene overall has improved in recent years...winning does that I guess. Took 3 people that have never been before and they were very impressed. They said the Pit is kind like a mini version of old Reunion. I have always thought that too.

If this thing keeps getting better, the designated student area will grow just like the program has under Johnny. Great night, been bragging about it all day.

The point was not hidden. I am surprised you had to ask...students choose what to do with the money they have and most are not the "poor" students they are often made out to be. Even those working their way through get to make choices, and a good few choose items that one can not actually afford if living at/below the poverty line...such as expensive DROID and APPLE phones hooked up to the internet and loaded with apps, etc. Not trying to generalize, just trying to point out the "poor college student" line is more than a bit overused.

Just like the line that one can't attend a basketball game because they are already studying for finals....like that 2 1/2 hour break is going to make or break the whole semester grade. Right...it's all about choices folks. No value judgement placed, just trying to put a nail in one of the lame tired excuses we tend to hear on a fairly regular basis as most of us have "been there/done that".

Didn't think of Option #2 you state, but do think it has some merit. Want to discuss? Or, did I miss your point? :lol:

Not sure I get the point then. The students already have had their choice made for them, they pay an athletics fee wether they go to the games or not. If they had to pay again, many of them might choose to skip out. If I had to buy tickets when I was a student, I wouldn't have been at every basketball game. When you only have enought to cover school expenses, a crappy apartment, and food, sorry sports isn't nearly important.

It's a pretty awesome idea and one that is gaining traction in ADs around the country. I'm pretty sure they're already exploring it, but, since I'm nice, I'll let you steal it for the Exes first. :P

Meanwhile, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go find every past college student who had a walkman, stereo, speakers, amp, drumset, electric guitar, Commodore64 or lava lamp and explain why they make bad decisions. Don't worry, it may not be all of them, and it may not be an issue, but it just seems like a good way to build goodwill.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure I get the point then. The students already have had their choice made for them, they pay an athletics fee wether they go to the games or not. If they had to pay again, many of them might choose to skip out. If I had to buy tickets when I was a student, I wouldn't have been at every basketball game. When you only have enought to cover school expenses, a crappy apartment, and food, sorry sports isn't nearly important.

You could do it very cheaply....maybe make it $5-$10 per season to join the student MGC. That would be enough to break even on a T-shirt or something that athletics may give out for joining. Something like that may increase perceived value just enough to get a bunch more students out, and be budget neutral at the same time.

I'm not saying it would work, but it may be worth a try.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I do love the fact admission for students is zero. I went to just about every single game when I was there because of it. Made it up last night for the win over UTA. Loved the student section and the noise they made throughout. The band was great as always, and the scene overall has improved in recent years...winning does that I guess. Took 3 people that have never been before and they were very impressed. They said the Pit is kind like a mini version of old Reunion. I have always thought that too.

If this thing keeps getting better, the designated student area will grow just like the program has under Johnny. Great night, been bragging about it all day.

With the recruiting class that already has signed, this thing is only going to get better andd better in the coming years.

Is there a pit crew tshirt? Not just a tshirt that was produced in limited numbers but one that kids could get ahold of RIGHT NOW if they so desired. If not, why not? Id think that if you had them for sale at every home game for like $7 you could sell out of a 750-1000 shirt allotment fairly quickly. Purchased in bulk like this, and done with white shirts with green lettering, they could be produced at around $3-$4 apiece. I know when I raised the money to start the tshirt exchange program we did it for $4000.