Canales Chance As Hc

houstonmeangreen

I care about the program as well. I guess we all have a chance to make fans or run them off. I would rather choose to make fans.

Regarding the coaching search, the right head coach is essential in building a program and I think Canales has shown the ability to do this in his short time in the interim position.

Levitt: Built USF, got them into the Big East, team always finished middle of the pack, left under player abuse allegations and doesn't appear to have many supporters in Tampa.

Leach: Brought TTech out of the the middle of the Big XII to contend for the conference/national title, teams played no defense, never showed an interest in mingling with the supporters of the Tech program, left under player abuse programs and divided the fanbase.

Franchione: Was successful at NMU as well as TCU, although Patterson has taken them to another level, failed at Alabama due to program issues, was run out of College Station due to a subscription based newsletter and divide the fanbase.

Everyone of the coaches you support has some type baggage attached, that ended up hurting the program in the long run.

Again, to clarify my position on the coaching search, I want the right coach that will build this program, unite the community, alumni, students and faculty and staff, recruits Texas, and specifically the Metroplex well, fits NT's budget, demands excellence both on and off the field from the young men on the team, and if chosen by another program as their HC and he accepts, has the staff in place to provide continuity similar to what Boise State and TCU have done.

The HC can be the the mother jack ass of all jack asses...if he comes here, wins and elevates our football and athletic program then RV needs to send him the contract.

Edited by Green Mean

1) The MAC had a team come within a single win of qualifying for the BCS two years ago. They went at least two and I think three decades before they had a top 20 team.

2) The Belt is progressing just fine. Clearly it is in better shape than the WAC.

1) The underlined word is the operative term. The BCS is only obligated to take one non-AQ school which finishes in the top 12 and that year Ball State would not have finished as high as Utah and there's no way Ball State would have been offered a berth in a BCS bowl. Fact is, the MAC is a decent conference which is not at all in danger of folding. However, it IS stagnant.

2) The WAC is not stagnant. Rather, the WAC is dying. As you say, in contrast, the SBC is progressing. Fans of San Jose State, Utah State and New Mexico State have argued that after Boise, Fresno, Nevada and Hawaii leave, the WAC should merge with the SBC. If I was the SBC, I would be very careful about the ramifications for you of doing that.

I care about the program as well. I guess we all have a chance to make fans or run them off. I would rather choose to make fans.

Regarding the coaching search, the right head coach is essential in building a program and I think Canales has shown the ability to do this in his short time in the interim position.

Levitt: Built USF, got them into the Big East, team always finished middle of the pack, left under player abuse allegations and doesn't appear to have many supporters in Tampa.

Leach: Brought TTech out of the the middle of the Big XII to contend for the conference/national title, teams played no defense, never showed an interest in mingling with the supporters of the Tech program, left under player abuse programs and divided the fanbase.

Franchione: Was successful at NMU as well as TCU, although Patterson has taken them to another level, failed at Alabama due to program issues, was run out of College Station due to a subscription based newsletter and divide the fanbase.

Everyone of the coaches you support has some type baggage attached, that ended up hurting the program in the long run.

Again, to clarify my position on the coaching search, I want the right coach that will build this program, unite the community, alumni, students and faculty and staff, recruits Texas, and specifically the Metroplex well, fits NT's budget, demands excellence both on and off the field from the young men on the team, and if chosen by another program as their HC and he accepts, has the staff in place to provide continuity similar to what Boise State and TCU have done.

Just to set the record straight, Franchione did not fail at Alabama. He took a 3-8 team to 7-5 his first year and 10-3 his last year. His last team was ineligible for the SEC championship and a bowl due to NCAA sanctions on the previous coach.

He finished only two games over .500 at A&M which for him was a failure. The Aggie administration was looking for a reason to can him and the newsletter became convenient. He made a little over $30K on the inside info but little mention is made of the fact that he donated $1M toward the indoor practice facility at A&M.

• Upvote 1

Im not really going out on a limb.

Why do I think that Canales would offer Leavitt a position?

1. They worked well in the past. Twice.

2. Leavitt is currently out of work

3. Canales could pluck Leavitt's brain on building a program.

4. They worked well in the past. Twice.

In this case, we should hire Canales for sure, because they come as a package, right?

Leavitt wouldn't go back to being an assistant, especially for what we'd pay him. If this were as sure of a thing as your expectation leads you to believe, we'd already have a coach announced.

1. They worked well in the past with Leavitt as HC.

2. Leavitt has made enough in the past to stay out of work if he wants

3. Canales could pluck Leavitt's brain on building a program and take all the credit?

4. Is there an echo in here?

It'd be nice, but I'd never expect that happen.

Edited by MeanMag

Just to set the record straight, Franchione did not fail at Alabama. He took a 3-8 team to 7-5 his first year and 10-3 his last year. His last team was ineligible for the SEC championship and a bowl due to NCAA sanctions on the previous coach.

He finished only two games over .500 at A&M which for him was a failure. The Aggie administration was looking for a reason to can him and the newsletter became convenient. He made a little over $30K on the inside info but little mention is made of the fact that he donated $1M toward the indoor practice facility at A&M.

Coach Fran was probably a bit too much cosmopolitan for the good ol boy, shi&-kicking, burr-headed, cowboy boot-wearing crowd of TAMU.

I had 2 of my favorite first cousins attend TAMU--both were in the Corps and they were from Groesbeck, Texas. And they met the above criteria as well, but the ladies of TAMU are all mostly "ladies" from all accounts and my Aldeo vet just happens to be one of those (and a great vet, too).

RC Slocum was a perfect fit for TAMU--just didn't take the Ag's up the national rankings ladder to suit all the Former Students. Had a friend run into him at a Crawford, Texas, Tractor Supply Store and he said the guy was just a regular ol' country boy and the type to never meet a stranger. TAMU with all their resources & facilities is still an athletic program enigma to many of us who have been in Texas most our lives.

Hmmm? :rolleyes: Wonder if Neil Sperry can coach?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen