While We're Down--Should Unt Upload Its Future Schedule...

PlummMeanGreen

Keep it the same, but start demanding 1 for 1's, or at least 2fers from everyone--even the big dogs.

You need to provide value for the season ticket holders, so keep scheduling CUSA/MAC type teams, as well as the KSU's and Big 10 teams that the MG has a shot at--ie: Indiana, Illinois, etc. I personally have liked the last couple of schedules that the AD has put together.

• Upvote 2

Because if and when we start winning like Boise State and TCU, it may be difficult to get Top 25'ers on our future schedule IMHO.

Or..........what would be a good scheduling formula for UNT with a new stadium on our horizon?

I love Boise and wish them the best, but lets not act like the big guys are avoiding them, they are avoiding the big players as well

Nebraska

I love Boise and wish them the best, but lets not act like the big guys are avoiding them, they are avoiding the big players as well

Nebraska

How bouts' a 3 for 3 home and home with Boise State? We used to tee it up with the Broncos. They do get their Texas fix in Fort Worth, though.

Has Boise State crossed that very subtle invisible line to where the Big Boys are not embarrassed to play them and consider the Broncos one of them now? None of the Big Boys would say "Yuk! We just got beat by Boise" like they may have 10 years ago. UNT is probably 10 years away from a Boise type program but think back 10 years and that doesn't seem too long, now does it?

I'm watching their replay (once again) on ESPNU as I post. Their program just intrigues the heck out of me as I guess anyone who reads my below signature might guess, but I've always wished our program to emulate theirs. We used to admire their Top 25 placement but now its all about Top 10 for BSU.

When UNT starts having the uncanny year after year team speed of Boise State, thats when we will start making some hay in Denton. It was that team speed that helped them beat OU in their first BCS bowl game if you recall--that was the one that took the Bronco football program to the next level.

Do You Need Long Term Coaches To Succeed? Boise State's Last 5 Coaches

Pokey Allen 1993 - 1996

Houston Nutt 1997

Dirk Koetter 1998 - 2000

Dan Hawkins 2001 - 2005

Chris Petersen 2006 - Current

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Because if and when we start winning like Boise State and TCU, it may be difficult to get Top 25'ers on our future schedule IMHO.

Or..........what would be a good scheduling formula for UNT with a new stadium on our horizon?

I say try and schedule some road games against mid-level BCS teams... Try and get games against Iowa St., Indiana, Washington St., Duke, etc...

These are games that would be winnable once the team and program are at a competitive level...

See if any of these programs would be willing to do a 2 for 1...

Taking money games against the Texas' and Alabama's of the world might be necessary as well, but treat them as stepping stones and learning experiences... Gauge yourself on how well you compete in those games, not wins...

Once the program is a little more solid try and get the bigger programs to come to your house on a 2 or 3 for 1 like UTEP did with UT...

This process is not a 1 or 2 year affair... It will take upwards of 5 years to fully implement...

UNT needs to stay the course and remain patient...

Do You Need Long Term Coaches To Succeed? Boise State's Last 5 Coaches

Pokey Allen 1993 - 1996

Houston Nutt 1997

Dirk Koetter 1998 - 2000

Dan Hawkins 2001 - 2005

Chris Petersen 2006 - Current

You don't need long term coaches, but it helps that each successive coach is an assistant of the previous coach and that a SYSTEM, a PHILOSOPHY and an IDENTITY are created that each coach follows and, if possible, improves on...

Ie. Boise St.

You don't need long term coaches, but it helps that each successive coach is an assistant of the previous coach and that a SYSTEM, a PHILOSOPHY and an IDENTITY are created that each coach follows and, if possible, improves on...

Ie. Boise St.

..and an assistant coach from a winning program.

I forgot that Houston Nutt was ever at Boise State. Forgive me, O Bronco football gods! :lol:

GMG!

Upon Further Review: I should have put in the thread title: "...upload with Top #15 thru #25 football programs and others who are in and out of that group. I am not that crazy about us playing Top 10 programs for awhile. You do give us a quicker timeline for success than me with your 5 years--I said 10; that is, to have the same national success as BSU.

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Of course I have to raise the question:

Wonder how non-UNT'ers or our SBC opponent posters registered with GMG.com would vote in this kind of poll? Something that would appear or seem positive for North Texas and Mean Green football? :rolleyes:(not)

Carry on...

GMG!

Frankly, I don't know what avenue would be best for UNT but what the heck, we (as always) are still just speculating on yet another subject.

Game Day--hurry up! :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Upon Further Review: I should have put in the thread title: "...upload with Top #15 thru #25 football programs and others who are in and out of that group. I am not that crazy about us playing Top 10 programs for awhile. You do give us a quicker timeline for success than me with your 5 years--I said 10; that is, to have the same national success as BSU.

My 5 year timeline was really to get the pieces in place and get some organizational consistency...

I agree that it could take 10 years or more to be in the same position Boise St. finds themselves today...

The journey of those 10 years would be absolutely amazing though, wouldn't it...?? :)

Edited by McKinneyMiner

My 5 year timeline was really to get the pieces in place and get some organizational consistency...

I agree that it could take 10 years or more to be in the same position Boise St. finds themselves today...

The journey of those 10 years would be absolutely amazing though, wouldn't it...?? :)

Yes, and in a much more palatial home to boot.

GMG!

Wow. One win and we're talking top 25.

Tentative future schedules (incomplete) as published (Green Gang) in July, with some additions:

2011 - Houston, Alabama, Tulsa and Indiana. (Indiana's future schedule on their website does not include UNT and shows Ind plays Illinois on the date we were to play Indiana. Ind's 2012 schedule doesn't show us but has room for us.)

2012 - LSU and KState.

2013 - Georgia, Ohio and Ball State.

2014 - UTx, SMU and Tulsa.

2015 - Tulsa, SMU and Iowa.

2016 - SMU, Florida and Army.

2017 - SMU, Iowa and Army.

2018 - SMU (I thought this was a 4 yr deal not 5), Army and Arkansas.

Probably lots of changes we don't know about since the above was posted. For instance Indiana's future schedule changed substantially when it was redone to get Nebraska into the Big 10/11/12.

Who knows if this gets Plum where he wants us to go. But we are years away from top 25 consideration.

Wow. One win and we're talking top 25.

Tentative future schedules (incomplete) as published (Green Gang) in July, with some additions:

2011 - Houston, Alabama, Tulsa and Indiana. (Indiana's future schedule on their website does not include UNT and shows Ind plays Illinois on the date we were to play Indiana. Ind's 2012 schedule doesn't show us but has room for us.)

2012 - LSU and KState.

2013 - Georgia, Ohio and Ball State.

2014 - UTx, SMU and Tulsa.

2015 - Tulsa, SMU and Iowa.

2016 - SMU, Florida and Army.

2017 - SMU, Iowa and Army.

2018 - SMU (I thought this was a 4 yr deal not 5), Army and Arkansas.

Probably lots of changes we don't know about since the above was posted. For instance Indiana's future schedule changed substantially when it was redone to get Nebraska into the Big 10/11/12.

Who knows if this gets Plum where he wants us to go. But we are years away from top 25 consideration.

In rereading Bartolotta's info, I see it was dated july 2009 and the SMU deal is ten years.

I love the future schedules with the exception of the Texas and LSU games. But, those look to disappear quickly and we get a refreshing batch of schools mixed into the future - Iowa, Georgia, and Florida.

Love the Army, SMU, Tulsa deals. You can't beat a schedule of winnable out of conference games.

The only extra I'd hope for in the future is games with our two oldest rivals, Texas State and Mew Mexico State.

id like us to schedule home and away 1 for 1's wit regional teams to get more wins, and to win over more recruits ....

1. La Tech- why dont we play these guys? my #1 team i want to play most. we go heads up with these guys alot for DFW recruits.

2. Tx St- could be going FBS soon, they will need close opponents and we could form a good rivalry.

3. Houston- Glad we are starting to play them again. Cant wait for opening night

4. Tulsa- glad this series will continue soon.

5. Baylor- Hell we beat the hell outta em in 03 why not again?