Redshirting

Best players need to play now...start winning and we'll be recruiting better players for the 2013 season, which everyone seems so concerned we won't have a QB for now that Thompson played Saturday.

Wise words, totally.

Recruiting players and having them agree to play here doesn't mean "you will get a full 4 years of starting." Most likely, they get two full years of starting, if they EVER crack the 2 deep. Everything after that is bonus for both the team and player.

I'm sick of this conversation...especially when it comes to Thompson and the talk of red-shirting him this season as some sort of penance for Dodge's playing him last season. Thompson is our back-up quarterback and was neck and neck with Tune to be the starter this season...he needs to be game ready and of the mindset that I'm the next guy on the field should Tune go down. Especially considering the other 2 options are walk-ons. Thinking that you'd red-shirt one of two scholarship QBs on your roster is ridiculous.

This team doesn't have the luxury of red-shirting anybody who can contribute this season...not just for Dodge's job, but for this football team to have a successful season. If Orr beat out Prior behind Penson at MLB...play Orr. If Abbe needs to contribute on the DL this season...play Abbe. If Wright is one of the best 10 on kick coverage...play Wright.

Best players need to play now...start winning and we'll be recruiting better players for the 2013 season, which everyone seems so concerned we won't have a QB for now that Thompson played Saturday.

You do understand that you don't have to declare the redshirt right now, right?

Yes, he can be your number 2, ready to go if Tune gets hurt, and still not play all season if Tune remains healthy. Mop up miunutes does zero, nada, nil, zilch to prepare any QB for real game action. That's why they call them mop up minutes.

But I guess Troy Phillips, Bret Vito, and myself are total idiots for wondering about the odd circumstances in which this shirt was burned.

In the group-think that ensued after the questioning of this decision (group-think seems to be a big theme of this board lately), you guys missed the main point, which is I don't think this happens unless there are plans to play Thompson more as the year goes on.

• Downvote 6

You do understand that you don't have to declare the redshirt right now, right?

Yes, he can be your number 2, ready to go if Tune gets hurt, and still not play all season if Tune remains healthy. Mop up miunutes does zero, nada, nil, zilch to prepare any QB for real game action. That's why they call them mop up minutes.

But I guess Troy Phillips, Bret Vito, and myself are total idiots for wondering about the odd circumstances in which this shirt was burned.

In the group-think that ensued after the questioning of this decision (group-think seems to be a big theme of this board lately), you guys missed the main point, which is I don't think this happens unless there are plans to play Thompson more as the year goes on.

I just don't think we need to worry about Thompsons status. Players are expendable and it's not like Thompson is the best kept hidden secret. If we burn his redshirt status then who cares? He still has two more years to play after this and he will get his chance at being the starter. There are absolutely no rules in the win now mode. It is all open and fair game.

Except this had nothing to do with winning. These were mop up minutes.

I would like to know how many times a QB has taken every snap of every game. I;m thinking not alot. The thought of redshirting Thompson is ridiculous, it's not as though we are deep at the QB spot. 2 qbs on ship, if it came down to it Riley would go in before Baine.

Mop up duties in front of crowd larger than that he'd see in the next four games...combined...and against more future NFL players than he will possibly see all season.

I'd say any work he can get benefits this team...and no, I don't think that getting your clear back-up, #2 quarterback work late in an outcome decided game is an indication of anything beyond continued acclimation for your sophomore backup to have more than 3 college snaps.

I guess if keeping your #1 QB away from injury and at the same time getting your #2 QB (future #1) *some* playing time is considered "doing nothing," then you are right.

Going against a hungry second team Clemson defense isn't mop up time. He wasn't kneeling the ball and the Clemson team wasn't just sitting back on him.

I think you are being hyperbolic.

I would like to know how many times a QB has taken every snap of every game. I;m thinking not alot. The thought of redshirting Thompson is ridiculous, it's not as though we are deep at the QB spot. 2 qbs on ship, if it came down to it Riley would go in before Baine.

Again, a redshirt is not something you have to declare before the start of the year. If Thompson didn't have to play this year, he would have been eligible for a redshirt. If Tune goes down, Thompson is your immediate replacement, no question.

But why do this in the closing minutes of a blowout loss, unless you knew for a fact something was in store for Thompson later in the year.

Think of it this way. Let's say Tune stays healthy the entire year ( a distinct possibility with a seasoned O-line) and the rest of our games all are one possession games in the fourth Quarter (a very good possibility with the exception of Kansas St and possibly Troy). If Tune is truely your #1 starter the rest of the season, Thompson never gets back out on the field, and you have wasted 2 years of eligibility for 6 passes.

Right now, we have nothing of substance behind Thompson at QB. We know that Thompson's Spring and Fall equalled Tune's, and that Tune was chosen for his experience. We know that Coach Dodge needs to win 7 games, and if he doesn't, the new coach will face a tough 1st recruiting year. You know that in the only meaningful minutes Thompson has played, he outperformed what even the most optimistic (KRAM :D) poster on this board would have expected.

Thompson could have been both your #2 QB and a redshirt at the end of the year if Tune stayed healthy. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I guess if keeping your #1 QB away from injury and at the same time getting your #2 QB (future #1) *some* playing time is considered "doing nothing," then you are right.

Going against a hungry second team Clemson defense isn't mop up time. He wasn't kneeling the ball and the Clemson team wasn't just sitting back on him.

I think you are being hyperbolic.

Clemson was ABSOLUTELY sitting back on him and giving him underneath routes. They were up 25 with less than 2 minutes to play.

Geez.

The Arkansas St. game provided much more experience for Thompson than any mop up duty will ever do.

The size of the crowd does not matter, as there was no pressure. Again, Arkansas St. provided much more pressure than these mop up minutes ever could.

• Downvote 1

This thread is like a political thread on the pie forum. People (or in this case,person) getting all worked up and no one changes anyone else's mind.

But, I just now noticed that CBL likes to distribute his roll over the top. Want to get me worked up? Let's start that debate. Oh, and CBL's is the proper way.

This thread is like a political thread on the pie forum. People (or in this case,person) getting all worked up and no one changes anyone else's mind.

But, I just now noticed that CBL likes to distribute his roll over the top. Want to get me worked up? Let's start that debate. Oh, and CBL's is the proper way.

Did you like it?

Oh...and over-hand is the only way. You just have to give it a little slap on the top and you get all the TP you need.

Again, a redshirt is not something you have to declare before the start of the year. If Thompson didn't have to play this year, he would have been eligible for a redshirt. If Tune goes down, Thompson is your immediate replacement, no question.

But why do this in the closing minutes of a blowout loss, unless you knew for a fact something was in store for Thompson later in the year.

Think of it this way. Let's say Tune stays healthy the entire year ( a distinct possibility with a seasoned O-line) and the rest of our games all are one possession games in the fourth Quarter (a very good possibility with the exception of Kansas St and possibly Troy). If Tune is truely your #1 starter the rest of the season, Thompson never gets back out on the field, and you have wasted 2 years of eligibility for 6 passes.

Right now, we have nothing of substance behind Thompson at QB. We know that Thompson's Spring and Fall equalled Tune's, and that Tune was chosen for his experience. We know that Coach Dodge needs to win 7 games, and if he doesn't, the new coach will face a tough 1st recruiting year. You know that in the only meaningful minutes Thompson has played, he outperformed even what even the most optimistic (KRAM :D) poster on this board would have expected.

Thompson could have been both your #2 QB and a red-shirt at the end of the year if Tune stayed healthy. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

So you are more concerned about his red-shirt than having next years starter have zero game experience? That makes no sense. Thompson needs every snap we can give him this year. He will have two years to be the starter if he wins the job(who else do we have?)that is pretty good especially in the QB position.

But why does he insist on pooping in the urinal? Especially messy with fouts waterless types.

UNT90, we have got it you think that Thompson should not go in until absolutely necessary despite the fact that there are no other good QB options behind Tune. Playing backup in a game is of no merit and the likelihood of losing Tune to injury is remote. Never mind that it would make much more sense to redshirt Byrd, Bellazin, Orr and a multitude of others before Thompson, yet no one is questioning their lost of a redshirt. Also the decision has already been made and in this case unlike using Thompson last year, it is not even really a questionable decision. This is a must year for Dodge, the last thing he is worried about is whether he has a QB identified for 2012.

Your second QB has to be really to play and Dodge has always tried to get his second string QB a few snaps to prepare him for when it is necessary. I bet Mac Brown wished he had given his backup to McCoy a few more series after the Alabama game. By the way, Clemson was in a prevent defense at the end of the game; the same as they would have been if the first teams were playing. One man's mop up is another's good experience, I guess.

UNT90, we have got it you think that Thompson should not go in until absolutely necessary despite the fact that there are no other good QB options behind Tune. Playing backup in a game is of no merit and the likelihood of losing Tune to injury is remote. Never mind that it would make much more sense to redshirt Byrd, Bellazin, Orr and a multitude of others before Thompson, yet no one is questioning their lost of a redshirt.

So you are saying that Orr, Bellazin, and Byrd play Quarterback, the most important position on the team, and they were put in to play just the last 1:30 of a game that was already decided? And Coach Dodge has already said that the starters (not them) for their positions will remain the starter for the entire year? And there is little depth at the positions that they do indeed play?

Trying to compare any other position to the QB position is asinine.

Adman, I prefer to use the port-a-potties for that particular task. Usually around 4pm when they are soooo nice and clean. But, maybe after an afternoon of tailgating, I can be convinced to leave a nice little present in there for you.

Done on this subject.

So you are saying that Orr, Bellazin, and Byrd play Quarterback, the most important position on the team, and they were put in to play just the last 1:30 of a game that was already decided? And Coach Dodge has already said that the starters (not them) for their positions will remain the starter for the entire year? And there is little depth at the positions that they do indeed play?

Trying to compare any other position to the QB position is asinine.

Adman, I prefer to use the port-a-potties for that particular task. Usually around 4pm when they are soooo nice and clean. But, maybe after an afternoon of tailgating, I can be convinced to leave a nice little present in there for you.

Done on this subject.

I don't think my comparing QBs to other positions is remotely close to as asinine as your position on trying to redshirt Thompson. I was one if not the most critical of Dodge for burning Thompson redshirt last year, but your position on Thompson this year is not only moot; it borders on the ridiculous.

Mop up minutes let him learn more about the speed of the game. That speed is the single largest difference between HS and college. According to players and coaches, practice can't simulate this speed which is why getting any playing time is good for a backup QB.

And if he has sat the entire year then went in following an injury in a still winnable game but was not sharp, Dodge and company would be pilloried for not getting him ready. For an example, look at Texas in the NC game and the reaction for NOT playing the backup more.

S

Done on this subject.

Hey Corky, that was directed at CBL. Note his avatar. Your reading comprehension seems to equal your football IQ.

• Upvote 2

Let's talk again after game 7 and then we will see who really is the football mentally challenged.

I guess for you reading is looking at pictures.

I thought you were finished with this topic.