My Qb Spotlight On The First Day Of Practice

GreenLegend37

I agree with the platoon against Clemson considering the coach's likely honest view of that game. Given the comment this week about Darius Carey: “We hope to get him back for the first game [at Clemson], but definitely I want to get him back for Rice and Army,".... one doesn't have to think hard to recall the STUNNING admitted strategy in Manhattan a couple years back replaying itself.

Platoon the QBs, figure out what works best, and get ready for Rice and Army... you know, the games we DEFINITELY want to be full strength for.

• Upvote 1

Most of Dunbars yards were on straight up handoff plays. Next "we need Riley" argument?

Do you watch the games with 'anti'-Dodge goggles on? Simply having a dynamic run/pass threat at QB opens things for the RB in this style offense. Would you argue that even that is not true? Unless TDodge was just blowing smoke in the press today about still running the zone-read as a our base running package, we're going to need a dynamic player at QB in order to run that effectively. I like Tune for his poise and passing ability...but I don't see how he's going to suddenly (I say suddenly since we have not yet seen it) develop into a running threat at QB. I hope he wins the job....but I imagine that our offense is going to have to change, from what we've seen the last 3 years, if we're going to run the football effectively with Tune running the zone-read most of the time. I'm not necessarily trying to knock either Tune or Thompson....the staff tweaked our offense when Riley took over last year(to take advantage of his running ability) and I think it's hard to argue that Dunbar didn't benefit greatly from those changes. It'll have to change again this year with someone else in there, and I hope that the staff figures out HOW to keep Dunbar and our running game the threat it was last year. There is no question that Tune is a better down the field passer than Riley....but if all we are is a one dimensional passing team, we're not going to be hard to defend.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

You miss my point. I'm not anti-Dodge by any stretch. But I, unlike many, think he is what he is. An incredibly quick, yet turnover and injury prone, quarterback. All I'm saying is that the sky will not fall without him. We have an average to below average defense. You need an offense that can do a few key things, manage clock and hold on to the football. I think Tune can do both. I think he can do something else too...throw downfield EFFECTIVELY. For everyone who worries about teams crowding the line to stop Dunbar, I think those fears are overdeveloped. Stratford and the other receivers can now hurt you in single coverage. Now you can fully utilize ALL of the new wrinkles Canales will bring in. And another thing, what

does it do for your offense when you can be sure your quarterback will be playing series to series and game to game? Continuity counts for something. When your backup stands a better than average chance of having to finish a game or start the next one I think you lose something. Bottom line, I think we will turn the corner this season and I think Riley being in the role he's in now...and hopefully Tune showing what he IS capable of...will get us there.

Do you watch the games with 'anti'-Dodge goggles on? Simply having a dynamic run/pass threat at QB opens things for the RB in this style offense. Would you argue that even that is not true? Unless TDodge was just blowing smoke in the press today about still running the zone-read as a our base running package, we're going to need a dynamic player at QB in order to run that effectively. I like Tune for his poise and passing ability...but I don't see how he's going to suddenly (I say suddenly since we have not yet seen it) develop into a running threat at QB. I hope he wins the job....but I imagine that our offense is going to have to change, from what we've seen the last 3 years, if we're going to run the football effectively with Tune running the zone-read most of the time. I'm not necessarily trying to knock either Tune or Thompson....the staff tweaked our offense when Riley took over last year(to take advantage of his running ability) and I think it's hard to argue that Dunbar didn't benefit greatly from those changes. It'll have to change again this year with someone else in there, and I hope that the staff figures out HOW to keep Dunbar and our running game the threat it was last year. There is no question that Tune is a better down the field passer than Riley....but if all we are is a one dimensional passing team, we're not going to be hard to defend.