Pc And Kevin Galbreath

SUMG

Surprise, surprise; once again no Walter Chapman.

Now that my annual rant is over, it looks like a good deserving group.

Yea, he was only the most dominating defensive lineman since Mean Joe Green. This is worse than Drew Pearson not being in the Ring of Honor. Maybe someone will finally call Hayden Fry about him.

Edited by Cooley

I am asking this respectfully Cooley but was he better than Booger? If so he was very special and the HOF folks need to get that fixed.

I saw them both. I wouldn't say that Walter was better than Booger.....but he was probably as good as. He was dominant.

http://books.google.com/books?id=eNThHqwUK7kC&pg=PA323&lpg=PA323&dq=walter+chapman+of+north+texas&source=bl&ots=McsKDs-beW&sig=BIFl0n2Pz6ZojWgTiDBFQkyWJTc&hl=en&ei=LKBTTKyCN8L58Ab0n7yQBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=walter%20chapman%20of%20north%20texas&f=false

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61044/m1/10/

http://books.google.com/books?id=uEqJXwQHe6kC&pg=PA478&lpg=PA478&dq=walter+chapman+of+north+texas&source=bl&ots=t0fI1N11bg&sig=cbaAWla2HFtvKVWrq-rRklQSJGs&hl=en&ei=SqFTTL7iKIOB8gat3piVCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CC4Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=walter%20chapman%20of%20north%20texas&f=false

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61044/m1/10/

http://books.google.com/books?id=uEqJXwQHe6kC&pg=PA478&lpg=PA478&dq=walter+chapman+of+north+texas&source=bl&ots=t0fI1N11bg&sig=cbaAWla2HFtvKVWrq-rRklQSJGs&hl=en&ei=SqFTTL7iKIOB8gat3piVCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CC4Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=walter%20chapman%20of%20north%20texas&f=false

Good stuff; lots of NT athletic history with Hayden Fry in that last link (proposed school name change to TSU, SWC admittance, basketball scheduling and leaving the MVC, etc.).

This link to North Texas history just confims my memories about the proposed name change. I always recalled that it was Hayden Fry who brought it up. It's also gratifying that I correctly recalled the SNAFU regarding Bill Brashier.....thank you sooooooo much Regents of 1978. We could have had consistency in our program (in his best John Belushi rant voice) BUT NOOOOOOOOOO, instead we had to piss off one of the best and most dedicated coaches/alumnus in North Texas history. Thank you again regents of 1978.

Back to the original discussion of Walter Chapman. I thought I remembered him very well, although I didn't remember that he was on a pre-season all-American list in the spring/fall of 77. That alone should have placed in the HOF.

I had a fairly lively exchange a while back with "Hookin'bull" about Walter Chapman and how he fits into the list of all time greatest DL's at North Texas. Naturally Joe Greene is the "given" regarding the greatest of all time. After that, I would have to include Walter Chapman, but I also thought that Rex Johnson was a little better. Too me, any all time great North Texas D-line would have to have Chapman, Johnson and Booger.

Booger vs Chapman? On his best days Booger was better, but Booger took too many plays off during a game. When he was out there Chapman played every play.

I agree that it's absurd that Chapman keeps being left off the list.

Edited by SilverEagle

From Sport Illustrated Vault (Nov 5, 1973)

LANDSLIDE VICTOR

Football coaches place a lot of faith, or at least interest, in polls (We're No. 1, and so forth), and head Coach T. W. Alley of the University of Louisville was therefore a bit miffed earlier this season when his star senior defensive back, Lonnie Schuler, was beaten out for Defensive Player of the Week in the Missouri Valley Conference by an unknown from North Texas State named Walter Chapman.

"Who's Chapman?" Alley asked.

"A freshman. Defensive tackle. Five feet, 10 inches. Weighs 244."

"A freshman?" Alley said with some irritation. "What did he do?"

"Well, he had 22 tackles and knocked down a pass."

There was a moment of silence. Then Alley said, "Where can I go vote for him

I will continue a little more rant. To me it is totally ridiculous that Chapman is not in the HOF. Saw a recent post on the official site talking about people left out of HOF and it mentions Camper and Lott. Both very good football players but neither were close to Chapman who was a starter and leader of the defense for four years. As for as comparison between defensive linemen for the Green. Yes, Joe Greene was obviously the best. After that it would be between Kennedy and Chapman. There are others that may have one on two great years: Cedic Hardman for example, but for a career no one matches Greene, Kennedy and Chapman. By the way, per article above has any other defensive lineman for NT ever come close to 22 tackles in a game, and that was for a freshman. Chapman like Kennedy played nose guard and was the focus of every opponents offense for four years. He regularly had double digit tackle games despite being double teamed. Kennedy was great and was a lot more flamboyant, but Chapman had a never stop motor.

Chapman suffers some because there are fewer and fewer fans left to remember him. He played in a time before the Internet and only played one year in a conference so he does not a bunch of readily available accolades. By the way he was all conference and freshman of the year in that one year.

Most of the HOF recipients are deserving but few more so than Chapman. I would hope that the committee, who ever they maybe, would take time out to do a little research and reward, although it would be way too late, one of the all time NT greats. Talk to Hayden or Chapman's teammates which include Jordan Case about his qualifications.

When speaking of UNT RB's where would you guys rank Pegram ? I ask because I only saw him in the NFL & not at UNT. How would you compare him to guys like PC & Galbreath. And where does he rank as far as UNT RB's over the past 20 or so years ?

From the ones I've seen : Cobbs,Dunbar,JMo

Dunbar could be #1 when all is said and done

When speaking of UNT RB's where would you guys rank Pegram ? I ask because I only saw him in the NFL & not at UNT. How would you compare him to guys like PC & Galbreath. And where does he rank as far as UNT RB's over the past 20 or so years ?

From the ones I've seen : Cobbs,Dunbar,JMo

Dunbar could be #1 when all is said and done

Erric was good, but wouldn't make my top 5: Cobbs, J Mo, Bernard Jackson, Dunbar, and Abner. (I didn't see Abner play). And those are in no particular order...

Erric was good, but wouldn't make my top 5: Cobbs, J Mo, Bernard Jackson, Dunbar, and Abner. (I didn't see Abner play). And those are in no particular order...

Pegram was a lot like Bernard Jackson....maybe a little faster. Bernard Jackson was more of a complete package however, he was equally dangerous carrying the ball and catching it out of the backfield. Because he was killed his senior year, we'll never know if he would have played in the NFL. Bernard Jackson was part of one of the best backfield tandems ever. Blocking for #23 was one of the best fullbacks ever to play at North Texas....Fred Gordon (#24 on your program). Fred was 6'3 X 240, quick off the line, a very strong runner, and the equal of Jackson on pass receiving. I never understood why he didn't have an NFL career.

It's interesting that Pegram never gained a thousand yards, but he had an NFL career.

While we are on the subject, who remembers the first 1K rusher ever at North Texas...... Leo Taylor. I never saw him play but after he left North Texas he played Canadian ball. For those who saw him play, how does he compare to the ones mentioned so far?

Leo Taylor was a tough runner who compares with the more modern running backs. He didn't get that many carries with the great passing game of Ramsey to Barry Moore, Ronnie Shanklin, etc. He did not have the speed of Cobbs, Dunbar, and a healty Thomas, but he ran as hard as any of them. Pegram was a much better back than he was given credit for. He played on bad teams with little blocking. I don't remember who the A&M back was when NT with Pegram played there, but he was highly honored. I remember thinking how much better Pegram was than he was. Only problem, most of pegram runs were under 3 yards; but they were maximum effort. I think Pegram was quicker than Cobbs and was a better receiver. IMO the best backs I have seen at NT were Taylor, Mike Jones, Bernard Jackson, Eric Pegrim, Cobbs, Thomas, Galbreath, Malcom Jones and Dunbar. I think Thomas had the best one year of any of them, but if I rated them based on a career contribution; Cobbs would be the best.

Rating who was the best back is difficult because of comparing those who benefited from DD run first offense and others that played in a much more balanced offense. Best being defined is who is the best running back not who did the most and had the best stats. Both Taylor who had a great Canadian football career and Pegram who was after Abner Haynes run in the pros had the best NFL career. Mike Jones, Bernard Jackson and Malcolm Jackson led Fry's offenses. It is interesting that all these backs except Dunbar and Pegram played on good teams. Leaving Dunbar out because he isn't finished and those I have not seen play college ball like. Haynes; I would rate the backs on an ability basis: 1. Thomas ( his freshman year) 2. Patrick Cobbs 3. Eric Pegram 4. Leo Taylor 5. Bernard Jackson (his junior year), 6. Mike Jones 7. Galbreath, 8. Malcom Jones. As most know, Jamario was never the same after his freshman year. Bernard who was great under Fry, was relegated to the bench by Jerry Moore (He was murdered during his senior football year but he was not a starter).

• Upvote 1

Leo Taylor was a tough runner who compares with the more modern running backs. He didn't get that many carries with the great passing game of Ramsey to Barry Moore, Ronnie Shanklin, etc. He did not have the speed of Cobbs, Dunbar, and a healty Thomas, but he ran as hard as any of them. Pegram was a much better back than he was given credit for. He played on bad teams with little blocking. I don't remember who the A&M back was when NT with Pegram played there, but he was highly honored. I remember thinking how much better Pegram was than he was. Only problem, most of pegram runs were under 3 yards; but they were maximum effort. I think Pegram was quicker than Cobbs and was a better receiver. IMO the best backs I have seen at NT were Taylor, Mike Jones, Bernard Jackson, Eric Pegrim, Cobbs, Thomas, Galbreath, Malcom Jones and Dunbar. I think Thomas had the best one year of any of them, but if I rated them based on a career contribution; Cobbs would be the best.

Rating who was the best back is difficult because of comparing those who benefited from DD run first offense and others that played in a much more balanced offense. Best being defined is who is the best running back not who did the most and had the best stats. Both Taylor who had a great Canadian football career and Pegram who was after Abner Haynes run in the pros had the best NFL career. Mike Jones, Bernard Jackson and Malcolm Jackson led Fry's offenses. It is interesting that all these backs except Dunbar and Pegram played on good teams. Leaving Dunbar out because he isn't finished and those I have not seen play college ball like. Haynes; I would rate the backs on an ability basis: 1. Thomas ( his freshman year) 2. Patrick Cobbs 3. Eric Pegram 4. Leo Taylor 5. Bernard Jackson (his junior year), 6. Mike Jones 7. Galbreath, 8. Malcom Jones. As most know, Jamario was never the same after his freshman year. Bernard who was great under Fry, was relegated to the bench by Jerry Moore (He was murdered during his senior football year but he was not a starter).

....but he was getting more playing time just before his death.